MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Resolve Today Nothing Will Stand In Your Way

One of the common themes of my blog is NEVER GIVE UP on losing weight! No matter what happens during your low-carb weight loss experience, don't ever stop doing what you know is working for you.

Especially when you have found success through livin' la vida low-carb, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to go back to eating any other way ever again. But, unfortunately, there is one thing that creeps into our efforts to lose weight that can sometimes cause us to get off course and tumble downward until we ultimately give up. It's called LIFE!

Yep, life itself can certainly throw us some curve balls, can't it? We're going along great and everything seems to be going fine and then BOOM! You lose your job, you or a family member gets sick, your car breaks down when you're flat broke, or you lose someone that's close to you. Life really sucks sometimes, doesn't it?

When life hits you like a ton of bricks, how do you react? Do you rationalize that you NEED "comfort food" (translated carbs, primarily sugar!) to help you get through the difficult experience? I'm not diminishing the emotional pain that occurs when you suffer from a devastating circumstance in your life, but there are better and healthier ways to respond than eating the wrong foods.

Since I started livin' la vida low-carb in January 2004, I've had my share of problems happen in my life.

My wife Christine has had 4 eye surgeries in the past two years and is expected to go completely blind sometime in the next few years when her retina fully detaches in the one "good" eye she has left. She also has a mysterious pain in her side (not me!) that the doctors have been unable to diagnose and it could be preventing us from being able to have the children we desire.

Additionally, my brother Kevin is having major heart problems associated with his obesity and has been given just one year to live. My wife's grandfather, who she was very close to, died of a complication that was preventable had the doctors noticed it and done something about it before he began bleeding internally.

There are many more that I could share, but I think you get the idea.

The point is this: LIFE HAPPENS! Every single day, SOMETHING happens to knock us off our sense of normalcy and stability. If it hasn't happened to you yet, then hang on because your time is coming. Expect it is going to happen to you by preparing now about what you will do when it does.

One of my readers sent me an e-mail explaining how she and her husband did well on low-carb until LIFE happened to them a few months ago. It was at that point that she got knocked off course and stopped livin' la vida low-carb. Now she's struggling to get back going again.

Here's what she wrote:

"My husband and I have each lost about 60 lbs eating low carb and we love it. Unfortunately, my mom passed away last November and my eating habits went south. It has been a struggle to regain my incentive."

Can anyone else relate? I think we all can. How easy is it for us to say to ourselves, "The heck with low-carb! I don't care how well I've done on it, I just need a break from it!" Have you reached this point? Are you about ready to spit nails because you don't sense any relief from the pains of living life? If so, then I think you'll want to read the response I gave to my reader.

Here was my response:

"THANK YOU SO MUCH for writing! I appreciate hearing from my readers, especially when they share openly and honestly about their low-carb experience.

I'm sorry about the loss of your mom and I pray that God will restore you in the midst of the pain you still feel about her being gone.

In October, I blogged about how life can sometimes get in the way of our weight loss efforts in this blog post.

It is a matter of making good choices and never deviating from that plan of action regardless of what life throws at us. The 'incentive' for you is knowing that you CAN lose weight and keep it off forever if you never forget what got you there.

Life is gonna happen, but how you react to it is what separates those who find success and those who fail to recognize the opportunity for success is staring them right in the face. This holds true in virtually every area of our lives, but especially in weight loss.

Resolve TODAY that you will commit yourself 100% to livin' la vida low-carb and not allow ANYTHING at all to stand in the way of your success. If you do that, then you will be writing me back sometime in the next year with the weight loss success you have previously only dreamed about. The time is NOW to make this happen and I believe you can do it! GO FOR IT!!!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to encourage you during this process. It can be hard at times, but don't ever give up. EVER! See this thing to the end and then keep doing it for the rest of your life. It was the best decision I ever made and I'll NEVER regret it!

Take care and THANK YOU again for writing!"


What has life thrown at you lately? Have you allowed yourself to back away from low-carb living because you thought that's what you needed to do in response to a particularly difficult circumstance in your life? It's certainly understandable if you have. I've done it many times in the past and I don't find fault in you one bit if that is what you have done before.

However, one thing I have learned is to never forget how good it feels to be successful at weight loss. The things life throws at you should make you want to work that much harder to remain faithful to your low-carb commitment. Resolve today that NOTHING will stand in your way of becoming the success at weight loss that you DESERVE to be and then watch what happens. Success is within your grasp if you will reach for it and never let go!

Again, I am not taking away from the real pain that comes from bad circumstances in our lives, but there are better ways to respond than eating foods we just don't need. Do this for yourself and serve as an example for everyone around you. Make livin' la vida low-carb your full-time, all-the-time, never-falter, and never-give-up way of life and then reap the rewards that come from that wholehearted devotion. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Please contact me anytime at livinlowcarbman@charter.net if you feel you can't go on in your low-carb life. I've been there myself and found a way to succeed. And so can YOU!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

Jimmy,

My prayers are with you and Christine.

Dave

3/26/2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Honestly, I have the opposite reaction. Two years ago I have a very painful emotional breakup with someone who I considered one of my best friends. She did everything she could to hurt me. My faith suffered during that time and I spent about 5 weeks not knowing which direction was up. Even after the 5 weeks I still felt wounded and bruised and that life was out of my control.

I think that's what made it easy to begin exercising 6 weeks after the breakup, and to begin Atkins within 12 weeks. Quite simply, in a life that seemed out of control I found one thing I had total control over - what I ate.

While this can drive some people to eating disorders, it simply drove me to a healthy diet and exercise plan.

I hated being at my sister's wedding because there were so few low-carb choices. Without being able to buy and prepare my own food I felt a bit lost. I also gained quite a bit of water weight. I look fat in my dress because I was so bloated from so few good choices. It was good to get home, detox, and get back on plan. At least on the cruise ship I had more control over food and access to exercise equipment every day.

I tend to cling to my diet when life happens because it's something that I can exercise control over when everything else is outside my control. It helps calm me to know that at least something is under my control.

I don't know if that makes sense, but it gives me an anchor when life is trying to dash you against the rocks.

3/26/2006 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home