MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, March 13, 2006

Shirataki Oodles Of Noodles, Tofu-Styled


Tofu Shirataki from House Foods has a more authentic pasta feel

Shirataki noodle mania is currently in full swing!

Ever since I first blogged about shirataki noodles last week, the interest from my readers about this intriguing little low-carb wonder pasta has been incredible. Traffic to my blog has been hopping with people looking for more information about these unbelievable noodles from Japan.

I expect 2006 to be a breakout year for shirataki noodles because people want to eat heathier and better by choosing foods that help them cut down on the carbs without sacrificing the taste and texture they adore. It's a delicate balance, but shirataki noodles are proving it can be done.

I've already tried the Konjac brand of shirataki noodles and reviewed them for you last week. Now let me introduce you to another kind of shirataki noodles that are quite different from the Konjac brand. They're from a company called House Foods.

House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles are a unique combination of tofu and polysaccharide glucomannan (yam flour) to provide a genuinely authentic pasta texture that you frankly just don't get from the Konjac brand. I was extremely surprised by the House Foods brand and would definitely choose this brand over Konjac in a side-by-side comparison -- DEFINITELY!

What's so different about the House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles?

For starters, each 4-ounce serving (2 servings per bag) has just 20 calories and a neglible 1g net carbs (3g total carbs minus 2g of dietary fiber). While that's not ZERO, it's certainly not bad, especially considering the trade-off you make in the texture of these noodles. These are perfect for every phase of livin' la vida low-carb for a nutritious and delicious pasta alternative.

Also, they are sugar-free, gluten-free, cholesterol-free, dairy-free, and even have 10% calcium. What could be better?

Here is the nutritional label for this product:



When I opened my bag of Noodle Shaped House Foods Tofu Shirataki for supper tonight, I immediately smelled the infamous fishy odor from them as I have come to expect from this product. But don't let that deter you away from enjoying the final version of this product, though, because the smell does go away quickly once you have rinsed them off and warmed them up for a few minutes either in boiling water or in the microwave.

After draining the noodles in a collander, I transferred them to a bowl, sprinkled some garlic Alsosalt on them, and poured my favorite no sugar added spaghetti sauce on top. Mixing the noodles together with the sauce, I warmed it up in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Then I added some pepperoni slices and mozarella cheese on top and cooked it in the microwave for an additional minute. Mmmmmm. This looks so good!

Voila! My low-carb House Foods Tofu Shirataki pasta dish was complete and it was time to eat.

Since I had already tried another brand of shirataki noodles previously, I was expecting them to be similar when I put them in my mouth. But imagine my surprise when I started chewing and noticed they were soft like real pasta and weren't as "chewy" as the other brands. WOW! Check it out, this is AWESOME dude! Can you imagine shirataki noodles getting any better than this? My wife said they reminded her of Oodles of Noodles when she looked at them.

House Foods has certainly found their niche in the shirataki noodles market and I applaud them for providing consumers with a unique choice. While the other brands of shirataki noodles certainly aren't bad products, the House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles are the only ones on the market today that provide the actual look and feel of real pasta without the carbs or calories! CONGRATULATIONS to them for doing such an excellent job with their products!

And apparently the consumer seems to like House Foods Tofu Shirataki, too, because their Fettuccini Shaped and Noodle Shaped products are currently #1 and #2 respectively on the list of bestselling Gourmet Foods at Amazon.com. How about that?

So go ahead, give 'em a try! All you have to lose is excess weight. Eating pasta on a "diet" never tasted so good, baby!

We haven't heard the last of shirataki!

8-30-06 UPDATE: LOOKING FOR MORE ABOUT SHIRATAKI NOODLES? I have compiled ALL of my best posts on these amazing Japanese wonder noodles in this blog post to provide you with LOTS of great recipes, reviews of the various kinds of shirataki noodles, specific places where you can buy shirataki, and MUCH MUCH MORE! Check it out and THANKS for visiting my blog!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

When are these things coming downunder to Australia!!!

I can't wait!

3/14/2006 1:15 AM  
Blogger Kent said...

How much did you pay for yours Jimmy? I just found this same brand at my local Asian food store for $1.99 a pack and was wondering if I got good deal or not. I look forward to the recipe contest although I already have planned the first one to be an Asian stirfry ala Mongolian BBQ place with lots of meat, peppers, and other goodness (and now noodles too).

4/02/2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger Jezzy Arikado said...

I went to an Oriental Market today and couldn't find them at all. I'm planning to buy them online, but I'm just worried about the package leaking, which would be a terrible disaster made worse by the apparent seafood smell. I hope they meet the hype.

4/24/2009 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home