MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Weight Loss Wimps Need Not Apply

When I talk to people about the subject of weight loss, especially the livin' la vida low-carb way, I invariably run into a familiar subject of conversation that goes something like this:

"I don't see how you can keep eating low-carb foods all the time. I tried the Atkins diet myself and it just didn't work for me because I felt so bad the three days I was on it. Can you ever eat bread, pasta, and sugar again? That just sounds too hard! Isn't there an easier, less painful way to lose weight?"

I hear and read comments like these literally all the time. It sometimes drives me nuts because you can tell these people are sincere in what they are saying, but they are so misguided about what the purpose of the low-carb lifestyle is all about. The main problem is that people look at it simply as a "diet" and not as a lifestyle change. In order for a real change to happen to your body, you have to make up your mind at the very beginning that you want to make this a permanent part of your daily life for the rest of your life. Otherwise, once the "diet" is over, you'll be gaining all of your weight right back (trust me, I've been there, done that way too many times in my life and it is no way to live).

Most people fail to look at the big picture when it comes to bringing about permanent and lasting weight loss for themselves. Sadly, they are stuck in the here and now rather than in what is to come. Truth be told, most of us are exactly like that and choose to remain stay stuck in the here and now in the hopes that whatever is to come later will be better. We can hope all we want, but nothing will happen unless we take positive actions towards making it happen. Personal initiative and a drive to make yourself better will put you on the right path towards improving yourself. Losing 180+ pounds did not happen overnight, but it started with taking that first step of faith knowing that someday I would be where I should be.

How about you? Isn't it time to break this ruthless cycle of weight problems once and for all? Stop being a weight loss wimp whining and complaining about what you can and can't have and how much it will hurt to go through the process of losing weight. If you are serious and really want to do something about being overweight or obese, then now is the time to put away all the excuses and take a quick reality check for yourself. Is your weight where you want it to be? Better yet, is your weight where it NEEDS to be? If not, then you have a problem that needs to be addressed immediately.

If your house was on fire, then would you take the same attitude that you'll do something about it eventually? Heck no, you'd be dialing 9-1-1 faster than you could say fire engine to try to prevent further damage. The same goes for your health and physical well-being. Your proverbial house is on fire if you are carrying around 50, 100, or 200 pounds or more of fat on your body. When I weighed over 400 pounds, I was just a ticking timebomb waiting to explode at any moment. I dialed up my emergency number in the form of the low-carb lifestyle and was able to not only put out the fire, but begin rebuilding my dream home by making my body leaner and fit. The remodeling project for me is still a work in progress, but I'm well on my way to putting the finishing touches on a lifelong aspiration of being the thin man I always knew was living inside of me.

But it's just too hard, some will say. Why? Because there will be some pain involved? Think of it this way. You've been living your life carefree as you allowed your weight to go up and up and up. The experience has been pleasurable most of the time because you have not had any restrictions on what you ate, when you ate, or how much you ate. But as a wise man once said, there will be payday someday and that day is now. It will be difficult, yes, but it will not be impossible. As the Nike slogan says, JUST DO IT! When you do, you will see quick and lasting results livin' la vida low-carb.

The argument that losing weight on low-carb is not worth the effort is just plain cockamamy. Weight loss wimps who give up at the first inkling of pain or discomfort need not apply to the low-carb lifestyle or any "diet" plan out there for that matter. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is ever going to work for you until you are ready to face the obesity monster one-on-one no matter what it takes. You need to suck it up, get started as soon as possible, and watch those pounds come pouring off of your body until you reach the weight you need to be. If you can endure through some minor aches and pains along the journey until you reach the end of that road and beyond, then I promise you that your life will never be the same again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home