MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, October 31, 2005

Golf Legend Says Avoid Atkins Diet 'At All Costs'

This London Telegraph story about professional golf legend Gary Player included a disturbingly opinionated comment from him about livin' la vida low-carb that I could not believe came out of his mouth.

Celebrating his 70th birthday on Monday, the South African-born Player stands at 5'7" tall and 150 pounds. He's not what you would describe as someone who has to worry about his weight. Nevertheless, that didn't stop him from making a very blunt personal statement about what he thinks of the weight loss program developed by the late Dr. Robert C. Atkins.

"Stay away from it at all costs," Player is quoted in this column as saying about the Atkins diet.

As an avid fruit and vegetable eater, including the extremely high-carb bananas, Player said he recommends people to "under-eat and over-exercise."

Translation: Eat less calories than you burn off in exercise. In other words, calories in vs. calories out.

Sigh.

I guess Player hasn't seen what livin' la vida low-carb has done for fellow professional golfer Colin Montgomerie, who has slimmed down and greatly improved his play ever since.

It would have been nice to know why Player was so adamant that people "stay away" from the low-carb lifestyle like it was the plague. I wonder if he's just reading all the negative information being disseminated throughout the media about the Atkins diet. That is such as shame because it leads to poor conclusions about livin' la vida low-carb relying on other people's opinions about it.

If a public figure like Gary Player expresses his thoughts about low-carb living so nonchalantly, then people may believe what he says is true. But I urge Player and any other celebrity in the world of sports and entertainment to learn more about the exciting low-carb lifestyle and realize what a tremendous impact it is having on millions and millions of people to help them lose weight permanently and take back their health.

Had it not been for livin' la vida low-carb, then I would likely be pushing 500 pounds and on the verge of a heart attack, stroke, or even death because of my morbid obesity. Thankfully, low-carb shed over 180 pounds off of me and I am a healthy, active, and VERY energetic man today. That's the difference low-carb made for me.

Had I chosen to "stay away from it at all costs," then I would never have been able to enjoy the superb health I have today. I'm sure Player meant well, but he is just wrong about the Atkins diet and low-carb living.

You can inquire with Gary Player about why he dislikes livin' la vida low-carb by filling out this contact page at his web site. Let me know if you get a response from him or a representative about why he opposes the low-carb lifestyle. I'll update you if I get an answer (but I don't expect to get one).

11-4-05 UPDATE: Several of you have heard back from a representative for Gary Player who provided the following general response:

Thank you for your recent message to Mr. Player with regards to his comments on the low carb diet. Please know that Mr. Player is currently traveling outside of the country on business and will not be returning until mid-November. At that time, he will be given your message for his review and reply.

We apologize if you have been offended and can assure you that Mr. Player will see your message. If I can be of any further assistance at this time prior to Mr. Player's return, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Debbie Longenecker
Director of Administration
Gary Player Group, Inc.


If anyone else receives a response from Debbie on behalf of Gary Player, especially when he explains why people should "stay away from (low-carb) at all costs," please forward that to me at livinlowcarbman@charter.net. THANKS!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

While I am not a celebrity, I agree with Player; the Adkins diet is the death nell for Americans that follow it. The research is clear. One only has to read T. Colin Campbell's book, The China Study, to learn the truth. Truth about diet is obscured by the profit motive, not pure motives to promote public health.

2/06/2007 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home