MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, March 05, 2006

If Condi Finds Time To Exercise, Anyone Can!


Secretary of State Rice works out with TV host Barbara Harrison

Exercise. Just mentioning that word sends shivers up the spine of most people. In fact, a recent fitness study found that most Americans are lagging way behind in their cardiovascular health. Tsk tsk!

But we rationalize our lack of physical activity by making up excuses like these:

"I just don't have time to exercise."
"It's too much exertion for me."
"I don't have the energy to exercise."
"I'm too fat, I could never get into shape."


Do any of these lame...er, I mean, excuses sounds familiar anyone?

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I used to think of exercise in this manner as well. But that was before I started livin' la vida low-carb and lost over 180 pounds in part because of my workout schedule. Now I don't see exercise as something to dread, but rather something I LOOK FORWARD TO (I'm not kidding!) on a DAILY basis. I consider exercise an integral part of ANY healthy lifestyle, including when you are on low-carb.

Some of you may be thinking, "But, Jimmy, you just don't understand my hectic schedule. How can you expect me to squeeze in time at the gym with all I have in my life?"

I'll address that question in a moment, but first let me introduce you to arguably one of the busiest women in the world. She regularly takes trips all around the world representing the United States as both a diplomat and negotiator.

Her physical prowess is not extraordinary, but she doesn't carry around excess weight like two-thirds of her fellow countrymen do. That's because she rigorously dedicates herself to getting up at 4:30am EVERY DAY for a MINIMUM of 40 minutes of cardiovascular workout on either a treadmill or elliptical machine. WOW!

Who is this wonder woman role model for all of us to emulate? Why, it's none other than our very own U.S. Secretary of State, Ms. Condoleeza Rice.



This MSNBC story notes that Rice enjoys both weight lifting and cardio workouts to keep herself fit and ready for duty. Her incredible dedication to a healthy lifestyle will be featured in an early morning health segment on WRC-TV, the NBC affiliate in Washington, DC, beginning on Wednesday.

Rice is described as "active" and "agile" in the story and doesn't mind serving as an example for others to follow just as her boss, the Commander-In-Chief and President of the United States George W. Bush, has done regarding his excellent health habits.

The 52-year-old Rice hasn't slowed down her routine as she has gotten older, just altered it somewhat to make it continue to work for her.

"I've decided I'm going to speedwalk and walk hills instead of running," she told MSNBC.

To all those people who think they don't have time to exercise, Rice shares a bit of advice that has served her well.

"Part of the secret of travelling well is continuing your routine," she explained to MSNBC. "So when I'm on the road I absolutely schedule time to get up in the morning and exercise first."

WOO HOO and CONGRATULATIONS, Secretary Rice! You hit the nail on the head and are a fine example of what every American should be doing for the sake of their own health. If more people took exercise as seriously as you do, then we wouldn't be talking about an obesity crisis today.

While you don't have to get up at 4:30am every day, you really should set aside a regular time to help get yourself into a routine. I'm still snoozing when Rice is doing her workout, but I get my ellipical machine time in during my lunch break at work. The YMCA is just a couple of blocks away and I get in between 30-45 minutes everyday burning between 500-750 calories during my workouts. It also helps me de-stress from the day's work up until that point and makes me feel better for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, our nation's laziness has turned us into the chunky and unhealthy citizenry we are today. But that can still change when people start taking personal responsiblity for their own health and stop waiting for the government to lose weight for them.

WRC television personality Barbara Harrison said it best when she made the following comment in the story.

"If [Rice], one of the busiest women in the world, can work out every day, the rest of us ought to be able to do something."

She is 100% absolutely right about this, you know! There really are NO GOOD EXCUSES for not exercising and I say as much in Chapter 3 of my book, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb".

With just 30 minutes of cardiovascular workout a day, you'll keep your heart healthy and your weight under control. Exercise has also been found the lengthen your life span, too. Cool deal, huh?

Be sure to send Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice a HUGE THANK YOU for showing Americans that exercise not only CAN be done, but it MUST be done to live a long and healthy life. Click here to send your comments to her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Even when I don't have time because of 10 and 12 hour shifts at work, I can still find time. Today I had a 10 hour shift. I worked out on my stationary bike for 30 minutes, then when I got off the train I walked the last leg to work rather than take the bus. I had a headwind today so it took a full 30 minutes.

I'd rather be at the gym, but since time for the gym is literally only once a week right now, sneaking in a little here and there is at least SOMETHING.

3/06/2006 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home