MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Don't Tell These People Low-Carb Is Dead

During my recent one-year anniversary celebration contest, I asked so many of you to answer one simple question for me:

"Why are you livin' la vida low-carb?"

To all those media pundits and so-called health "experts" out there spouting off about how unhealthy and unrealistic staying on the low-carb lifestyle is, let me share with you just a small sampling of the comments from real people who have a thing or two to say about the subject. Get ready to be inspired to start livin' la vida low-carb!

Don't tell these people low-carb is dead!

"I am following a low-carb lifestyle so that in my retirement years (which is getting very close) I will be healthy and full of energy. There is a lot of living I want to do yet."

I hope to be as gung-ho about it when I reach retirement age, too! I'm sure I will be!

"I turned to low-carb because I was sick of being overweight and dealing with constant fatigue and health problems. At my last physical I found out my triglycerides were over 500 and my doctor was trying to talk me into medication. I'm not even 40 years old yet! I started researching diets and low-carb was the only one that made sense to me. I've been following a low-carb way of life since November 2005 and have since lost 20 pounds. The weight is coming off, which never happened when I followed a low-fat diet. I wake up each day bursting with energy, feeling better than I've ever felt in my entire life! If I can feel like this, I don't care if I never lose another ounce (although I'm sure I will!)."

The energy really is a BONUS! It makes you wanna EXPLODE! :)

"Back when I started low-carb, it was for weight loss only. However, once I started low-carb, the frequent migraines and headaches that I was having (as many as 2-3 times a week!) just DISAPPEARED! That is all the incentive I needed to continue with this 'fad' diet for the rest of my life."

If a "fad" can do this, then I say GO FOR IT!

"I have actually been a lifetime member and former leader of Weight Watchers for many years. I have since gained back all the weight I lost while an employee for them, but I am now so sick of being hungry eating 'diet' food and counting points all the time! Low-carb just makes so much sense to me."

Welcome home to livin' la vida low-carb.

"Living the low-carb life is the only healthy way that I can find to keep the weight off."

Amen!

"I'm a 10-year breast cancer survivor and never have been able to lose that weight that 'mysteriously' piled on during my chemotherapy treatments. I was put on a high-fiber, low-fat diet by my doctor but it was making my blood work numbers go in the wrong direction. So I started a low-carb diet and my blood work turned around in less than three months. My doctor gasped when I told him I did it on the low-carb lifestyle."

Keep on shocking them doctors!

"I started low-carbing in 2005 and have lost about 78 pounds so far. I don't lose weight very fast, but I workout and keep plugging along. As long as I keep losing weight, I'll never quit!"

What a GREAT message: never, ever, ever, ever quit!

"No sugar is the only way to go!"

You don't need that RAT POISON anyway!

"Low-carb is the only thing I've tried that allows me to eat like a normal human being and still lose weight."

To "eat like a normal human being" is a glorious thing.

"Personally I feel better and I am in better spirits when I am on the low-carb lifestyle. I really don't ever see myself overconsuming on carbs again. The results just aren't worth it to me. I like feeling better both physically and emotionally."

It's amazing how your attitude improves after being on low-carb.

"I've loved being on the Atkins diet. It was the first diet in my life where I wasn't hungry, had lots of energy, could eat great-tasting foods and didn't have to count a single calorie. I STILL think it's a dream come true. I've lost 75 pounds so far!"

Dreams really do come true thanks to the low-carb lifestyle.

"I have been trying to lose weight and keep it off by using the low-fat method for years but had not found any success. That's when I heard about the Atkins way and decided to try it. Let me tell you, it has made a world of difference!"

Dr. Atkins was a brilliant man and will be honored as such someday.

"I had a successful weight loss of 110 pounds with a low-fat diet, but gained it all back within in a year or two. When I started to try to lose weight on the low-fat diet again, my fiance simultaneously went on low-carb. As I starved daily, he was enjoying all the wonderful low-carb foods you can eat and I quickly became very jealous. So I switched to low-carb living, too, and now I feel better, eat better, am NEVER starving and I have hope again."

It's nice to have an example of low-carb success and your husband provided that!

