MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Friday, January 20, 2006

$50 Cab, Fire Alarms, Low-Carbers in NY

$50 cab ride. Horns honking. Please yelling out their windows. Yep, it's gotta be New York City!!!

Hey everyone, I'm here in Brooklyn, New York this weekend for the big Nutritional & Metabolic Aspects of Carbohydrate Restriction conference featuring the latest and greatest in the science and research behind livin' la vida low-carb.

WOW, I'm like a star-struck teenager with all of these giants in the low-carb scientific community within just a few feet of me. Today was the first day of the conference and I was privileged to meet so many people for the first time in person: Dr. Richard Feinman, Dr. Jeff Volek, Veronica Atkins (yep, THE Veronica Atkins -- a very gracious woman!), Jackie Eberstein (who wrote a blurb for the back of my book), Dr. Manny Noakes from Australia, Hannah Sutter with GoLower bars from Britain, Regina Wilshire and her husband Dr. Gil Wilshire, and so many more.

I will be blogging about all of these people and more in the coming weeks and months ahead, including sharing with you all the wonderful data I have been gathering. Boy oh boy, is there ever some GREAT information about the low-carb lifestyle that you should be VERY excited about if you are an active low-carber or even if you are simply considering it. The media may be declaring this way of eating dead, but the research behind the scenes is going haywire right now. WOO HOO!

Let me confess something to you, though. While I have enjoyed many of the presentations, some of it has gone a little over my head. When they start getting into the nitty gritty of the science, my eyes start to glaze over and all I hear is "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH carbohydrate...BLAH BLAH BLAH protein...BLAH BLAH BLAH fat!" LOL! I'm not kidding, it can get just a wee bit technical.

But I am taking copious notes on the parts I am understanding and each of the presenters are readily available to talk with any of the couple hundred attendees to answer their questions. This community of scientists are passionate about their work and are more than willing to break it down into management parts for better understanding to the lay person. I can certainly appreciate that.

It's getting late now and I'm still trying to fight the ZZZZ's from the two early morning wake-up calls we got in our hotel thanks to a faulty fire alarm that went off at 2:45am and 4:30am. But I got to see the FDNY up close and personal although it turned out to be a false alarm. Nevertheless, it's made for an entertaining time in New York for my first visit here ever.

Just stay away from the taxis! :) I hope to share more with you soon while I am in Brooklyn. If not, then I'll have LOTS to share when I get back.

3 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Maybe our trusted friend Gorran set off the fire alarm so he and his cronies can prepare a new press release that low-carb diets cause a lack of sleep :)

1/20/2006 10:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I'm so jealous! I would have loved to attend and meet Mrs. Atkins. I saw her when Biography did Dr. Atkins and she seemed like a nice person on camera at least.

1/22/2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had a 3:30 a.m. wake up call this morning. Somebody's car alarm went off - multiple times. I thought it would never stop so I could go back to sleep. :-p Hopefully I can sleep in a bit tomorrow and still make it to the gym.

1/23/2006 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home