MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Jimmy's Bring-Back-The-Memories Low-Carb Caramel Butter Pecan Pancakes


These filling low-carb pancakes bring back memories of yesteryear

One of the fondest memories I have from my childhood was the tradition that my mother had of cooking a big breakfast on Saturday morning. No matter how tired I was while laying in bed, the scintillating aroma of sizzling bacon and sausage along with the sweet fragrance of freshly-made pancakes was enough to wake up a dead horse! :D

Mom was so good to Kevin, Beverly and I, although we probably ate a lot more carbs than we ever needed. That's why I was so excited when I found out about a special low-carb pancake mix from Dixie Diner with just 1g net carb per serving. Since I have had good experiences with other Dixie Diner products, I decided to try this pancake mix for myself.

Whoo wee, these pancakes are soooooo good! As much as I like regular pancakes, it was time for me to be a little more creative and come up with a recipe that will show off the mmm mmm goodness of the Dixie Diner pancake mix along with a few extras to give it that WOW factor that I always strive for when I'm cooking. My pancakes are a little bigger than the "serving" size that Dixie Diner came up with, but they are oh so worth it!

Here's what I came up with! They are so thick and filling, you'll not be able to eat more than one pancake, though, so you won't be going overboard with these pancakes. And they turned out fantabulously well when I made them for the first time today. Even my non-low-carb eating wife Christine was impressed and could barely eat the one pancake herself. ENJOY!

LOW-CARB CARAMEL BUTTER PECAN PANCAKES

2 eggs
1 package of Dixie Diner Pancake Mix
1/3 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of water
50 mL DaVinci Caramel Syrup
1 pound shelled pecans, whole
1 stick of butter


In a large bowl, whisk the 2 eggs for a couple of minutes until they start to get frothy. Add the Dixie Diner Pancake Mix, heavy cream, water, DaVinci Caramel Syrup and whisk together until well blended. Add the pecans and stir until thoroughly mixed.

Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium-medium high and put a couple of tablespoons of the butter in the pan. When the skillet is hot, take a ladel and scoop out the batter mix into the skillet. Cook the pancakes for 30-45 seconds and flip with a spatula. Then cook another 30-45 seconds on the other side and use the spatula to place on a plate.

Re-butter the skillet and repeat the process over and over again until you run out of batter.

Makes 6 large pancakes (and you'll only be able to eat one they're so filling!).

I like to top off my pancakes with Sugar-Free Mrs. Butterworth's syrup (since this syrup is no longer available!) and all those happy childhood memories come flooding back to my mind when I eat these pancakes. Start making memories with your kids now while giving them a healthier version of what has long been an unhealthy food to eat. Not anymore!

Net Carbs: 6g
Fiber: 8g
Protein: 11g

1 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Can you fax me some of these, Jimmy? :)

5/22/2006 1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home