MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Googled By Vegan Envious Of Low-Carb Success

It's funny how the ripple effect of just one blog post can continue to make waves long after it was written.

Ever since my book review of the anti-Atkins book called "Skinny Bitch" back in February where the authors wrote "you are a total moron if you think the Atkins diet will make you thin," the vegans have come out of the woodwork to attack me and the livin' la vida low-carb personally in e-mails, posts and now on other blogs.

A vegan blogger named Beth Kujawski wrote on her Finding My Voice blog recently about discovering my book review in a Google search looking for a web site about the "Skinny Bitch" book.

I Googled "Skinny Bitch" to see if the girls have a web site, and ran across a blog entry that reads, in part, "... I guess you're gonna have to call me a 'moron' because that's exactly what the Atkins diet did for me! I was transformed from a 410-pound ticking time bomb on the verge of a certain heart attack down to an athletic and healthy 225-pound man ready to live a long and healthy life in just ONE year. Now I'm 'Livin' La Vida Low-Carb' (my autobiographical book is available at Amazon.com) and I'll never be the same again!"

Kujawski goes on to deride my hometown of Spartanburg, South Carolina by opining that it is "where barbeque is a way of life" (what the heck is that all about?!) and then demands me to "Use your head."

Declaring that she "tried the low-carb, high-protein thing once for a couple weeks" and even "lost weight" on it, Kujawski said she somehow "knew what I was eating couldn't be good for me."

Does anyone honestly believe that they can eat steak dipped in butter for the rest of their life and be healthy? Apparently, some people do.

Yep, you've got us low-carbers pegged, Ms. Kujawski. We can wait to wake up in the morning and start grilling up that pound of bacon we eat with our dozen eggs and block of cheese on top. Then we go for our bunless hamburgers for lunch along with a stick of pepperoni. For supper, we can't wait to eat a big fat juicy steak swimming in 5 sticks of butter to end off our day on low-carb.

Do you honestly believe that is what livin' la vida low-carb is all about? Oi! No wonder you've got people wanting to run away from the "low-carb" label in favor of something less abrasive with such idiotic and mindless thinking as this. If people think this is the Atkins diet, then it is obvious they've never read the book. To call someone a "moron" for following a diet plan that they haven't even read about is the height of ignorance.

Kujawski goes on to point out that "the Atkins craze has abated" because "we're not hearing about it every day on the news."

We're not seeing Atkins-approved products sprout up in every section of the grocery store anymore. Gee. Why is that? Maybe it's because people started to think that: 1) Eating nothing but protein is really frickin' expensive, 2) Maybe it wasn't the end-all, be-all path to wellness, and 3) They didn't want to live in a world without a potato.

While the media has hurled insult after insult against the low-carb lifestyle, that hardly means nobody is doing it anymore. This Ask Men column reminds people that there are still millions of people following this way of eating and it is making them healthier, lighter and better than ever! We don't need any vegans to tell us how rotten our nutritional approach is when the proof is in the results.

To supposedly make her point, Kujawski said she had a friend who was a "full-fledged Atkins prophet."

She would write e-mails, at length, about how great she felt - how clear-headed - and I watched as the weight dropped off. She wore smaller and smaller jeans. She tucked in her shirts. She faithfully ate her Atkins bars and meat. Atta girl.

But...

A couple months ago, I ran into her, and she was heavier than she was when she first started the Atkins diet. Uh oh.

What "uh oh?" The friend was going along great livin' la vida low-carb and obviously hit a major bump in the road in her quest to get healthy and stay healthy. It reminds me of the "friend" of another anti-Atkins advocate I blogged about recently. You can't blame the Atkins diet for causing these failures.

If low-carb is working well to keep your weight and health under control, then why would you ever eat any other way? The answer is YOU WOULDN'T! That's what these vocal opponents of the low-carb lifestyle can't seem to understand. We're not talking about a temporary "diet" here. We have found a LONG-TERM solution to a LIFETIME problem that so many of us have to deal with.

So you wanna suck on veggies as your permanent lifestyle choice? That's fine with me. But don't try to guilt-trip me with your "oh, but the animal feels such pain" argument. God gave us the animals to eat and enjoy as part of our HEALTHY diets. I gladly enjoy being one of the People Eating Tasty Animals, thank you very much! And YES, it's keeping my weight under control and I've never been healthier in my entire life!

Why don't we educate Beth Kujawski further about how healthy the Atkins/low-carb approach really is by sharing with her how this way of eating has changed our lives? Send her an e-mail at bethkujawski@earthlink.net.

5-25-06 UPDATE: A vegan author weighs in...