"I am livin' la vida low-carb for quite a few reasons. I want to reverse my pre-diabetes and improve my PCOS symptoms. I also want to lose enough weight so I can join the military. I have managed to change the mind of my endocrinologist because he is now recommending low-carb to his diabetic patients."

I salute you and wish you well in your efforts to serve this country.

"Low-carb makes me FEEL GOOD and LOOK GOOD! YAY!!!"

WOO HOO, YOU GO GIRL!

"I started low-carbing for health reasons when I realized that Type-II diabetes runs in my mom's family after she was diagnosed with it. I realized that I was most likely headed in that direction so I switched my diet to a low-carb one. Not only did I feel so much better after only a week or two on it, but the health benefits have been enormous. Losing that last 10 pounds that I could never shake was a real bonus, too!"

Diabetes is treatable with low-carb and more people need to know that.

"I am on low-carb because it is the only way to keep my diabetes under control."

Congratulations and keep up the great work!

"I lost a total of 63 pounds on The South Beach Diet and it was so easy."

Regardless of the plan you choose, do it and do it forever!

"Low-carb is the BEST way to go!"

No arguments from me.

"I have been an Atkins follower for three years and have lost about 110 pounds, going from a size 24 to a size 6. I exercise everyday and am in the best shape since high school."

WOWsers, that's quite a change. You should be so proud of yourself!

"I have been on low-carb since January 2006 and have lost over 30 pounds now. I am living this way because I desperately needed to lose weight. I was a collegiate volleyball player, so pretty much my entire childhood and young adult life I could eat anything I wanted as I exercised more than enough to burn everything I ate off. However, after college and two kids later, all of that eating caught up to me and VERY quickly! Before I knew it, I was very obese and wasn't able to do that things I used to love, including sports. This is the only diet I've been able to stick to and it is rewarding when random people come up to me and say they can tell I'm losing weight."

You WILL be that athlete you once were. Keep up the fantastic work!

"I've been on the Atkins diet for two years and started it because my cholesterol numbers were so high. My doctor suggested it to me after he read a book about early settlers and how heart disease was not a problem for them because their diet did not include sugar and flour products. My blood work results afte a few months of being on low-carb proved this way of eating works! My triglycerides dropped to 40 while my LDL and HDL saw great improvements as well! I will ALWAYS eat like this!"

It's funny how history can teach us a lot about eating right and staying healthy.

"Since I started my low-carb lifestyle in 2003, I've lost a significant amount of weight, eliminated prescription drugs for stomach problems, and cut my blood pressure medication in half!"

Bye bye pharmaceutical industry! We don't need ya anymore!

"I started low-carb nearly three years ago and lost almost 60 pounds. Best of all, I have been able to keep the weight off ever since! I actually weigh less now than I did when I got married 32 years ago! I exercise daily and I feel great!"

I was 2 years old when you got married. Sorry, couldn't resist!

"My husband and I found our experience with low-carb to be a god-send with him losing 65 pounds and keeping his blood sugar under control as a diabetic and me losing over 100 pounds."

A husband and wife super-low-carb loser team!!!

"In July 2005, I weighed 473 pounds and my life was a living hell with sleep apnea, severe edema in my legs, asthma, clothes that didn't fit and all the other lifestyle restrictions that obesity brings on. Thanks to low-carb, I currently weigh 360 pounds and find that things like exercise are a lot more accessible to me than ever before. I'm not giving up!"

Don't change a think and keep it going!

"At the beginning of 2005, I weighed 375 pounds, so I started cutting sugar and a lot of junk carbs from my diet. Although I lost a good deal of weight but then slipped up because I wasn't totally committed to it, I began anew in January 2006 and have seen incredible results so far. I can fit into pants I haven't been able to wear for eight years!"

The feeling of wearing smaller pants again gets your heart pumping!

"I've pretty much given up eating all sugar except for a small tasting on special occasions. I find that when I eat sugar and other unnecessary carbs, my body aches and I get tired easily."

Yawwwwwwn, what'd you say, I had a doughnut this morning...hee hee!

"Low-carb has helped me walk better, I have less digestive problems, and an overall better mental state."

The benefits of low-carb living are endless.

