MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Friday, May 27, 2005

Low-Carb Perfect For Those Who Failed On Weight Watchers

I got a great e-mail this week from one of my readers who said she loves "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" and comes here every single day! THANK YOU!!!

She mentioned that she is a dedicated follower of the low-carb lifestyle and will continue to eat this way for the rest of her life.

However, just like everyone else who eventually comes to low-carb, she was on the Weight Watchers program and even lost 108 pounds because of what she called "sheer willpower." LOL! I can relate. That's how I lost 170 pounds on a low-fat diet in 1999. I get into that story in much greater detail in my upcoming book.

But her concern was with something I wrote in a recent blog about a man who alleged failed on low-carb and went to Weight Watchers instead.

Here's what I wrote: "I wonder how many pizza slices and cheeseburgers they let him eat on THAT diet?! I would venture to say ZIP, ZERO, NADA!"

I was responding to that person who said he couldn't keep doing low-carb because he couldn't have pizza and cheeseburgers. But my point was that Weight Watchers wouldn't allow him to have those foods either.

That's where my reader wanted to clarify that point for me.

Here's what she wrote: "I'm only defending Weight Watchers because I wouldn't want people to accuse you of not understanding that diet the way all others trash low carb because they don't understand it. Weight Watchers says you can eat anything, you just have to account for it. I had pizza and cheeseburgers many times during my weight loss. Couldn't eat much else all day, but there you have it."

Actually, although I never did Weight Watchers myself, I am pretty familiar with their points system. I understand how it works, but the fact is that you can't eat that way everyday in the quantities that you want and still expect to lose weight. With low-carb, there are NO limitations to the amount of those products (with the minor modifications I mentioned) that you can eat.

Therefore, the person who said he missed pizza and hamburgers while he was on low-carb actually could have had as much of them he wanted on low-carb. This is in stark contrast to his Weight Watchers program, which he claims is a permanent weight loss. We shall see.

As for my reader who used to be on Weight Watchers, she said she "stayed at [her] goal weight for about an hour or two." That's too funny! But, sadly, it's true. I can certainly relate because I also felt that way after my low-fat weight loss.

She added, "After that, it was a steady climb back up the scales. I wish I had discovered low carb right then as I'm sure it would have helped me maintain the loss. I didn't gain it all back, but enough to frustrate me into trying Atkins."

We are so thickheaded about our weight problem, but eventually come to the realization that livin' la vida low-carb is the only way to permanently remove this albatross from around our necks. It may have taken us a while to get here, but we finally did it for real this time! And our lives will never be the same again!

"No more cravings, no more digestive upsets, no more dissatisfaction, and I'm always in a great mood," the reader added.

And she's right. She admits she's not yet down to where she wants to be with her weight yet, but she knows she will be "much healthier and happier than" she was on Weight Watchers.

Amen to that! I think I'll celebrate with some pizza and cheeseburgers! :-O

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home