You can lose a lot of weight on the Atkins or other low-carb diets, its true, but it is really unhealthy! Carbohydrates are molecules that attach two water molecules to themselves and store that in your body. Carbohydrates are essential to our bodies to stay hydrated. When you do the Atkins diet you basically are taking all the water out of your cells. Um, not smart! That's why people on Atkins have no glow, no aura, can't conceive a baby, cant' think straight, and experience a host of health problems such as heart attacks like Atkins himself did!

Our body needs water for almost every function! Carbohydrates are one of the three essential nutrients every cell in your body needs to function. These three are of course fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Remember your biology 101 class in junior high!

Better to avoid the meat, dairy and grains and load up on the fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds!

Jinjee Talifero, author
The Garden Diet
http://www.TheGardenDiet.com


This person like using exclamation points, doesn't she?!!!!!!!!! :D

6-2-06 UPDATE: Well, Beth Kujawski blogged about me again after one of her readers alerted her about this blog post I wrote. These people get quite vicious is in their opposition to livin' la vida low-carb and it makes me laugh my head off when they called me "stupid," a "meat-eating minion," and a "coward." And these people expect us to take them seriously?

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! She has to attack where you live?!? Talk about not having a valid argument. When people have no facts to back up their beliefs they resort to attacking the person. There's a name for that (that I can't spell) and it's NOT a valid form of debate.

What do these people learn in school? When I went to college, logic and speech (which included debate) were *required* classes to graduate.

Anyway, I'm low carb and live in the liberal bastian of America - the San Francisco Bay Area. Wonder what she would say about that...

As for what I eat, I just finished a couple of meat and cheese lettuce wraps and am going to have some plain yogurt next. I'm going to follow that with a huge salad. I'm just soooo deprived, lol!

If she wants to be taking seriously by those of us who actually think, she needs to post some studied. Otherwise she needs to shut up because I haven't seen a valid arguement come from her yet and I believe in a little thing known as science.

5/24/2006 12:52 AM  
Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

The seem to be able to dish it out harshly, but can't take even a little bit of it themselves!

I found this funny site:-

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sponsor

5/24/2006 3:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

II fail to understand why someone feels the need to attack another person's way of eating, and then to make the attack personal....come on this isn't the first grade. If you get to state your objections to my way of eating, then you need to have the common courtesy to allow me to right to say why I chose this path. If you feel better eating the vegan way, then by all means follow that path. But for me, and me alone I am speaking for here, a low carb way of eating makes me feel better and thankfully helps me lose weight. Not that I don't eat my fair share of veggies, I LOVE my veggies and fruits. I just make sure it falls within my carb limit for the day. If you don't agree with my way of eating, fine, don't do it. I don't see how it affects you unless you live with me and I cook for you on a daily basis. Follow your bliss, baby......just allow me to do the same.

5/24/2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Well... I guess this is another prime example of the "ad hominem" attack - the ultimate proof of total intellectual bankruptcy. If they have no factual arguments or hard evidence they will attack the person. Cheap, much easier (what is cheaper and easier than redicule, after all) and, at least in the eyes of their fellow-imbecils, quite effective.

5/24/2006 10:48 AM  
Blogger Viking Dan said...

Either low-carbers or vegetarians *tend* to eliminate a lot of processed garbage from their systems.

I sometimes wonder if the people who do poorly on Atkins were eating nothing but imitation cheese and Atkins bars loaded with intestine-twisting sugar alcohol.

The common thread could be hydrogenated oil and/or high fructose corn syrup.

Who knows?

Anywho, I have a steak omelet to get to. Yum!

5/24/2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger Viking Dan said...

Almost forgt. Here's another nice pro-meat page:

http://www.i-mockery.com/meatatarian/

5/24/2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

The science purification cabal strikes again: "Remember your biology 101 class in junior high!"

HA! It has been a long time since a laughed out loud that hard after reading that comment. "Essential carbohydrates"? And this person is talking about biology 101? I wonder what kind of school that was. Maybe especially for vegetarians?

Nutritional science does NOT recognize carbohydrates as essential. They are simply NOT essential, period. There are essential fats, and essential proteins. There is no such thing as essential carbohydrates.

And then this yadda-yadda about water... my God. This person really wrote a "garden" diet book?

Sorry, but I really have to sigh...

5/25/2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Same here Science. I had to snicker when - to my utter surprize - I found out Atkins died from a heart attack! Oh...my...gosh. She REALLY need to get her facts straight if she wants to be taken seriously.

And the water thing, lol! I was so BLOATED before. Now I'm not. :)

If I'm so dehydrated how come my urea nitrogen tests came back normal?

5/28/2006 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home