Show your patriotism and stick with low-carb living with this cake
I'm here to tell you how very privileged I feel to be able to identify myself as a citizen of the greatest country in the history of the world -- the United States of America. This amazing country was founded on the principles of freedom and still stands strong as a beacon of light and hope for a bright tomorrow for so many people around the world.
While we may have our differences with those who have been given the incredible responsibility for leading America, no true American who believes in the very principles and values this country was founded on back in 1776 would ever speak badly of a country that has given them more than they could ever imagine. Differences aside, America is a great nation worthy of celebrating its 230th birthday on July 4th!
Have I got an incredibly delicious and fruity patriotic low-carb dessert for you that will dazzle and wow everyone at your holiday party! This Low-Carb American Flag Cake is a decorative way to show your love for your country and for your waistline featuring healthy fruits for people who are livin' la vida low-carb such as strawberries and blueberries. Mmmmmm!
If you are a flag-wavin', low-carb lovin' American, then you won't want to miss out on making this surprising easy recipe compliments of our friends at Low-Carb Connoisseur.
LOW-CARB AMERICAN FLAG CAKE
1 3/4 cup Carbquik Bake Mix
1 cup Diabetisweet or Splenda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
9 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 teaspoons Singing Dog vanilla extract, divided
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Diabetisweet or Splenda
1 quart strawberries, halved
1/2 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13” x 9” baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl whisk bake mix, sugar substitute, salt and zest. Combine yolks, water, oil and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Slowly add the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, whisking until just combined.
3. With an electric mixer on high, beat whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
4. Using a rubber spatula, fold whites into batter in three additions. Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly and smooth top. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and sides have just started to pull away from the pan. Allow cake to cool completely, about 1 hour.
5. Transfer cake to a serving platter, running a sharp knife around the side to help release. Insert strips of waxed paper underneath cake. With an electric mixer on high, beat cream, remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and sugar substitute until soft peaks form. Using a metal spatula, spread whipped cream in an even layer on top and sides of cake.
6. Form “stars” by arranging blueberries in upper left corner of cake to form a 4”x3” blue square. Form "stripes" by arranging strawberries in 4 equally-spaced horizontal lines across cake.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 30 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Total Carbohydrates: 15g
Net Carbs: 10g