MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, July 31, 2005

'Reflected Thoughts' Blog Entry Cuts To The Core Of Being Overweight

Do you need a gentle reminder of why you are livin' la vida low-carb? Then you need to read this touching story from a 23-year-old woman named Dee who pours her heart and her soul out in the words she writes about living as a fat person in this world.

In a blog entry from July 26, 2005, here are a few of the highlights of Dee's remarks:

"I grieved last night. For her. The one people point and laugh at, the one that people give shocking glances too, or exclaimed 'look what she’s eating, no wonder she’s that size.' I cried for her because she wants to pretend she’s invisible, that the world doesn’t see her flawless. That she doesn’t wear her pain on the outside...

She tries to make up for it by being kind, smart, and genuine to everyone around her. To impress others with her wit, or knowledge of the world. She lives every day in a place that focuses so hard on the material things, gives so much importance to the physical reflection, while she is trying to show them there is more out there – so much more than what she even allows them to see...

She strived for that acceptance recognition that she is worth existing here. The sting of laughter echoes in her ears, the stupid seconds of fat jokes that last for years in her mind. Her complete disgust in herself, she would stare so blankly at this suit, this suit that comprises all her hopes, and dreams, all her emotions and thoughts. She started to see the plastic, hollow body everyone else did....

She would wait for others to notice her. But they never seem to realize her – it’s much more then skin deep. She would let them tell her to her face 'should you really be eating that' because she made it painfully clear she knew she was fat, and that gave them the justification to make it painfully aware to her too...

I cried for her last night, because ... she still is, and was always me."


I don't know about you, but those few paragraphs leave me breathless and just sends chills up and down my spine every time I read it. It takes a lot of guts and courage to share those kind of comments with an ambivilant world who could not care less about people they don't think are beautiful. Dee has a real gift for piercing to the heart of the matter with her words and I hope she continues to write stuff like this! Be sure to read the rest of her comments at her blog called "Reflected Thoughts."

A couple of friends of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" responded to Dee's writings in comments at the "Reflected Thoughts" blog.

Diet King Adam Wilk wrote, "Very touching stuff--and very hard to read at times--very cutting, very deep, very sad--and very true. You write well. Adam"

Melting Mama Beth Badore, who helped me find Dee's blog entry (THANKS, Beth!), wrote, "Wow. Just, wow. ::breathe:: Beth"
 
I also wrote to Dee thanking her for sharing so freely what so many of us former and/or current overweight people have been wanting to express for years but didn't have the desire to open ourselves up for even more ridicule and shame.

Here's what I wrote at her blog:

I just came across your blog to read this narrative and all I can say is THANK YOU!!! You are speaking for so many of us in a way that hits home hard with a message that needs to be spread from shore to shore. God bless you for opening your heart and emotions through your writings and I pray you will find the special person that you are regardless of what people may think or say about you.

Jimmy Moore, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Man"
livinlowcarbman@charter.net
http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com


If you would like to share your comments about what Dee wrote, then you can write to her at reflectedthoughts@gmail.com. We owe this young lady a HUGE debt of gratitude for opening herself up like this and we should encourage her to keep sharing her writings! When you e-mail her, tell her "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Man" sent you. :-)

08/02/2005 UPDATE: After reading my response to her blog entry, Dee wrote me this e-mail:

Hi Jimmy,

Just wow, seriously I am so flattered I didn't even know what to say when I first read it, I just sat here thinking Wow, I'm glad someone else knows what it feels like - kind of takes away from my worry of
posting things like that on my blog. Because for as many people judge me for it, if I can help just one person realise they're not so alone - in their fight, in their doubts then it's worth it.

I also wanted to say Congratulations for your amazing weight loss! I'm just so amazed at the transformation of your whole life, and you seem to have that glow of a person truly content with how their life is headed, that they know their in control [of most things anyways] if they choose it. AND ALSO for the book!! how awesome is that! you must be stoked [I don't know if you guys use that word over there but it
basically means really happy, chuffed lol it might have been easier to just write that].

Keep up the good fight! It's awesome that you're so willing to share with others that might be lost out there in the world of Diets and Fads and All kinds of things. You look really happy, and after all - isn't that the underlying fundamental of living.

Kudus to you, and thank you again.

Cheers,

Dee


With a positive demeanor and enouraging spirit, this young lady is well on her way to becoming something great. I can't wait to read more from her in the future. THANKS, Dee! And, by the way, yes I know what "stoked" mean. :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!!, this made me cry. I am going to share this with my weight loss friends.

5/09/2008 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home