MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Why Did 'The New You Show' Hosts Mock Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Man?

On my way back from a book signing in Columbia, SC this afternoon, I had the opportunity to appear on a top-rated health and fitness radio program based in Dallas, Texas called "The New You Show." I appreciated the opportunity to share my weight loss success story with the hosts and listeners of the show, but I must admit to you that I was astonished by what I heard the hosts discussing during the break after my interview had concluded and they had not yet disconnected the line with me.

The interview itself was engaging as the hosts asked me what it was like to weigh 410 pounds, what triggered me to want to lose weight this time, what and how much do I eat, how do I know I'm going to keep the weight off, etc. The 30-minute segment literally flew by so fast it was almost a blur. They had one caller ask me about my hanging skin and whether I have had it taken care of yet. I responded that I had not had it done yet, but that I would like to someday when I can afford to do it.

I even fielded THE question by the resident obese person at "The New You Show" named Dixon. He weighs 365 pounds and wanted to know why I have come out so quickly after losing weight on the low-carb lifestyle and so boldly champion it for others to follow. Apparently he doesn't believe my lifestyle change is permanent and questioned my nerve for sharing my story with the world in the form of a book with a promotional tour when it has been less than a year since I lost the weight.

That's a fair question and I have addressed this question previously in this blog post. I basically stated that I am merely sharing my success story as a means for inspiring and motivating others to do something about their weight problem, too.

At the end of the interview, the hosts thanked me for being on the show and gave a plug for my book and blog. I appreciated that and the great opportunity to talk about low-carb with their listeners in Dallas.

But imagine my surprise when I hung on the line at the end thinking I might be able to speak with the show's producer to thank him for having me on the show and I overheard the hosts going to a break and then talk about my comments in a mocking tone with each other. That's was kinda freaky, especially since they undoubtedly had no idea I could hear every word they were saying.

I heard them say phrases like, "can you believe that guy?" and "what nerve he has for writing a book so soon after losing weight!" Another one of the hosts ridiculed me for eating turkey and cheese rollups dipped in mayonaisse and said there was no way he could eat that way. All of these comments were spoken in a "whatever" tone of voice that indicated they weren't buying into anything I wrote about in "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb."

Co-host Jonny Bowden apparently was not in the studio with his co-hosts since he sounded like he was on a telephone during the interview because his comments and questions were very hard for me to hear. But I'm sure he heard these snide comments from his co-hosts as well.

While the hosts of "The New You Show" seemed to have a big laugh at my expense today, that's okay. I'll be the one who will have the last laugh as I continue to maintain my weight loss and remain the healthy, vibrant man I am today thanks to livin' la vida low-carb. A special thanks to Jonny Bowden for inviting me to come on the show and I appreciated the experience of being on "The New You Show."

Maybe I can come back again in the future WHEN I've kept the weight off a little longer and share how well low-carb living works as a long-term way to control your weight for good. We'll see who's laughing then! :)

You can e-mail "The New You Show" at emil@thenewyou.com. Ask them what is so funny about a man who has been able to lose over 180 pounds and maintain that weight loss. Tell 'em "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Man" wants to know. :-O

2 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Don't let them get you down Jimmy! They're just jealous and in disbelief that you were actually successful in your hard work to lose and keep off the 180+ pounds! Kudos to you, and extra kudos for keeping your chin up in spite of their ignorance!!

12/11/2005 6:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They're still stuck in the low fat dogma that fat makes you fat. You must be lying because carbs make you thin and fat in your mouth turns into fat on your body as soon as you eat it, don'cha know?

4/19/2006 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home