Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Another 'Diet Guru' Firing Away At Low-Carb To Sell His Weight Loss Book

I came across this press release for yet another new weight loss book from some "diet guru" trying to explain the answer to the obesity problem by firing accusations about low-carb that warrant discussion.

Communicating that low-carb products will not help you lose weight (hmmm, where have I heard that before), author Ori Hofmekler proclaims we have "never been fatter, never so unhealty" in what he describes as the "Dietary Dark Ages" today. He says this because so many people are on diets, but the obesity rates and the associated health ailments that follow keep going up and up to an all-time high.

Zeroing in on the low-carb food industry, Hofmekler said low-carbers buy these low-carb products to help watch their carbs, but are unsuccessful at keeping the weight off using these products.

Say what? Is this guy related to my friend Duncan Margetts (he sure sounds a lot like you, doesn't he Duncan)? While I know there are those who shun any and all Frankenfoods because they are not the "natural" foods that we should be eating, I have found them to be excellent helpers in my low-carb lifestyle. In my previous post, I listed a typical menu in a day. And, yes Sandy, for the most part, that's exactly how I ate even during my weight loss. I mix it up quite a bit, but the template for my food choices is found in that menu.

Hofmekler claims, "In the long run a low-carb dieter will most likely suffer from a fat gain rebound, gaining more weight then they initially lost."

It doesn't have to be that way. If you stick with livin' la vida low-carb as your new way of eating for the rest of your life, then you should be able to manage your weight forever. I have kept my weight off for nearly eight months since losing 180 pounds in 2004 and I firmly believe I will keep the weight off by continuing to with my low-carb plan. Of course, I do splurge every once in a while, but then I'm right back on the program.

There are two main reasons low-carb products do not lead to long-term fat loss, according to Hofmekler.

"One: Low-carb diets adversely affect the human capacity to generate energy, build tissue and maintain optimum health," he declared. "Two: Low-carb products are often made with low-grade carb substitutes, chemical additives, artificial sweeteners, sugar alcohol and often hydrogenated oil."

I get plenty of energy from my protein-rich foods while I am low-carbin' it! And my health has never been better in my entire life. I just can't believe I waited 32 years before finally doing something that was going to help me attain my greatest physical health. Oh well, but better late than never.

As for the low-carb products being too processed with additives (Hofmekler has to be related to Duncan Margetts now!), I will agree that many of them are, but who cares? While some people look at those products as irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, I am very thankful they exist to help people like me and millions of others reach the promised land of permanent weight loss.

Should I cut back on them? I probably eventually will, but they have been such an integral part of my success story that I will not shun them now. My weight has remained stable and I certainly don't get the sugar spikes anymore. Some people claim you are simply trying to "fool your body" into thinking it is having sugar and will make you crave sugar. I don't buy that argument. I despise anything and everything that has to do with sugar and you can credit this mental strategy for that. I do not knowingly put any sugar in my mouth and refuse to eat it anymore.

While people are using the alleged death of low-carb to push their products (remember this guy?), the fact is that so many of us who are livin' la vida low-carb are not detered by this negative attention and will keep on living our low-carb lives with a big smile on our faces. Lasting weight loss feels good, doesn't it?


Blogger Kent said...

When will the detractors ever learn, you can't promote yourself by putting down others. Too much long term experience and case studies have proven what he says about energy and health is B.S. People bounce back on every Diet, but that's the thing true low carb is not a temporary change. In order to be successful, it is long term or lifelong commitment to giving up the white stuff. Stop the commitment and a bounce will be in the future for you. Is that really the fault of low carb or its antithesis?


8/16/2005 9:04 AM  
Blogger duncan_m said...

Hey Jimmy,

No affiliation there but he does sound like me doesnt he! :)

Ori Hofmekler speaks a lot of sense but I haven't read the book and don't really know what the warrior diet is that he promotes.. BUT! given the availability of "warrior bars" from their website I dare say its just another "diet" masquerading as the truth and following it up with a slick marketing campaign to sell products.. I could be wrong.

