MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

What Is Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Anyway?


This catchy phrase is just my way of describing the low-carb lifestyle

I was contacted today by someone who was conducting research on me and my book "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb." Ever since I released my book in October 2005, people have been wondering what my new "diet" is all about and how it is different from the Atkins, South Beach, and other low-carb diets out there.

ROTFL!!!

This has always baffled me because my book isn't some brand new "diet" program that I created. I'm just one man whose life was changed forever after discovering for myself what low-carb living is all about. My book and blog are simply the story of how I went from a 410-pound man and lost over 180 pounds implementing low-carb principles and other things into my life that weren't there before. That's it! Nothing more!

I call it "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" because it's a memorable phrase that captures people's attention.

My main purpose with "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" was to give people who desired weight loss a book that would both inspire and motivate them to do something for themselves about their weight. While I obviously advocate a low-carb approach to get there, I certainly support WHATEVER plan someone chooses for himself to make it happen as soon as possible.

Ever since I lost weight, my heart literally aches for people to find the joy and happiness that I have been able to discover thanks to the healthy benefits that come with the low-carb lifestyle. As readers of my blog will tell you, I don't mind sharing with you the good, the bad and the ugly regarding weight loss, dieting and the struggles that come with it!

The person who got in touch with me said he was working on "an assignment" and was interested in learning more about my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" book. I'm happy to oblige.

But, you know, if I was a smartaleck, I could tell this guy to go buy my book at Amazon.com! HAHAHAHAHAHA! But, I'm a nicer guy than that, so I'll answer his questions (although, if you would like to support the cause, you can order it by clicking here -- hee hee!).

So let me answer each of his questions publicly so everyone can know what I mean when I use the phrase livin' la vida low-carb:

"Is your book supporting the Atkin's Diet? Or did you devise a similar, but modified version of the Atkin's Diet and write a book on your own weight-loss technique? Or is your weight-loss plan completely different to the Atkin's Diet?"

Yes, yes, and sorta. When I first started my low-carb lifestyle in January 2004, I was on the Atkins Diet. And when I say that I was on the Atkins Diet, I mean according to the book Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution for most of my weight loss (unlike those who are "on Atkins" and they mean just eating meat, cheese and eggs all the time!). It helped me shed 180 pounds in 2004 alone. But after the weight loss began to come to an end, I transformed my program to the maintenance mode -- something I later described as "livin' la vida low-carb."

Even the late Dr. Robert C. Atkins never expected people to stick with his plan so rigidly after they have lost their weight and are maintaining. He wanted people to cater their low-carb lifestyle to what works for them as an individual to control their weight for the rest of their lives.

When your weight is FINALLY under control, then you begin adding back more carbohydrates than when you were losing weight as you switch from a low-carb approach of 30-60g carbs per day to a controlled-carb plan of 60-120g carbs per day.

While I started out on Atkins, my eating can now be described as a "modified version of the Atkin's Diet" inasmuch as I don't follow that program any longer. Since I have grown accustomed to knowing what I can and cannot eat to maintain my weight, following a book has become irrelevant to me because livin' la vida low-carb is second nature now.

But my book is more than about what I ate during my weight loss. It goes even deeper into some of the supplemental things that helped me attain the success that I did (read the book and you'll find out what these 10 things are!). :-p

"Do you think it would be easier to lose weight without the support of others, like family? Some argue that it wouldn't be any easier, others argue that doing it for your family puts you in a more determined state of mind, and therefore you lose weight faster and easier."

In my book, I discuss the importance of having a strong support system. For me, my #1 weight loss supporter was my wife Christine and I would have NEVER been as successful as I was without her love and encouragement during this experience. I believe that a strong support system is VITAL to anyone winning the weight loss game. I don't know too many lone rangers who find lasting results in the battle of the bulge.

Is it easy? Heck no! Livin' la vida low-carb takes a commitment, dedication, and endless resolve to make it happen for yourself. But if you get in the right frame of mind, do those things that you know you are supposed to do, and never, ever, ever give up on achieving your goals, then you cannot help but succeed at weight loss and, ultimately, at LIFE!

After the weight loss is over, the new challenge of keeping the weight off comes and you should commit yourself just as strongly to doing that as you did the weight loss. That's what livin' la vida low-carb is to me. It means never losing sight of where you once were so that you'll never end up there again! I keep my "fat boy" pictures around so that image of me being obese is forever ensconced in my mind.

Is that it? That's ALL the questions about "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" that you've got?! Hey, I guess that means it's not as mindboggling as some people might think it is. I'm happy to explain it anytime and wish you the best on your assignment.

At the end of his e-mail, he had some very kind words to say about me that I'll share with you:

"I really respect what you've done, I think it is an awesome achievement and I urge you to keep up the great work."

Believe me, I will. I don't know any other way now that I'm livin' la vida low-carb! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

Jimmy,
I've bought an electronic copy of your book not long after it came out.
It's a great book and speaks to the common man about how he can lose weight! or the common woman!

I've been following your blog ever since I started my journey last July and I've lost 97 pounds so far! I started at 473 pounds.

Your blog and book are very good tools for self encouragement!

Cheers

Dave

2/22/2006 12:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay for you Dave! Keep up the good work!

Jimmy, you still are on Atkins! Atkins is all about finding the level of carb consumption that you can handle. That varies from person to person. I doubt I'll ever be abke to eat 100. I shot for 60g this week and am hitting about 50 every day. I've gotten so good at cutting carbs that it can be hard to get them high enough now, lol.

2/22/2006 1:05 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I realize that I'm still "doing Atkins," but I prefer to not describe it that way. It's not that I'm ashamed of the Atkins diet in any way. I FULLY support this amazing way of life.

But livin' la vida low-carb translates so much better in my mind that this way of eating is actually a lifestyle change that is permanent and FUN!

That's the message that I want people to remember when they see livin' la vida low-carb.

THANKS for sharing your comments, Newbirth!

Dave, keep it up buddy! You are doing a FANTASTIC JOB!!!

Don't you just LOVE people who try to get a FREE commercial at my blog. NOT! Tsk tsk Free Books Online! Shame on you! >:-(

2/22/2006 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home