MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, February 27, 2006

Splenda Claims Questioned In Tele-Seminar


Opponent of artificial sweeteners will explain why in tele-seminar call

In the interest of providing you with information to help you educate yourself further about what is good for your health, I wanted to let you know about a FREE tele-seminar call scheduled for Tuesday, February 28, 2006 beginning at 8:30pm EST featuring nutritionist Dr. Janet Starr Hull who authored a book entitled Splenda®: Is It Safe Or Not?

This tele-seminar is the latest from Connie Bennett's Fast-Track, Kick-Sugar program where she is attempting to help people overcome their addiction to sugar. Connie is billing this as "the real lowdown on sucralose (Splenda)."

As most of you know, I am a strong supporter of Splenda and believe it helped me become the weight loss success that I was. What is most disturbing to me is that most of the attacks against Splenda have come directly from the sugar industry in protest to the low-carb lifestyle.

While I am not closed-minded to the issues that people like Connie and Dr. Hull have about Splenda, I'm just not convinced that what they are claiming is supposedly "toxic" about Splenda is true. I'm just not. It has been found to be safe in numerous studies and I have not had any harmful side effects from consuming this wonderful product. And it is certainly a lot better to consume than sugar EVER will be!

With that said, I do believe other artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame (aka Nutrasweet, Equal) as well as saccharin (aka Sweet 'N Low), are not good for you and can cause certain physiological reactions. For me, aspartame causes really bad headaches when I consume it in larger quantities. Plus, the fact that you cannot cook with aspartame or saccharin because they break down at higher temperatures makes them incompatible with what most people want a sugar substitute to do.

But not Splenda. It can be cooked and perform just as well as sugar does. I have made many recipes that use Splenda in them and they have tasted delicious.

Additionally, I have found several other artificial sweeteners, such as oligofructose and SweetPerfection (made from chicory root), which are excellent alternatives to sugar as well and are all-natural. I will be curious to hear what Dr. Hull and Connie think about these kinds of sweeteners during the tele-seminar call.

A thorough discussion of all the artificial sweeteners is expected from Dr. Hull and Connie says she believes "this will be one exciting tele-seminar."

To participate in the 60-90 minute tele-seminar call with Dr. Hull entitled "Are Artificial Sweeteners Such as Splenda A Smart Way to Wean Off Sugar?," here is the telephone number to call and the access code to enter the conversation:

Call (512) 623-5163 and then enter 585223 followed by the (#) sign

As an added bonus for being a part of the tele-seminar call, there will be raffle prizes, including 6 FREE 45-minute sugar counseling sessions with Connie Bennett as well as complimentary copies of Dr. Hull's Splenda®: Is It Safe Or Not? to two lucky winners.

If you are unable to be a part of the tele-seminar call on Tuesday night, then it will be available for download by clicking here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

I too get headaches when I consume Aspartame. Unfortunately for us, we have a limited range of sugar free products in Australia and most contain Aspartame.

2/27/2006 6:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I use mostly Splenda now, but am not averse to using aspertame (I have no problems with it). I would probably also drink soda with sacchrine if anybody made it anymore.

I follow Dr. Atkins advice for artificial sweeteners, in order of desirability:
Splenda
sacchrine
NutraSweet (aspertame)

But since sacchrine is rarely availble it sweetened products, I usually skip from Splenda right down to NutraSweet.

2/27/2006 8:00 PM  
Blogger harmonious1 said...

I think one of the problems about Splenda is that {many, not all} people get an insulin rush with it. This makes it harder or even impossible for these people to get off the sugar habit, and lose weight too. This is what happened to me. I love Splenda, and used it for a long time, but wondered why my cravings an weight came back. True, I only re-gained part of my weight, and it came back slowly, but I had trouble staying on my low-carb lifestyle. Finally, in desperation, I quit almost everything except meat, veggies, and water. The cravings went away again, and my blood sugar stabilized. Then I re-introduced things one at a time. Splenda was one of the culprits. I now use only Stevia plus. It has that fiber stuff mixed in. I don't like the taste, but it is better than cravings all the time. And I like it when my blood sugar stays stable. I feel so much better.
Thanks for your blog, I enjoy it.

2/28/2006 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home