MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

What Right Do You Have To Talk About Low-Carb?

Since I first started writing about low-carb at this blog and openly challenging the static thinking that seems to exist in the media regarding issues of health, nutrition and fitness, I have had several people ask me the same basic question worded in various ways.

"What right do you have to talk about low-carb?"

More specifically, what they want to know is what qualifies me to talk so boldy about the low-carb lifestyle that I have the (fill in your favorite euphemism here) to confront medical researchers and doctors about the advice they are giving people about their diet? Who do I think I am questioning these experts as if I know more than they do?

As the comedian on Saturday Night Live playing Al Gore used to say in a sarcastically stoic manner, "That's an excellent question, Roger, and I thank you for it."

Let me begin by saying that I am by no means a medical expert nor do I have any professional training in the field of health, nutrition, or fitness. I am simply one man who was able to overcome his addiction to food to pull himself up out of deep pit of obesity thanks to the healthy alternative that the low-carb lifestyle offered me. As an avid writer, I felt compelled to share with the whole world what this amazing program has done for me so they might learn more about what it is and possibly be encouraged to do it for themselves.

That's it. If you want to know what "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" is all about in a nutshell, there it is. When I am passionate about something I tend to come across as quite aggressive and authoritative, especially in my writing style. That's just the way I like to write and have done so for many years on a variety of topics. My focus right now is on low-carb because of the miraculous turnaround it made in my life in 2004. You can't lose 180 pounds and be expected to sit quietly.

As for my propensity to challenge and question scientific medical research regarding health, nutrition and fitness, are we supposed to just swallow whatever it is that they tell us about those subjects without any public debate? Most of these so-called "experts" have been trained to believe that low-fat/low-calorie/portion-controlled eating is the ONLY way to be healthy. If they endorse low-carb programs such as Atkins which tends to be higher in fat than the food pyramid recommends, then it means all those years of telling patients to cut down on fat, calories and the amount of food they eat has been the wrong advice. We can't have that now, can we?

If anything is going to get done about the obesity crisis in America, then all options for dealing with it need to be put on the table. Low-fat. Low-carb. Whatever methods that are out there for losing weight, we need to look at them. I don't adhere to the "one-size-fits-all" approach, but I do believe there are basic principles that make some diet plans better than others for certain people. I am merely giving a voice to the low-carb lifestyle so people will have an informed decision about what this program has to offer them.

I am proud to live in a country that allows me the freedom to speak my mind and share with others something as special as permanent weight loss. It is something I count as a privilege and I would not trade it for anything. I'll keep shouting this message from the proverbial mountaintops of the world wide web because people need to hear the whole truth about healthy living, not just what the media and experts want us to hear.

Thank you to everyone who has stood with me in this endeavor. I consider you a friend in the battle against the misinformation that exists about low-carb. Keep fighting the good fight and come back here often to be refreshed and renewed as you take another step forward in your low-carb lifestyle. We will show the whole world that livin' la vida low-carb is an excellent way to lose weight, keep it off and restore your health.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Thanks for your poignant comments as always Levi! You are exactly right about the 'experts' and knowing that should cause us to walk around with a smile on our faces. I consider it a compliment when they pitch a fit about being challenged. It's about time they stop playing god with our health!

6/08/2005 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home