On the other hand The Paleo Diet ( is grounded in science and doesnt have a slick marketing organisation behind it trying to turn it into a "profit center".

Jimmy, if we put aside the vegetarian vs ominvore debate the Paleo Diet is (for me) inarguably, unassailably the most correct, healthful, wellness promoting way of eating that exists.

There is simply NO modern food additive, chemical or product that can possibly improve upon what was originally available from Mother Nature. And given the terrible track record of our Food Producers (NOT Farmers) in introducing harmful substances into our diet and the countless rumours and innuendo about possible side effects of other products it makes so much sense to me to thumb my nose at the bizarre diets most of us now eat and where possible to get back to basics; eating whole foods, clean foods, unprocessed, untainted foods.

Jimmy, a constant thread I see running through your passionate discourse on Low Carb is Weight Loss.. but you need to understand that whilst you've gained huge health benefits from your weight loss there still a greater level of WELLNESS that you could strive for especially in the effort to avoid cancer. Our modern day societies are polluted and toxic and because of this you need to equip your body with the substances, nutrients, phytochemicals, and antioxidants that it needs in order to be well enough to fight off cancer (and it does this 24hrs a day) and quench free radicals that damage your DNA and eventually cause cancer and other diseases. You need to understand that there is clear evidence that links things like red meat to colon cancer and the sodium nitrite in processed meats to pancreatic cancer.

You need to appreciate that there's a huge range of evidence that says that less calories equals a longer life and that less calories doesnt have to equate to hunger. You need to understand that eating food puts a load on your body, the act of digesting food is a strain on your body, the less it has to do it the better off you will be.. and the most easily digested foods are those that are natural and don't require the transport of huge amounts of bizarre chemicals to your liver for (hopefully) eventual excretion.

Jimmy, I applaud your weight loss, I have no doubt you are well equipped to keep it off but your diet cannot be described as healthy and you are not well prepared to avoid cancer and other diseases. Paleo is essentially a low-carb diet, the original one. :)



8/16/2005 5:19 PM  
Blogger duncansajackass said...

Do we need to go through this again? Stay on your own paleo neanderthal website because no one wants to hear your jackassery here.

8/16/2005 5:59 PM  
Blogger DietKing said...

Please don't do that.

8/16/2005 7:24 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Now, now people. While I disagree with Duncan's enthusiastic support for the Paleo Diet, I respect his opinion enough to call him a friend. Let's be civil and debate ideas, not personalities. THANKS for everyone's comments!

8/16/2005 9:58 PM  
Blogger Levi said...

Jimmy, you do make Duncan out to be the sole or main opponent of processed low-carb foods, or "frankenfoods" as you call them. He may indeed be the most passionate and vocal, but he's not alone.

As I said in another post, I think the main way of bridging the gap with nutritionists is to push the type of low-carb that emphasises whole foods and shuns processed frankenfoods. You may indeed feel like you have been helped by the availability of these foods. But do you think you could have lost your weight without them? Everyone's different so it's very possible that you couldn't have done this. Others here have avoided these products and not had a problem sticking to the overall program. But everyone's an individual. I realize you say this already in so many words, but many of these products are too easy a target for critics of low-carb. If they came to the conclusion that everyone was eating whole foods, but just more meat than what they consider healthy, a big part of their argument is empty.

I do disagree with Duncan a little, though. While caloric reduction has shown to increase lifespan in mice, the actual method for that increase has not been proven, and there's actually a debate as to whether it's simply caloric restriction or the much lower insulin levels that accompany caloric reduction. Guess what else keeps that insulin level low? Low-carb eating! Of course if you are having huge numbers of calories, this can sometimes counteract it, but I really want to see a studies done that looks at caloric restriction vs carbohydrate restriction...

8/23/2005 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home