"I used to think there was something wrong with me and I lacked the willpower to succeed when I would get so hungry on my low-fat/low-calorie diets. Even when I ate low-fat foods, I was starving soon thereafter! I was sure that I had some kind of problem. Then I started eating low-carb and could eat lots of tasty and satisfying salads, meats, cheeses, eggs and I was STILL on the plan and NEVER felt hungry. WOW, what a way to eat!"

Anyone who can stick with low-fat must have a high tolerance for suffering!

"I've been living low-carb for three years now and have lost over 130 pounds. YIKESSSSS!!!!! That sounds like so much weight, but I haven't felt this good in years! It's like I'm 20 years old again and I'm really 50! What a difference cutting down on your carbs can make."

If low-carb knocks 30 years off your life, then I'm 4 years old again!

"I have lost 80 pounds in the last year and a half thanks to low-carb. I have 50 more pounds to lose and just take it one day at a time, even through the plateaus."

You will make it there if you don't get discouraged.

"From my youth, I had always struggled with low-energy and a slow metabolism along with a tenacious sweet tooth. In early 2001, I went on a low-fat/high-carb diet 'for my health' and suddenly found my body swelling up uncontrollably. I gained at least 20 pounds on top of other health issues I was dealing with. Needless to say, I was angry, shocked, and desperate for a solution. Six months later, someone suggested I go on low-carb and in less than a week I had my body and weight back under control again."

It's funny how low-carb fixes problems that low-fat diets cause.

"My reproductive endocrinologist put me on low-carb after seven years of trying to get pregnant. I have metabolic syndrome and PCOS and I have seen great ability to lose weight and maintain it on this way of eating."

Best wishes to you and your husband in your efforts to have a baby.

"Low-carb is the healthiest way to live and I am always at my best when I'm sticking with the low-carb lifestyle! It has helped me in more ways than I can count. I think clearer. I feel more energetic. My weight is healthier and my health problems are all gone now! I feel better than I did when I was a teenager!"

I never even felt this good when I was a teen!

"I lost so much weight so fast on Atkins that I was hooked on it for life, even when the weight loss slowed."

After losing 30 pounds in month 1 and 40 more in month 2 of my plan, I agree!

"I started on low-carb in March 2003 and was going through breast cancer treatments. I wanted to get the weight off that I had gained so I could lower my risk of a cancer relapse. To date, I have lost 140 pounds with no reoccurrences of the cancer. It has been three years now and I can't imagine living any other way."

We'll keep praying that low-carb keeps the cancer bug away.

"Low-carb is the ONLY way for me to lose weight and keep it off. I have an extremely poor metabolism and had tried counting calories before switching to low-carb. I actually GAINED two pounds a week on my low-calorie diet. When my weight was just shy of 300 pounds, I began the low-carb lifestyle after watching an episode of 'The Simpsons' where Homer joked about how his obesity may qualify him to be considered 'handicapped' and he could sit at home all day instead of work. I didn't want that to be me! I'm losing weight slowly, but my health and quality of life has dramatically improved."

Doh! Good ole Homer was finally good for SOMETHING!

"I started Atkins back in February 2004 and weighed 202 pounds on my 5'4" body. Low-carb helped me get my weight down to 154 pounds by September that year when I got married to the love of my life. Although I have strayed from the program slightly, I am rededicated to livin' la vida low-carb so I can reach my goal of 150 pounds by the end of the year."

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

"Low-carb makes me feel great and I believe I will live for a very long time because of it!"

I expect to live much longer than I would had I remained over 400 pounds.

"In a nutshell, low-carb is the only way of eating that's ever really helped me lose weight. I seriously think my body has a hard time with refined carbohydrates and sugar. I knew I had a serious problem with cravings when I actually contemplated taking money out of my husband's wallet after he was asleep to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips! Now that I watch my carbs, I don't have these kind of psycho cravings anymore. It's like I was a junkie or something before, but never again!"

Most people need to cut their refined carb and sugar intake for health and weight management.

