MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, January 29, 2006

AP Reporter Quotes Low-Carb Success In Column About Weight Loss Pill

As I blogged about earlier this week, I received a telephone call earlier this week from a reporter at my local newspaper who interviewed me for an article about what I thought about the new over-the-counter weight loss pill making headlines this week that will allegedly help people shed unwanted pounds quickly and easily.

Spartanburg (SC) Herald-Journal and Associated Press reporter Amanda Ridley wrote this excellent column that ran in Saturday's newspaper looking at what various people and experts thought about the weight loss drug.

The prescription brand Xenical will be marketed to consumers under the name brand Alli, which contains half the strength of the original fat-blocking pill. We are only MONTHS away from this pill reaching the market.

But even GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare admits in the column that you still have to eat a healthy diet and exercise for the pill to be effective for weight loss. Like I have said many times before, that's the dirty little secret about weight loss pills that you never hear about. If you're gonna have the diet and exercise to lose weight, then what's the point in taking a pill, hmmm?

One of the experts Ridley uses in her story is certified public trainer and LEARN Institute for Lifestyle Management Executive Director David Hager. I really appreciated his comments about the hopelessness that so many dieters face regarding weight loss and how vulnerable a position that puts them in to be sucked into the hype about the perceived grandeur of taking weight loss pills.

"[Drug companies] are taking advantage of those who are so desperate to lose weight that they will try anything," Hager told the Spartanburg Herald-Journal. "That's why this is a billion-dollar business."

The only real way to see permanent and lasting results, Hager says, is through lifestyle changes in diet, exercise and behaviors regarding food and fitness.

Amen, amen, and amen!

At the end of the story, Ridley writes the following regarding my perspective on the weight loss pill:

Spartanburg resident Jimmy Moore, who chronicled his weight loss success on the Atkins diet in his book, "Livin' La Vida Low Carb: My Journey from Flabby Fat to Sensationally Skinny," said maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a daily struggle.

The 33-year-old tried all kinds of diets and supplements to lose weight and failed.

That's when Moore realized he had to make big changes.

He weighed 410 pounds before he began monitoring his diet and exercising daily.

Today, he's lost more than 180 pounds.

"There's not a magic pill out there that's going to make you get on the treadmill or put the fork down," said Moore, who said he still faces the same challenges as before.

But now he knows that losing the weight takes time and sweat.

"If it's too good to be true, it usually is. I would apply that saying wholeheartedly to pills."


While the low-carb lifestyle itself is arguably one of the easiest diet plans to follow, I think it is wise for anyone who has ever lost weight to remain on guard about the possibility that you could gain it back. Without a conscious effort day in and day out to do the little things to help keep my weight under control, I very well could get back up over 400 pounds again.

By the grace of God and with the new habits I have implemented into my life, I don't see that ever happening. Livin' la vida low-carb HAS changed my life and I didn't need a pill, drug, or empty promise to help me get there.

If you are desperate to lose weight and to finally get your weight under control once and for all, then why not try the low-carb lifestyle for yourself? It's the best thing you could ever do for yourself and could transform your life just as it has mine.

E-mail me at livinlowcarbman@charter.net if you need a personal encouraging word to get you going. I know it's hard, but it can be done. I've proved it and now you can do it, too! GO FOR IT!

A special thanks to Amanda Ridley for writing this story. You can e-mail her at amanda.ridley@shj.com.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just saw a post about this at the weight loss forum I hang out on:

"I have lost about 10-12 pounds in 4 months taking xenical ( i no longer take it for now) and now I dont notice a weight change on the scale but I do have a pair of jeans that i use as a measuring tool instead of a tape measure....... when i first started a few months ago I couldnt get them past my things (the waist part) now I can get them zipped (not comfy but they can zip)..."

1/29/2006 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home