Wednesday, June 08, 2005

What Right Do You Have To Talk About Low-Carb?

Since I first started writing about low-carb at this blog and openly challenging the static thinking that seems to exist in the media regarding issues of health, nutrition and fitness, I have had several people ask me the same basic question worded in various ways.

"What right do you have to talk about low-carb?"

More specifically, what they want to know is what qualifies me to talk so boldy about the low-carb lifestyle that I have the (fill in your favorite euphemism here) to confront medical researchers and doctors about the advice they are giving people about their diet? Who do I think I am questioning these experts as if I know more than they do?

As the comedian on Saturday Night Live playing Al Gore used to say in a sarcastically stoic manner, "That's an excellent question, Roger, and I thank you for it."

Let me begin by saying that I am by no means a medical expert nor do I have any professional training in the field of health, nutrition, or fitness. I am simply one man who was able to overcome his addiction to food to pull himself up out of deep pit of obesity thanks to the healthy alternative that the low-carb lifestyle offered me. As an avid writer, I felt compelled to share with the whole world what this amazing program has done for me so they might learn more about what it is and possibly be encouraged to do it for themselves.

That's it. If you want to know what "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" is all about in a nutshell, there it is. When I am passionate about something I tend to come across as quite aggressive and authoritative, especially in my writing style. That's just the way I like to write and have done so for many years on a variety of topics. My focus right now is on low-carb because of the miraculous turnaround it made in my life in 2004. You can't lose 180 pounds and be expected to sit quietly.

As for my propensity to challenge and question scientific medical research regarding health, nutrition and fitness, are we supposed to just swallow whatever it is that they tell us about those subjects without any public debate? Most of these so-called "experts" have been trained to believe that low-fat/low-calorie/portion-controlled eating is the ONLY way to be healthy. If they endorse low-carb programs such as Atkins which tends to be higher in fat than the food pyramid recommends, then it means all those years of telling patients to cut down on fat, calories and the amount of food they eat has been the wrong advice. We can't have that now, can we?

If anything is going to get done about the obesity crisis in America, then all options for dealing with it need to be put on the table. Low-fat. Low-carb. Whatever methods that are out there for losing weight, we need to look at them. I don't adhere to the "one-size-fits-all" approach, but I do believe there are basic principles that make some diet plans better than others for certain people. I am merely giving a voice to the low-carb lifestyle so people will have an informed decision about what this program has to offer them.

I am proud to live in a country that allows me the freedom to speak my mind and share with others something as special as permanent weight loss. It is something I count as a privilege and I would not trade it for anything. I'll keep shouting this message from the proverbial mountaintops of the world wide web because people need to hear the whole truth about healthy living, not just what the media and experts want us to hear.

Thank you to everyone who has stood with me in this endeavor. I consider you a friend in the battle against the misinformation that exists about low-carb. Keep fighting the good fight and come back here often to be refreshed and renewed as you take another step forward in your low-carb lifestyle. We will show the whole world that livin' la vida low-carb is an excellent way to lose weight, keep it off and restore your health.


Blogger DietKing said...

Keep up the good work, Jimmy--there's definitely something to be said (and heard) about one such as yourself purging himself of the poisons both our government and the big food corporations have been telling us for eons it's okay to consume. Someone has to stand up. And stand proud you do.


6/08/2005 11:02 AM  
Blogger Levi said...

I do think there's a huge amount of arrogance in the "experts" who tell us what to do and feel threatened when people question them. I recently read a book that questioned some aspects of medicine by someone who had the time and tenacity to actually study the research herself although she was not formally trained in medicine. After the book came out some medical experts wrote her and asked her what she thought gave her the right to make such claims against these medically common/accepted practices when she had not gone the 4 years of medical school, years of residency, etc., etc. Her answer to them was that her brain and ability to read gave her this right.

So much of what experts tell us seem to be based on these "accepted" principles. It doesn't matter what field you are in. When a certain theory has become accepted, it is VERY hard for the scientific community to accept those who say, hey, let's look a little closer and make sure we're not completely off base here. It's a bit sad. I'm a big fan of science and have been since I was a kid. While there are some amazing scientists who are not afraid to question common wisdom (even the most common) if they see a flaw, there are 99 (or maybe 999) for each of those it sometimes seems to only want to mock that person for having unconventional opinions. Science is supposed to be dispassionate, but that seems hardly ever to be the case. I guess scientists are human like the rest of us, huh? :)

Jimmy, your passion definitely is a strength and that passion is justified from the great experience you've had with low-carb. While passion is always great and will motivate lots of people, you must also realize that scientists who pretend to be dispassionate will take issue with that passion, especially if it is directed at them. Your goal may not be at all to have any kind of dialog with these people, but rather just to motivate those who are in a similar position you were before you lost the weight, and that's fine. But I just wouldn't be surprised at comments from those who feel threatened because you are not speaking their "language." Of course, I think by now you probably wouldn't be surprised about almost any reaction!

6/08/2005 1:40 PM  
Blogger DietKing said...

I agree with Levi on this one too!

6/08/2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Thanks for your poignant comments as always Levi! You are exactly right about the 'experts' and knowing that should cause us to walk around with a smile on our faces. I consider it a compliment when they pitch a fit about being challenged. It's about time they stop playing god with our health!

6/08/2005 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home