"I did low-carb in the 1970's when Dr. Atkins' book first came out and lost weight. But then I started listening to all the nonsense that critics of this way of eating said and forgot about it. My mistake. I went on to gain 155 pounds over the next 20 years. But in 2001, after trying everything and finding nothing worked, I had gastric bypass surgery. Imagine my surprise, though, when my doctor told me that I should follow a low-carb lifestyle for the rest of my life. I lost 127 pounds in the first two years and am only a few pounds away now from my goal of 163 pounds."

Those naysayers have a way of fooling people, but welcome back to reality.

"I have always been 15 pounds overweight and low-carb is helping me lose that weight...FINALLY!"

The truth about low-carb is growing and growing.

"I first became aware of low-carb living when I picked up a copy of Dr. Eades' Protein Power book several years ago. I lost over 50 pounds, plateaued, and then started cheating a bit and stopped execising. I'm back on low-carb hardcore now and am reaping the benefits of low-carb living in not only my weight, but my health, too!"

Pick a low-carb plan and make it work for you!

"I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and my doctor says I have 'insulin-resistant cells.' I was prescribed some medicine for diabetes and told to go on a low-carb diet. Although my body is fighting with me on this, I have been able to manage a 20-pound weight loss and expect to continue to see improvements in my condition."

You will win this battle and low-carb is helping you get there.

"Three and a half years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and weighed a hefty 315 pounds. I lost 85 pounds after this diagnosis and believe low-carb will help me keep the weight off and control my blood sugar."

Stabilizing blood sugar levels is an amazing side effect of low-carb.

"The low-carb lifestyle is helping me control my diabetes."

Don't ever stop using low-carb to control your diabetes.

"I lost 30 pounds on the original Atkins diet in 1981 and I've kept it off ever since. In fact, I lost another 10 pounds in 2001 as I am trying to combat middle-age gravity! LOL!"

That gravitational pull does seem to get heavier as we age. :D

"I am livin' and lovin' low-carb because I had been doing a low-calorie/low-fat diet for over a year and had seen a plateau in my weight loss. My husband also wanted to lose weight and thought my plan was too restrictive for him, so he started on low-carb after researching about how it could help him. My husband lost 40 pounds and inspired me to join him. I've lost about 10 pound since February 2006 and can't believe I can eat butter, sharp cheddar cheese, blue cheese dressing, steak, and, of course, lots a great veggies, too -- AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT! After doing low-fat for a year I swear my mouth is having a party with all the flavors it is getting to experience now. And best of all, I'm not hungry like I was on my other plan."

Tasty food AND weight loss! Now there's a novel concept!

"In August 2004, I started my low-carb lifestyle and lost 74 pounds in the next thirteen months. I have been able to maintain that weight loss ever since by continuing to eat low-carb. So far so good. I am happier and healthier than I could have ever imagined. I love this way of eating and can't see why I would ever change a thing! My husband joined me in my low-carb lifestyle earlier this year and has already dropped 50 pounds while seeing his triglycerides plummet over 100 points with a couple of months without ever giving up a bit of fat in his diet. Also, his blood sugar dropped to normal and he's feeling better than he has in years. NOTHING beats this diet -- Viva low-carb!"

Long live livin' la vida low-carb!

"I first went on a low-carb diet in 2004 under orders from my doctor. My triglycerides were sky high, my total cholesterol was high and I was overweight. I started following the Atkins diet, lost 35 pounds, and have been able to keep it off. Together with low-carb and exercise, my triglycerides, total cholesterol and blood pressure have all dropped to very healthy levels and I feel much better than I ever have."

Health improvements abound when you go on low-carb.

But, but, but...

As you can see, despite all the constant negativity you may hear about livin' la vida low-carb, the fact of the matter is it IS alive and doing quite well for people even in 2006. BELIEVE IT!

And those quotes I provided above are only just a small sampling of the literal millions of examples that low-carb not only works, but is STILL working and will continue to be working forever and ever and ever.

Low-carb...dead? Riiiiiiiiiigght! In your dreams!

1 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

The problem is not that low-carb is dead. It isn't and never will be. Controlled-carb nutrition has a proven track record of thousands of years of evolution. The problem is the hurd-mentality: the majority of individuals these days are braindead and not able to think for themselves. They just follow the (media)hurd. That's the problem...

5/07/2006 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home