MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, July 24, 2006

Australia's 'Low-Carb Dave' Loses 130 Pounds In One Year On Atkins Diet


"Low-Carb Dave" has become an ardent supporter of the Atkins diet

I am thoroughly convinced that there is nothing more lifechanging that can happen to someone in this world than to overcome a lifelong struggle with obesity. Unless you have personally gone through the pain and agony of living this life in the body of a fat person, then you will never understand what attaining victory over that does to you not only physically, but also in so many intangible ways that cut to the very core and fiber of your being. And the millions of internal changes are even bigger than the external ones.

That's why it gives me great pleasure to offer my heartfelt and sincere CONGRATULATIONS to one of the truly good guys in this world who is affectionately known as "Low-Carb Dave" because he is celebrating his official one-year anniversary on the Atkins diet on July 25, 2006 after losing an amazing 130 pounds! WOWsers, Dave, you lost a whole person already, buddy! Way to go!

This 30-year-old Melbourne, Victoria Australia native, who I have previously blogged about, has thrown himself fully into the low-carb lifestyle and the proof of its effectiveness in his life is in the unbelievable results he has experienced. Like me, Dave is tall standing at 6'3" which makes him a formidable presence with or without the weight.

But what a change has happened in his life over the past 365 days as a result of this way of eating that has been much maligned over the past year or so. That is something that us "big" low-carb weight losers are trying to change by sharing our stories of success and victory thanks to livin' la vida low-carb!

In this blog post he wrote today at his blog, Dave said he finally "made the connection" about the low-carb lifestyle and has "made the lifelong commitment" to stick with it forever to continue losing weight and then keep it off for the rest of his life.

Before low-carb, our friend Dave was a ticking time bomb on his way to an early grave -- 473 pounds, an off-the-charts BMI of 60(!), insulin resistant, always hungry, severe sleep apnea, edema in his legs, and even asthma. To say his health was declining last year is an understatement. I can certainly relate as a former 410-pound man with a BMI of 52, borderline diabetic, always hungry, on medications for breathing, cholesterol and high blood pressure, and living a miserable life. Being morbidly obese really sucks, doesn't it Dave?!

But just as my weight and health improved in 2004 after shedding 180 pounds in one year as a result of the Atkins diet, so too has Dave's condition improved -- he now weighs 343 (an eye-popping 130-pound weight loss!) and is still losing at a very healthy 2.5-pound-a-week average. He has also seen his BMI drop to 44, an incredible 27 percent drop in just 12 months. YEE HAW, Dave! Keep it going, mate! :D

Even better is the fact that Dave says his "health has improved greatly." No doubt! And the best is still yet to come as this energetic Aussie keeps on keeping on to prove livin' la vida low-carb is STILL changing people's lives in the year 2006 and beyond whether the media and the so-called health "experts" like it or not.

Dave, you are making a bold and thunderous statement with your weight loss and I am so very proud of you for what you have been able to accomplish thus far! You carry the torch for the Atkins low-carb diet high for so many who desperately need to do it for themselves. Here's hoping they'll give it a chance before it's too late.

Imagine my surprise when "Low-Carb Dave" starts thanking the people who have helped him endure through his fantastic low-carb weight loss success when he mentions me and my blog.

"I would also like to thank Jimmy Moore for his inspiration and friendship over at his Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog. Jimmy's incredible enthusiasm and his own inspiring weight loss story provided a rock for me during those early days."

Aww, Dave, you're gonna make me cry, man! Shoot, there goes my mascara now! LOL!

I could certainly reciprocate those comments about you, too, Dave, for your faithful readership at my blog and posting your unique perspective on the low-carb topics of the day. You certainly have a lot of credibility in my eyes to speak out as someone who not only theorizes about low-carb principles, but is actually LIVING THEM! The authenticity you bring to livin' la vida low-carb is why I always admired what you have to say even when I disagree with you.

With one year now under his belt (in that area of his body that is vanishing right before our eyes!), Dave says he looks forward to "much more weight loss, exercise and fitness, and lots of really enjoyable low carb food." Amen, brother! Wouldn't it be neat if we could have a low-carb feast together sometime in the future? What a party that would be!!! Whatcha cookin' on the barbie?! :)

Wanna wish "Low-Carb Dave" a hearty atta boy about his Atkins weight loss success? Just click here to read what others have written to him and to post your own encouraging comments. There's nothing more motivating in this world than to know that people are behind you supporting what you are doing 100 percent. Let's all let "Low-Carb Dave" know how much you appreciate what he has been able to do with his weight loss and share the love of the "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog readership with him.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

WOW Thanks Jimmy! I am very honoured!

I must say you are the king of enthusiasm when it comes to low carb!

Even though I have come so far, I am still very much aware that my fight with obesity is ever present. I would very much like to match my 130 pound loss with another 130 pound loss in the coming year!

Now that I am in a better condition to exercise, I hope to do a lot more exercise!

I am still learning about a healthy life!

Thanks again Jimmy!

Dave

7/24/2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

You are most definitely welcome for all that you have done, Dave. I'm glad to know you as a fellow low-carb weight loss success but, more importantly, as my friend. I'm gonna make it to the "land down under" one of these days and my first stop will be to meet "Low-Carb Dave." :D

7/24/2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Dave, my heart-felt congratulations with this fantastic result! You keep going! I lost more than 200 pounds on Atkins and kept it off for almost a decade now. The health benefits are awesome and lasting, as you already have experienced yourself. Again, my congratulations. I'm proud of you :D

7/25/2006 6:50 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Welcome, Gena, and DON'T be a stranger. Where's your new blog located on the Internet? :)

7/25/2006 8:02 AM  
Blogger Kris The Grumpy said...

*shakes pom poms* Go Dave!
I'll just say that the loss of 130 pounds has made a massive difference to our lives... we've a way to go yet but things are so much better.
For one thing, we can get out and do things and I don't have to worry about him getting tired and wanting to go home 15 minutes later (that's me these days :) )
I've only lost 40-ish pounds but it hasn't gone back on. I'll be sticking with this WOE for lifestyle reasons.
I'm really impressed with D's commitment and ability to effect positive change, and he is going to get to goal, no question of that.

Go Dave!!

7/25/2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

:) Kris The Grumpy (post above) is my fiancee.

Dave

7/26/2006 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home