MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, July 23, 2006

How Many Carbs Daily Do You Eat On Low-Carb?

"Hey, you've lost weight on that low-carb thing, so how many carbs do you eat per day when you are on that diet anyway, dude?"

You know, I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that question asked. I would be a very rich man. But the answer is simple and complex at the same time.

First the simple answer: When you first start livin' la vida low-carb, the object is to keep your carbohydrate intake near 20g to help get your body into ketosis so it will start burning fat. This two-week Induction phase is absolutely necessary to rid your body of sometimes years of built-up sugar and carb addiction that MUST be dealt with before you can move forward in your weight loss.

When this happens, your body can go through some pretty radical changes for a few days which can make you feel absolutely awful, with extreme weakness and tiredness like you've never gone through before, and basically make you think you're going to die. For people like me who were VERY addicted to sugar primarily, that was my experience.

But the great part of this is that it doesn't last for more than a few days. Once you get past the addiction-breaking aspect of livin' la vida low-carb, the rest of the diet is a breeze in comparison! It always cracks me up to hear people talking about how they went on low-carb to lose weight and it was the worst week of their life. LOL! Yeah, that's a good one...worst WEEK of their life. Hee hee! HA HA! Try committing yourself to a bare minimum of six months to give low-carb a fair shake people!

Now to the more complex answer: After Induction, the carb intake will vary from person to person depending on their body. For me, I had to eat between 30-40g carbs daily to lose weight. I know others who are in ketosis and losing weight as high as 50-60g carbs. We are all different and so you will need to find the level of carbohydrates that works for you to lose weight. Of course, that number will rise even more AFTER your weight loss as you seek to maintain your loss.

To find your personal level of carbs that you need to eat daily when you are livin' la vida low-carb after Induction, slowly increase your carb intake by 5g per week until your weight loss stops. When this happens, back down 5g carbs and stay there until you reach your weight loss goal. Of course, when you hit the inevitable stall, resist the urge to lower your carbs again to try to jumpstart your weight loss. Just be patient and let your body adjust because it will.

Remember, you can contact me ANYTIME if you have a question about low-carb living or if you just need a word of encouragement as you go through this amazing lifestyle change for yourself. Don't be bashful, I'm always here for you. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

I think people need to understand some simple truths:- Pick a plan, buy the book, take the advice, and just do it!

I recommend the Atkins book for those who are action orientated.

It worked for Jimmy, it works for all of us!

Dave

7/24/2006 4:19 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I don't buy into that Invisible Blogger. I never once watched my calories during my weight loss. There will be a stall, but it will have nothing to do with the amount of carbs you eat. It's just something that you go through with ANY weight loss plan. The key is to NOT GIVE UP when this happens.

7/24/2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

60g is maintenance for me, less if I want to lose weight.

7/24/2006 11:23 PM  
Blogger TESS said...

Calories do count. My weight loss stalled for 7 months and only started again when I started counting calories as well as carbs.Very few people are lucky enough to be able to eat counting carbs only. It is the every body is different thing and if nothing else is working then individuals should be encouraged to take a look at the calories they are consuming. The objective is weight loss and whatever it takes to get there eating healthy is what you should encourage.You absolutely can't discount calories for every one.

7/26/2006 6:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, he was a little overweight. He was also a 60+ year old man who needed to carry some extra fat weight so as not to look gaunt.

I could get down to my high school weight, but would that look good on me as a 35-year-old woman? No way.

You have to look at age, not just weight and height, and unlike many people his age, he played tennis and was quite fit, so he probably had quite a bit of muscle.

7/26/2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Same here. I have to count calories or I overeat. I have an appetite much larger than my metabolism.

And hey, Dr. Phil has a diet book (it was actually pretty good - I read it), and he's definetly overweight.

It's good to see people like Drs. Mike and Mary Eades taking up the fight now that Dr. Atkins is gone. We need more doctor willing to speak the truth.

I laughed at the low-fat recommendations my doctor gave me, but how many will succumb to it and make themselves sicker without even knowing it?

7/28/2006 12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home