MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Coincide Publishing Closes Door On Remaining Remnants Of Low-Carb Magazine

Okay, now I'm REALLY bummed out.

I just got word today from a representative at Coincide Publishing that they have decided to drop SheKnows LowCarb (which we already knew about) as well as SheKnows Diet & Fitness which was going to feature my column "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb."

When they changed the name of LowCarb Energy magazine to SheKnows LowCarb in January 2006, I should have known something was up. But I held out hope that they would still keep the low-carb message alive since a survey of the magazine subscribers showed they still adhere to livin' la vida low-carb. I guess it just wasn't enough.

So, my hopes to write for a national health and diet magazine have been dashed that quickly. Bummer. I guess now I'm happy I got this article in SheKnows LowCarb before they went away forever. And what's really bad is I had already written and submitted TWO columns for Diet & Fitness magazine to be featured this Fall. Shoot! All that work for nothing.

The Coincide representative said she regretted to inform me that they have indeed "ceased publication" on the magazines and noted that it was a "difficult decision" for them to make.

"But [the decision was] one our small company just had to make at this point," the representative stated.

I'm feeling kinda Bon Jovi right now since I've been "shot down in a blaze of glory." :( Oh well, I've still all you guys to write columns for at my blog, right? Of course, if there are any other magazines out there looking for someone to write about low-carb living, then I think I might know somebody who could step right into that role. :D

I would like to personally thank my editors during my brief stint with the SheKnows family -- Jen Wolfe and Karen Rysavy. They first noticed my writing last year when they named my blog one of the top 3 low-carb blogs of 2005. That was such an honor and I will never forget their belief in me for what I am attempting to do to help others with their weight problems.

It's just such a shame that people who still believe in the low-carb lifestyle strongly (can you tell I'm one of them?!) don't have a greater outlet for dispersing our thoughts and ideas to the masses. Sure, we have our blogs and web sites, but those can only reach just so many people. There has to be investors out there who are willing to see solid information and commentary regarding the low-carb lifestyle be distributed to a world where two out of every three people are overweight or obese and one in three are diabetic or pre-diabetic.

Will any of them be willing to put their money where their mouth is and support those individuals who still desire to bring the REAL low-carb lifestyle to the mainstream of society? Anyone?

6-18-2006 UPDATE: For those of you who were subscribed to LowCarb Energy, Cooking Smart or Diet & Fitness magazines, here is the official response regarding the state of your subscription:

"We regret to announce that we will no longer be publishing LowCarb Energy, Cooking Smart and Diet & Fitness magazines. We are working diligently to find another magazine publisher to take over the titles and who will fulfill the remaining portion of your magazine subscriptions. Thank you for your support and understanding."

I'm not sure WHO they will transfer your subscriptions to, but don't count on them being necessarily friendly to your low-carb lifestyle. :(

5 Comments:

Blogger Zoli Erdos said...

It's not just the magazine ... products disappear, too... I can no longer find my fav Krusteaz carbsimple muffin mix :-(

6/18/2006 7:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great. I wonder if they'll give me my refund. I guess I'll have to subscribe to another diet magazine and just ignore all the low-fat diet advice.

6/18/2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

I think the money to be made by low fat product advertising is still the dominant force.

The low fat message of "You can have all your favourites, just in moderation" is too great to fight against.

If people really want results, they will find low carb!

6/18/2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Spinster Sister said...

I received a postcard last month from She Knows Low Carb telling me that my remaining issues will be transferred to She Knows Diet & Fitness...now what?

I subscribed to all 3 of their publications...wonder if we're going to get pro-rated refunds or is our money gone for good gone ala Low Carb Living?

6/19/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They pretty much told me the same as you - they are trying to find another publisher. I'm thinking of asking for my money back and putting it toward a magazine with a proven track record like Muscle and Fitness Hers.

6/19/2006 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home