MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

3-Hour Diet: Bestselling Low-Carb Book?


Why is Amazon listing The 3-Hour Diet as the #1 low-carb bestseller?

So I'm surfing around Amazon.com today and I wanted to look up the bestselling books according to various categories. Lo and behold, wouldn't you know it that they have a "Low-Carb" section that lists all the top sellers in the wonderful world of low-carb publishing.

But imagine my surprise when I get to the Top Sellers page for low-carb books and was stunned to find what the #1 selling low-carb book is: Jorge Cruise's The 3-Hour Diet!

Regular readers of my blog know what I think about this book from this review I wrote when it first came out in 2005. The thing that attracted my attention about the book was the startling subtitle -- "How Low-Carb Diets Make You Fat and Timing Makes You Thin."

If that wasn't enough to convince you this book is NOT a low-carb book, then the contents certainly would. Like so many other "diet" books on the market these days, Cruise recommends that people eat less than 1500 calories a day made up of little meals throughout the day to help them lose up to 2 pounds a week. He says you can eat all the carbs you want on his fad diet plan and still lose weight.

How then can The 3-Hour Diet be considered a "low-carb" book? Is somebody smoking crack over at Amazon?

I think I know why this book got categorized as a "low-carb" book rather than a "weight loss" or "general diet" book. It goes back to the subtitle -- "How Low-Carb Diets Make You Fat and Timing Makes You Thin." Undoubtedly, Amazon uses a computer program to help them put the millions of titles they have in their database in the appropriate categories according to keywords in the title of the book. The computer saw "low-carb" in the title and therefore listed it as a low-carb book.

But what are they thinking listing The 3-Hour Diet as their #1 top seller for low-carb books?! Isn't somebody watching out for these kind of agregious errors? Somebody wake up over there at Amazon!!!

Send Amazon your comments about The 3-Hour Diet being listed among the bestselling low-carb books.

Go to The 3-Hour Diet page at Amazon, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the "Suggestion Box" section and click on the box that reads "Product information is missing important details." Then type in a brief comment explaining that this title should not be listed among the "low-carb" books and should be reclassified immediately. Finally, click "submit" and pat yourself on the back for helping others avoid the mistake of purchasing Jorge Cruise's book thinking it's low-carb.

And that's my primary problem with his book being among the low-carb books. Jorge Cruise is extremely anti-low-carb and proud of it, too! Why else would he so boastfully proclaim on the front cover of his book that "low-carb diets make you fat?!" The man has his reasons for doing it, but it is an insult to those of us who are livin' la vida low-carb to even see a book like The 3-Hour Diet listed among the "low-carb" bestsellers. I don't want anyone to confuse the twisted teachings of Jorge Cruise with what those of us on the low-carb lifestyle do to maintain our weight.

Hopefully Amazon will do the right thing and fix this as soon as possible.

By the way, when I was looking at the low-carb top sellers, I noticed Livin' La Vida Low-Carb was within the Top 50 as of this blog post. That's pretty neat, isn't it?! :)

A special THANK YOU to everyone who has supported me by getting my book. I hope you have enjoyed it and I encourage you to write a review at Amazon.com if you haven't done so already! THANK YOU!

6 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Yeah, that sounds like real science to me: a "3-hour" diet, as if the human metabolism only recognizes food during 3 hours of the day, calorie restriction, portion control, blah blah blah...

What a crazy world this is. It's a bloody miracle anybody is buying this crap!

BTW: the proper category to suggest to Amazon for this book is "pseudoscience" or perhaps "horror". Don't suggest "Science Fiction" as that would be an insult to some great authors in that genre.

1/10/2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It opened another page and asked me to choose between these problems:
Author
Binding
Edition
Format
Language
Number of Pages
Publication Date
Run Time
Title
Volume

I wasn't sure what to choose.

1/10/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

I would say "title". The title is, at the very least, misleading. If you can add comments you could remark that this is an excellent example of the total waste of perfectly good trees :)

1/11/2006 2:41 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Hey newbirth,

When you click on the "Product information is incorrect" box, don't click on the link that is beside the verbage. There is not a listing for categorization. Just mark the box and then write your comment in the space provided. They'll get the message. THANKS so much!

1/11/2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Oh, I see what you are saying. Use the "missing important details" box instead. THANKS!

1/11/2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger April said...

The thing that annoys me about so many of these diets is that they quote calorie levels that are nutty, unless like me you are a *very* petite woman, and you've taken a long time to work your calorie level down. There is no man out there who should eat less than 1500 calories a day!

My boyfriend is hardcore CR'd (for life-extension purposes, not weight loss) and eats 1843 calories a day, all perfectly weighed and measured. He's a Zone-head, so he eats P:C:F 30:40:30. But at those calories, and I remind you, perfectly weighed and measured, every bite (we are so cute with our little scales!) he has a BMI of 15.6. Now he is naturally skinny, and was thin before he started CR (back when he ate whole pizzas and such!) but point being, no man, unless he is five feet tall, should be eating less than 1500 a day.

Now on the other hand, if you're 5'2" like me and female, you might find that you can hold a slim but not skinny weight on less. I've been averaging 1300 and holding 102 with no hunger (except right before meals, of course!)... just putting effort into getting optimal nutrition. I just dropped down to 1150 and am doing well. I cut down on carbs, btw, when I cut calories. Kept my protein the same and upped my fat (all unsaturated sources) a little. Love those almonds... Pre-CR, I weighed 137. Found that by upping my protein, cutting down on carbs (bye bye bagels!) and upping my unsaturated fats (flax oil, olive oil, almonds, hazelnuts) I was able to lose weight, and eat many fewer calories without feeling hungry or all those other horrible things I used to feel on a high carb, lowfat diet.

Did you read about the Bernstein diet? People falling over fainting on that one cause they're not eating enough!

Do you use nutritional software? I think it is so much fun!!! It's like my favorie videogame. If I didn't have to work, I'd probably play with it all day, like those people who used to get addicted to Tetris!

a

1/16/2006 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home