MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Welcome HJ Weekly Readers

If you found this blog today after reading about my weight loss success story and upcoming book in HJ Weekly in Spartanburg, SC, then I would like to officially welcome you to the "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog. We've been online since April 2005 and discuss anything and everything regarding the incredibly healthy and delicious low-carb lifestyle. It has radically changed my life for the better and I am sharing with the whole world what livin' la vida low-carb can do for them!

The unbelievably positive media attention I have been getting about my 180+ pound weight loss success story and soon-to-be released book continues as I was featured along with several other weight loss success stories in an article that appeared in HJ Weekly, a free newspaper publication that is delivered to every single home in Spartanburg County, South Carolina. What an incredible opportunity this was for me and my book!

Unfortunately, there is not an online version of this newspaper, so I do not have a link to provide to my non-Spartanburg, SC readers. But, as a service to those of you who faithfully come here daily for the best low-carb information and commentary on the Internet, the following is a reprint of the excerpt chronicling my story of weight loss triumph thanks to the low-carb lifestyle:

******************************
HJ Weekly
Vol. 1, No. 20
Tuesday, October 4, 2005

"Fit For Life"
by Kim Ingram

More than 2 million South Carolinians are overweight.

A recent study entitled "F as in Fat: How Obesity Policies Are Failing In America 2005" ranked the Palmetto State 10th in the U.S. in highest rate of adult obesity.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, over 60 percent of South Carolina adults are overweight or obese.

It's an epidemic costing the state more than its health. Obesity-atrributable medical costs for South Carolina topped $1 billion in 2003.

HJ Weekly takes a look at how some local men and women lost weight and regained their health.

------------------------------

Atkins works for Moore

While popular diets may have failed [others], they delivered amazing results to Spartanburg resident Jimmy Moore.

Moore has successfully lost weight regularly exercising and following the Atkins diet program.

Moore, 33, weighed 410 pounds and was beginning to consider gastric bypass surgery when he read the late Dr. Robert Atkins' book "New Diet Revolution."

Although he lost 170 pounds on a low-fat diet in 1999, he gained back "every single pound" within six months.

Moore decided to give the Atkins diet a try in January 2004. He lost 14 pounds during the first week. He began working out on his lunch break once he lost 30 pounds.

All the hard work paid off. In one year, Moore lost 180 pounds following the Atkins diet program and exercising everyday.

He has managed to maintain the weight loss for nine months.

Even though Moore has been on numerous diets and lost weight on several of them, he said he always gained the weight because he never changed his lifestyle. His diets were "quick-fix band aids" to deal with his weight problem. "I'm not on a diet now," he said. "There's a beginning and an end to a diet. This is a lifestyle change."

Moore said he is still a "huge eater." He doesn't limit his portions or monitor his caloric intake but he has banished carbohydrates and sugar from his diet. "I couldn't even tell you how many fat grams I eat in a day. I couldn't tell you how many calories I eat in a day. I definitely don't care how much food I put in my mouth. I put as much in my mouth until I'm satisfied."

But Moore does balance his appetite with exercise. He spends 45 minutes to an hour on an elliptical machine every day. Occasionally, he returns to the gym at night and goes through the same routine.

Asked what's kept him focused, Moore said, "The desire to prove my naysayers wrong. There are a lot of people who have seen me lose weight before and gain it back. Those people are watching me now. I don't blame them."

Self-help books

Moore has written a book detailing his experience. "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb: My Journey From Flabby Fat to Sensationally Skinny" will be available on his website http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com in two weeks.

******************************

I would like to personally thank Kim Ingram, the reporter who wrote this story, for interviewing me and giving me the opportunity to share my experience with others. I hope and pray that many will be inspired and motivated to do something about their obesity problem before it is too late. If you ever need encouragement, just drop me an e-mail! I've been there not that long ago and I know how hard it is. Hang in there because better days are coming when you start livin' la vida low-carb.

10-6-05 UPDATE: I was informed today that the entire article was posted online. You can read it at this link to be encouraged by the other success stories as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I'm happy for you to be getting such good press before the book comes out.
You deserve it; you've worked so hard.

10/04/2005 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home