MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Jody Gorran: Atkins Diet 'Could Kill You'


Power-grabbing opportunist Jody Gorran still going after Atkins

It didn't take long after Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. emerged from their bankruptcy proceedings before their biggest nemesis over the past few years decided to rear his ugly head yet again. I'm referring, of course, to self-promoting gold-digger Jody Gorran.

You know about Gorran, don't you? He is the guy who decided to sue the Atkins company claiming the low-carb diet caused him to get heart disease. He and his all-too-eager legal team have crafted this plan to bring down the Atkins empire and to rid the world of anything and everything that has to do with the low-carb lifestyle.

Gorran is gonna LOSE this case and lose it badly. But that has not prevented him from using it as a platform for spreading his anti-Atkins agenda all across an open-armed media blood thirsty for destroying everything that Dr. Robert C. Atkins fought for over the course of his life.

In fact, Gorran happened to visit the "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog in May 2005 less than a month after I started writing here when he commented on this blog post that I wrote at the time about a fitness expert who was blasting low-carb. Gorran chose to use my blog as a platform for stating his extremely weak case about why livin' la vida low-carb is not for him. And, actually, I didn't have a problem with that.

But the main concern I have with Gorran is his overzealous statements about this healthy way of eating that has helped people like me overcome a lifetime of struggle with our weight. This frivolous lawsuit he has brought against Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. is meant to grab headlines and perpetuate the lie that the Atkins diet is unhealthy and dangerous. At the same time, people who are overweight or obese are avoiding the Atkins diet because they believe the anti-low-carb hype that Gorran is promoting.

Why else would Gorran spew this vitriolic ranting about low-carb just a couple of weeks after the bankruptcy announcement was made by Atkins? He was angry that a six-month stay was placed on his trumped-up lawsuit against the company, so he started pouting. He puffed out his bottom lip and sulked until he was notified on Tuesday that Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. is now out of bankruptcy protection.

SO THIS PETTY LAWSUIT CONTINUES by Gorran and don't you know he's chomping at the bit to feign his alleged near-death experience after being on the Atkins diet. The radical liberal anti-meat group Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine (PCRM) that is backing Gorran's case is looking to regain maximum exposure in the press in 2006. Win or lose (which they WILL lose -- BADLY!), being in the constant public eye and spouting off idiotic statements about the Atkins diet is all the influence Gorran and PCRM hopes to achieve out of this fiasco.

In this press release sent to the media today, Gorran and PCRM repeated the erroneous claims the livin' la vida low-carb could lead to serious health complications and even death.

“My goal is to warn people that this fatty, meaty diet can lead to heart problems,” Gorran argued. “It could kill you.”

Do you notice how Gorran complains about the "fatty, meat diet" that he claims Atkins is, but there are many people who are on low-carb that are vegetarians. I'm sure they would be very surprised to learn that low-carb HAD to involve meat. But since Gorran and PCRM are extreme anti-meat crusaders, that's their main concern.

The sensationalistic way that Gorran and his lawyers are shaping their case against Atkins (claiming "it could KILL you") is proof positive that there is nothing there. While Gorran thinks his case is growing momentum, the only thing that's getting bigger is his ego! This case will go on, but it doesn't have a snowball's chance in you know where of going anywhere. If I am called to testify on behalf of the Atkins diet, then I am ready, willing and very able to share my success story in a court of law if need be. Ain't nobody gonna tell me my life isn't better now BECAUSE of the Atkins diet.

In addition to losing nearly 200 pounds on the Atkins diet, my heart health has never been stronger with great reductions in bad cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure. The claim that your overall health will get worse on the Atkins diet is outright dishonest and Gorran knows it! Do you REALLY want to challenge the fact that my health is NOT better off today after being on the Atkins diet for 2 years than it was when I weighed 410 pounds, Mr. Gorran?! If so, then I say BRING IT ON!

Let's tell the "Pretend doctors Campaigning to Remove My favorite diet" (that's my nickname for PCRM) that they don't have a leg to stand on in their case against Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.

You can e-mail Jeanne S. McVey from PCRM at jeannem@pcrm.org or even Jody Gorran himself at jgorran@bellsouth.net. Tell 'em what YOU think about this crazy lawsuit of theirs. Urge them to STOP LYING TO THE PUBLIC about the good work of Dr. Atkins and just drop the case.

The most frustrating part of this lawsuit are the countless number of people who have been discouraged from even TRYING the low-carb lifestyle to deal with their obesity problem because of the alleged dangers that Gorran and PCRM have made about it. That is nothing short of criminal in my book because it is causing direct harm to those individuals who would otherwise find the way to lasting weight loss just as me and millions of others already have. Research is proving Gorran is wrong and I hope he pays dearly for this fallacious sob story he has forced into the public eye.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I made my goal! I am now at a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life! I actually hit goal last Friday, but I didn't want to get all happy about it until I could maintain it until my official weigh-in, which was this morning, which is ALSO my birthday (I'm 35). As of today I've lost 64 pounds and am pleased as punch! :)

Yay me, and yay Dr. Atkins!

Screw Jody Gorren, lol! My blood tests and weight loss prove this WOE is healthy. :)

1/11/2006 11:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gorran is gonna LOSE this case and lose it badly...

And he knows that. But he's WON because people will believe anything they hear. I talked to one anti-low carb person who actually cited Gorran and the PCRM as a good source of facts. She stuck her fingers in her ears (metaphorcally) and said, "Lalala I can't hear you" when I tried to point out their bias.

Gorran and the PCRM have acheived what they wanted to - to get many lemmings to follow them in lock step.

Thank God I think for myself. Otherwise I'd either still be gaining weight, or struggling on a low fat diet that made me hungry all the time.

1/11/2006 11:31 PM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

This man and this PCRM (Pathetic Calorie Raving Maniacs?) are a joke. I volunteer to serve as a withness "a decharge" for Atkins!

They do not have a shred of proof. Anything they say is not even worth discussing. I am certainly not close-minded, like they have already proven to be, but I do not even need to hear their so-called arguments. I heard them many times before and it's all long since disproved nonsense. Trying to argue with people like that based on intelligent conversation, facts and logic has about the same chance as growing spinach on the Moon. Their little brains have probably already shorted out long ago as a result of inadequate fat intake.

What is worrying, however, like Newbirth said, is that the press in general will have a field day with these imbecilic statements.

It would be SO good if somebody would sue this Gorran character and the PCRM for unscientific and unethical behaviour. That lawsuit, incidentally, would stand quite a good chance in court!

1/12/2006 12:47 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Happy birthday, NewBirth! THANKS for your comments as well as the ones from Science4u1959. Gorran is whacked and it's high time everyone knows it...even the fringe who believe him and PCRM!

1/12/2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

My apologies, NewBirth... I missed it due to severly elevated bloodpressure and acute tunnelvision as a result of the nonsense of this Gorilla, err, Gorran character.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and my congratulations with reaching your goal! Good for you!

1/12/2006 1:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your "this vitriloic ranting" link in the article is broken.

1/17/2006 11:54 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS, Newbirth! All fixed now. :)

1/18/2006 3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home