MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Should I Take A Chance On Low-Carb?

I received a cry for help e-mail today from a diabetic woman who is 5'1" tall and weighs 229 pounds. She told me she earnestly wants to lose weight after failing time and time again on a low-fat, high-carb diet. To make matters worse, she recently paid a dietician $60 to put her on a 1400-calorie per day diet which only resulted in a two-pound weight loss.

Needless to say, she admitted to me that she's hungry, "miserable," and desperately wants and needs to lose weight. After reading my blog and seeing stories of people who have been livin' la vida low-carb and then for some reason trying another way only to experience weight gain, this dear soul wants to know what to do because she said "I'm there, too!"

"The most success I have ever found in weight loss (and I can speak from much experience in trying) is the low-carb way.

She lost nearly 25 pounds in 2005 thanks to the low-carb lifestyle and has seen her weight creeping back up again. I don't know why she stopped low-carb, but she is now asking what she should do about her weight.

"Should I take the chance of doing low-carb again?"

I told her that I would pose this question to my readers since we have such a wide array of readers who have either experienced tremendous weight loss and improved health (like me!) because of this way of eating or works directly with overweight and obese patients on implementing a low-carb strategy to help them control their weight.

My advice to her was to never stop hoping for weight loss and to let that motivate her to become the success she so desires to be. I KNOW she can do it and low-carb can help her get there. What say YOU?

6-3-06 UPDATE: A man with diabetes who is relatively new to livin' la vida low-carb wanted to share with my reader the amazing success he has seen so far.

I started a low-carb diet in February, after being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. The Dr. and the Dietician wanted to promote their Food Pyramid scam, but after reading Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, and Diabetes book, there was no way I was going to do that.

Four months later, I am 55 pounds lighter, my waist is 8 inches smaller, and I work out 6 days a week. I haven't felt better in years. Better yet, my diabetes is in full control. I'm going in for lab work next week, but anticipate my A1C should be in the low 5's (it was in the 11's). I have 50 more pounds to go, but have moved in the OWL mode, so I'll be happy if I continue to lose a pound a week or so. This is a lifestyle change I anticipate keeping for the rest of my life.


WOO HOO! Now THAT is a great testimony about how low-carb living can change your life. Anyone else?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

Sadly Gary, The standard diet given to diabetics is a high carb low fat one. This is mandated by both the American and Australian Authorities. They won't be able to sell so much synthetic insulin otherwise!

On the topic,
I have found Low Carb still requires a lot of determination, patience and persistence. The weight loss does ended up slowing down to a steady rate. It's not a magic pill, but it's a heck of a lot easier than High Carb Low Fat!!!

6/04/2006 3:56 AM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Gary,

You are 100% right on the money here, of course, but the sad fact is that, for example in the UK, indeed the standard diet for diabetics is still a low-fat, high-carb diet. Nobody is interested in GI or Glycemic load for that matter - they see that as "low carb nonsense". Heck, even the website of the ADA urges diabetics to consume STARCHY veggies, because, it says, "they are good for you".

Of course science has known since the 1930's that diabetics do much better on a low-carb diet, and that it will indeed prolong their life and limit and even stop or reverse glycative damage. Yet, here we are, a full 8 decades later, prescribing, in all our magnificent stupidity, the absolutely and utterly WRONG diet to diabetics. With full Government and "health" authorities blessing, mind you! And Big Pharma grinning in the background.

What a world huh? I realize that cynicism is a slow poison, but personally, I would not trust ANY health authority or Gov't for that matter to even tie my shoelaces.

6/04/2006 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home