MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Jared, Traffic, Bill O'Reilly & Low-Carb Man?

Last month I shared with you about an anonymous reviewer at Amazon.com posting a nonsensical "review" of my Livin' La Vida Low-Carb book.

Well, it happened again today from someone calling himself "Real Name" from the "Real World."

Am I THAT threatening to these people that they have to resort to fake names and addresses just to take a swipe at me?! I'm laughing my head off at these people because it is obvious to everyone how transparent they are in their hatred and disdain for the low-carb lifestyle and, by the virtue of my impassioned support for low-carb, me as well.

Describing me as "The Jared of Low-Carb" (uh, thanks, I think!), this "reviewer" obviously didn't read my book and simply wanted to make some point about me personally in his review:

"[This] man in the suit has just bought a new car with the profit he's made on your dreams"

A little less angst and less pride and this author may gain worldy respect. Mr. Moore sort of reminds me of Bill O'Reilly.


Does this make a lick of sense to you? It didn't me either.

Of course, I recognize the quote as a lyric from the Steve Winwood-led early 1970s band Traffic off of their Low Spark of High Heeled Boys album. Great CD, by the way which ironically came out the same year I was born.

I suppose Mr. "Real Name" thinks I am somehow profiteering immensely from the sale of my book on the backs of the hopes and dreams of people desiring to lose weight. HA! To quote Cuba Gooding, Jr. in the movie Jerry McGuire, "Show me the money!" LOL!

Seriously, does this person think I'm getting rich writing at this blog and from my book? Hardly. While a financial blessing would be a great benefit of what I am doing, it certainly is not my purpose in what I do. I earnestly desire to help people find the joy and freedom that I now experience because of the change that has happened in my life. That's why I invest so much time and effort into making this the best possible blog it can be. Money is NOT why I do it or I would have stopped a long time ago.

Losing close to 200 pounds has quite an effect on who you are as a person and your outlook on life. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I just feel like I've woken up from a comatose state and realized just how wonderfully awesome life is again. My enthusiasm for sharing my story is only exceeded by the enormous sense of newfound purpose I now feel I have to give people the hope and motivation that I had to accomplish their own weight loss success.

I make no apologies for that and will continue to encourage people as well as stand firm and defend the low-carb lifestyle from those who seek to destroy it forever. As long as I am able to make my voice heard, it WILL be heard regardless of what others may think my "motive" is for doing so. Anyone who knows me personally will tell you that I am a wide open book and that what you see is what you get.

In fact, I personally answer EVERY e-mail I receive from EVERYONE who writes to me at livinlowcarbman@charter.net. I ENJOY hearing from people and helping them in their journey through livin' la vida low-carb. You don't believe me? Try sending me an e-mail and watch what happens. :)

The reviewer goes on to say that my "angst" and "pride" keep me from getting "worldly respect." But guess what, Mr. "Real Name?" I'm not looking for respect from this world because I am only required to please the God who created me. If people like what I do, then again that is a bonus. But I don't look for the accolades of the world to give me legitimacy. God has already done that by making me His child.

As for being angry and prideful, I suppose my writing style may come across to some as being rather DIRECT and IN YOUR FACE. That is purposeful because it is how I choose to write. If that offends people, then so be it. But I am not about to change that just because somebody thinks I'm being too arrogant or vile. I treat people with respect and simply point out the error in their ways when appropriate. Is this person trying to psychoanalyze me, too?!

Finally, being compared to a popular talk show host like Bill O'Reilly is an true honor. He is one of the most successful opinion hosts in the media today and has millions upon millions of people watch his television show on The Fox News Channel as well as listen to his Radio Factor show. If I had access to just an inkling of the number of people who are influenced by his shows each day, then I WOULD be a rich man. :)

I say all of that to say this: Why are these cowards hiding behind the cloak of secrecy? If you are truly against livin' la vida low-carb, then say it loud and say it proud. Rather than seeking to destroy those who support the low-carb lifestyle, how about telling us why you are against it so much? A healthy discussion focusing on the merits of low-carb would be an educational and entertaining endeavor, don't you think?

Is anyone up to the challenge of debating low-carb without resorting to futile personal attacks and fake names? Be a man and stand firm in your heartfelt convictions? Will the real low-carb haters please stand up? I'm waiting...

12-30-05 UPDATE: Here's another cowardly "review" posted today from yet another anonymous reviewer named Helena Handbasket (Hell in a handbasket) from New York:

"Don't waste your money on this book. If you have ever read a diet success story in a magazine or seen one on Oprah, you have basically read this book. The only difference is the overbearing conceit and the cutsy-poo writing style will make you cringe. Yeah, he lost weight. Yeah, low carb works; I follow the lifestyle myself and know a thing or two about it. As much, in fact, as Mr. Moore does; I can read, too. There is nothing new here except the fact that Mr. Moore is a legend in his own mind."

LOL! If this person is truly a low-carb weight loss success story, then why wouldn't he rejoice in the fact that someone else has also done the same. I don't know anyone who has lost weight on low-carb that is this envious of someone who has done the same.

It is very telling that these bad "reviews" of my book are all by people who are anonymous and this is their first review on Amazon.com. Hmmmm. Me thinks we're starting to drive the low-fatties crazy with my book. Sweeeeet!

3 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

These are standard tactics, Jimmy. It merely proves that you are right on the facts and the data. If they cannot attack those, they will try and discredit the person.

The truth always annoys someone. Just remember the wise words of Gandhi:

"Wrong has no prescriptive right to exist merely because it is of a long standing"

You keep doing the right thing and telling the truth! Keep up the good work!

12/29/2005 11:36 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS for your support, Science. I LOVE it when we rile 'em up like this. They show their true colors. :)

12/29/2005 11:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Finally, being compared to a popular talk show host like Bill O'Reilly is an true honor. He is one of the most successful opinion hosts in the media today and has millions upon millions of people watch his television show on The Fox News Channel as well as listen to his Radio Factor show.

I'd take that as a compliment, too. I sometimes see his program before bed. I and love the beginning and end where he speaks his mind on a given topic and reads peoples' letters. :)

1/01/2006 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home