MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, June 26, 2006

Proof Positive That Sugar Shatters Your Health


Dr. Nancy Appleton is one of the fiercest opponents of sugar

Despite all the evidence pointing to how unhealthy it is for people to consume, sugar is still given a virtual free pass by many of the so-called health experts in this country because they don't believe it is a contributing factor to obesity and health problems such as diabetes, heart disease and worse. It doesn't help matters that they cite studies showing sugar is good for mental health, healthy living in general, and other such idiotic nonsense. That's why the average American consumes a whopping 146 pounds of sugar every year! Ay-yi-yi!

Nevertheless, people who have researched the definite detrimental impact sugar is having on the body know that it is much worse for you to consume than fat ever will be and has certain addictive properties which lead to obesity and its related diseases. We should probably thank the late Dr. Robert C. Atkins for bringing this to the forefront of the American health debate.

One of my faithful readers (there's a LOT of you out there now, too!) e-mailed me the other day with the most unique list of reasons why you should avoid eating sugar and it even includes all the references to support each and every claim. The list was compiled by anti-sugar author and spokeswoman Dr. Nancy Appleton.

My reader said her life has changed ever since she was able to "kick that sugar habit" after applying what she learned in this blog post I wrote last year as well as in my 7 tips for kicking sugar for good and even referenced in my book "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb".

"If people would just realize what sugar, HFCS, and white flour does to their bodies, they'd avoid it like rat poison," my reader wrote.

This week will be the one-year sugar-free anniversary for my reader and I couldn't be prouder to have played a small role in that happening. She's lost 25 pounds, but more importantly is the fact that she feels better than she has in a very long time.

"The best part is that I don't even miss it. I can walk by the bakery section at Kroger or Wal-Mart and actually get nauseous from the overwhelming smell sugar."

That's an amazing story of transformation and I can certainly relate 2 1/2 years after I kicked sugar for good. I would probably throw up now if I ever consumed more than a gram or two of sugar in one sitting ever again. I don't even want to THINK about it!

My co-workers know that I avoid sugar, but they still do everything in their power to try to tempt me with doughnuts, cakes, pies, cupcakes and more. But I am livin' la vida low-carb now and I CAN'T ever have those things again. One bite leads to one more and one more and the addiction starts all over again.

"You mean you don't and won't ever eat sugar like you did before ever again?!"

I get that question a lot from sincere people who must not think it is humanly possible to ditch sugar. My response is delivered with the most honest voice and look I can give when I say, "I can't and won't do that to my body ever again and I'm happy with that decision."

People who either don't struggle with their weight or just don't care have no concept of how monumental the decision to stop eating sugar is. It's lifechanging because it allows you to experience life free from the physical and even emotional bondage that sugar puts you though. The negative impact of sugar on our bodies is worse than any of us probably even realize.

After narrowing down the choices, here are my top 10 from Dr. Appleton's list of the 146 reasons why sugar is ruining your health:

1. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
2. Sugar can weaken eyesight.
3. Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract.
4. Sugar can cause premature aging.
5. Sugar contributes to obesity
6. Sugar can cause heart disease.
7. Sugar is enemy #1 of the bowel movement.
8. Sugar can cause depression.
9. Sugar feeds cancer.
10. Sugar is an addictive substance.

Do you have a story of how you overcame your sugar addiction like this reader and this 148-pound weight loss success story? Please feel free to tell us what you did to do it once and for all, including how long you have been off of sugar and what life is like for you today.

Free free to e-mail Dr. Nancy Appleton at info@nancyappleton.com or visit her web site at NancyAppleton.com.

6-28-06 UPDATE: Here is the very nice e-mail note I received from Dr. Nancy Appleton today.

Dear Jimmy,

What a great website. Spread the word. My mouth is not large enough.

Warmly,
Nancy


THANKS for writing to me, Nancy. We need more people like you willing to share the evidence that consuming sugar is harming our health. Please let me know if there is anything me and my readers can do to help you in this fight. Take care!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

Jimmy,

When you put it in strong words like "Sugar is an addictive substance", you really 'drive home' the message for me.

You are totally right! I have found sugar to be highly addictive, and ultimately damaging to my health.

Thanks

Dave

6/27/2006 2:37 AM  
Blogger ... said...

thanks for pointing your readers to this list of reasons not to eat sugar. It is an eye-opener ...

6/27/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger moderator said...

I'm with diamondwife - whenever I think about having "just one" I know it will lead to "one more." Weight loss notwithstanding, I don't want to be sick all the time. Sugar makes me sick.

6/27/2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do pig out on sugar and carbs occationally, not because I need them but just because they taste so good. Most of the time, however, I'm good and stay away from it - and feel better. The energy lag after a carb binge can be difficult because then you need more sugar to feel okay again and the cycle continues.

On the "one" thing, I came up with a new saying last weekend - "One brownie is four too many!"

6/27/2006 9:46 PM  
Blogger Phoenix said...

I think that biggest thing I have notice is memory, last school term I was still eating sugar and having a hard time just remembering thing, now since I have been on atkins for the last few weeks, and started a summer class, and I have had an easier time just remembering things, its been great

6/27/2006 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home