MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Start Livin' La Vida Low-Carb TODAY

Happy New Year everyone! For many, TODAY -- January 1, 2006 -- marks the first day of a brand new commitment to FINALLY do something about getting rid of those excess pounds that have slowly made their way on your body -- FOR GOOD!

The annual ritual of New Year's resolutions causes people to stop for just a moment to evaluate their lives. Am I where I want to be in life or are there areas where I could improve?

Like a lot of people, I asked myself that exact question in regards to my weight problem two years ago today. I will forever have fond memories of January 1, 2004 because I stuck with my New Year's resolution that year, lost a grand total of 180 pounds, and even lost another 10 pound in 2005 to boot! My goal in 2006 is to keep the weight maintained for another year.

I'm livin' la vida low-carb now and have never been as healthy and energetic in my entire life than I am at this very moment!But not everyone thinks this is such a grand way to lose weight and improve your health.

This Ocala (FL) Star-Banner story quotes a registered dietitian (oh no, not one of THOSE again!) who had some rather bombastic opinions about the Atkins diet that she just HAD to share with everyone in this story about New Year's resolutions.

Her name is Kimberley Davis from the Munroe Regional Medical Center in Ocala, Florida. She promotes a diet of "moderation" and warns people wanting to lose weight to steer far away from "fad" diets like Atkins.

While she admits that people can and will lose a lot of weight initially on programs such as Atkins, Davis said the long-term success is unlikely and eating a low-carb diet can actually harm your health.

"Atkins -- thank goodness, they're bankrupt," Davis declared. "We don't endorse any of the fad diets."

Tell me something, Ms. Davis. What in the world does the bankruptcy of one company -- Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. -- have anything to do with the low-carb approach to weight loss?

I suppose a lot of people must think the entire Atkins/low-carb diet was predicated on the business success of Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. But the fact is that many low-carbers, including myself, hardly EVER used the products produced by the Atkins company when we were losing weight. The bars, shakes, and other products were nice to have as a convenience every once in a while, but you can do this program WITHOUT the use of the Atkins products. I proved it can be done.

In fact, it is only now that I am maintaining my weight on the low-carb lifestyle that I have begun to purchase low-carb foods from low-carb retailers to help me keep the weight off permanently. I enjoy these products, but they were not necessary for me to purchase for me to lose weight the low-carb way.

But Davis doesn't let facts like that get in the way of what she thinks low-carb is all about.

She claims that it "works by cutting out carbohydrates" and that people are only "losing large quantities of water rather than fat."

People who are livin' la vida low-carb are not "cutting out carbohydrates," Ms. Davis. In fact, we eat LOTS of certain kinds of carbs because they are a very good thing for our bodies.

As for only losing only "water," did I shed 190 pounds of water off my body instead of fat? Is that what you REALLY think, Ms. Davis? This proclamation is so absurd I cannot believe a dietitian who is supposed to be trained in these things would use it!

Exclaiming that the Atkins/low-carb diet is controversial among the so-called health "experts," Davis said it has been linked to health problems such as kidney disease, heart disease, and osteoporosis.

But there is one thing you will learn when you start livin' la vida low-carb: You have to just ignore the self-proclaimed "experts" because they have become too narrow-minded to even consider that this way of eating can be good for you. Unless they start becoming open-minded enough about the possibility that low-carb is a healthy way to eat and live, then progress cannot be made regarding its supposed "controversial" nature.

With that said, though, these needless warnings about the health problems that are brought on by low-carb are just hyperbolic pronouncements from ill-informed alarmists.

Kidney disease? All the water I am drinking in a day keeps my kidneys functioning fine thank you very much. Actually, my kidney function has IMPROVED since I started the low-carb lifestyle. This is just scaremongering!

Heart disease? A recent study found that simply losing weight can help reverse heart disease while another study found that eating more fat and less carbs and strengthen your heart health. So much for that theory, Ms. Davis!

Osteoporosis? Haven't you heard that new research has found that a low-carb/high-protein diet strengthens bones and makes them healthier? What are they teaching these dietitians these days anway?

I appreciate that Davis recommends to people who need to lose weight two excellent pieces of advice: don't skip breakfast and start exercising to help with weight loss and to ease stress.

"Eating works, especially if one eats high-calorie, high-carbohydrate, high-fat foods," she said. "We have the ability to numb ourselves out."

This is so true! Emotional eaters are allowing the circumstances of their life stand in the way of becoming the thin person they so desire to be by shoving spoonful after spoonful of poor food choices down their throats. Instead of reaching for those comfort foods, how about trying to walk on the treadmill to unleash that pent-up energy that is making you lethargic and run down. It WILL be difficult, but your body will gladly reward your efforts by alleviating the stress that has built up while keeping you away from foods that will pack on the pounds.

Send your comments to Kimberley Davis about how low-carb has helped you lose weight and get healthy by e-mailing her at kimberleydavis@mrhs.org. She needs to know that there are REAL people who have not only lost weight on the low-carb lifestyle, but have lived to tell their amazing stories!

If you are even THINKING about losing weight, then let me encourage you to start livin' la vida low-carb TODAY! What better time is there for you to put into action a plan to help you become the thinner, healthier person you have dreamed about becoming. That was my dream two years ago today when I made up my mind that this was IT! I'm doing it this time around!

Now, today, January 1, 2006 I can stand before you as a 220-pound low-carb weight loss success story because the low-carb lifestyle worked for me. Will it work for everyone? Probably not. But that shouldn't deter you from TRYING it for yourself to see if it is the answer you've been looking for your entire life. I know that my life will never be the same again.

Whatever you are doing RIGHT NOW -- STOP! And start livin' la vida low-carb TODAY! It'll make 2006 a year that you will remember for the rest of your life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Amen! I've been low carbing for 21 months now. The last 5 pounds just won't budge, but I've lost about 60 pounds. And I don't think it was all water, lol. Besides which, the body fat tests I've had done show my body fat was reduced by around 13%. :)

Great blog you have here. I was bored and started looking for Atkins-themed blogs.

1/01/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Welcome, NewBirth! I've been blogging here since April 2005 after losing nearly 200 pounds on the Atkins diet. I like to stir the pot when I write and invite you to look through my archives for more encouragement and inspiration. THANKS for dropping by!

By the way, my body fat went from 54% down to 11%.

SEE YA!

1/01/2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Been reading more. I'm linking here. This is an awesome blog. :)

1/01/2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger Poker Guy said...

Jimmy,

My jaw dropped when I had a similar experience with a "registered dietician". She told me that the 42 pounds I lost was all water weight, and that I should stop this diet immediately. Thank God I knew the science behind it before I met her. Otherwise I may have taken her poor advice.

Eric Foster

1/10/2006 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home