MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, July 03, 2006

Introducing The Donut Bacon Cheeseburger


That disgusting image is of a bacon cheeseburger between two donuts

With food insanity like a 19-pound cheeseburger entering the ever-changing world of Americana, you knew something like this CBS story was going to happen sooner or later.

A bacon cheeseburger without any bread is an excellent way to enjoy a quick meal on the go or when you are taking in a fun-filled minor league baseball game. But for fans of the Sauget, Illinois-based Gateway Grizzlies baseball team, the concession stand has taken this perfect low-carb meal and ruined it with the worst possible food you could eat on low-carb.

That's right, they put that perfectly good hamburger with cheese and bacon between two high-sugar, carb-loaded piping hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts! EWWWW! The author of the column describes this as "a heart attack waiting to happen," although if you remove the doughnut it would be perfectly fine.

If you are stupi..er, um, I mean, willing to put your health at risk to eat one of these gimmicky burgers, then be prepared to shell out $4.50 for one of these bad boys containing nearly 1,000 calories.

Do you want to know what is most pathetic about this donut bacon cheeseburger hoopla? Jeff O'Neill, a spokesman for the ballclub, said doing reckless marketing promotions like this is what they have to do to make money for the team.

“With minor league baseball we have to work extremely hard to get fans to come out here,” he said.

How about some quality baseball, Mr. O'Neill? Or a free T-shirt night? And you might even try any number of other interesting and innovative ways to drum up fan support. But making a bacon cheeseburger with two donuts as the bun?! That's borderline irreponsible in a county where two out of every three Americans are already overweight or obese because they are eating unhealthy!

Now I'm not suggesting you offer baseball fans salads or anything, but a normal cheeseburger, corn dog, popcorn and the rest of the typical fare you can get from a concession stand at the ballpark is bad enough for fans to eat. Why tempt people even more with such garbage?! This sorta reminds me of the whole deep-fried candy bar craze that has hit the past few years. YUCKY-POO!


A Snickers bar that's been battered, fried and sprinkled with sugar

Ahhh, welcome to paradoxical life in the United States in 2006. Obesity is skyrocketing and diabetes is out of control -- but, by golly, we've sure found a way to drum up business for our minor league baseball teams by serving a Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburger! AAAACK! Somebody get me a bucket because I'm about to hurl.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, that looks so good! Yes, that actually appeals to me.

If I could, it would be a perfect binge day food!

You can take the carbs away from the addict, but she's still a carb addict underneath.

7/03/2006 9:27 PM  
Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

It's pretty disheartening when you guys are in the middle of an obesity epidemic, and big corporations do this.

The reason why you guys are the fattest ation in the world (And we aren't that far behind) is because of food like this!

7/03/2006 11:26 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

Here I thought when I saw the title in my RSS reader that someone finally read my mind for a perfect low carb alternative for the donut days at the office. The running joke at my office is that one day they bring sausage donuts (sausages with the center cut out) rather than the normal carb-filled treats. Hey, what's better than the smell of sausage or bacon floating in through the office.

Now, I see it is just another nasty way for krispy kreme's to be used. Why would someone ruin perfectly good ground beef and bacon with glaze?

7/04/2006 9:09 AM  
Blogger Calianna said...

Ick, I simply can't stand sweetened meats and vegetables, and never could! Glazed ham? Ewww! And that's a fairly normal sweet-sauced meat, along with BBQ sauces (which I also can't stand) and sweet and sour sauces (sorry, the sour doesn't really negate the sweet for me, so that's another thing that makes me want to gag).

But the picture of that donut-burger really made me want to hurl...

7/04/2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger Calianna said...

When were transfats actually banned from processed foods? I seem to have missed the announcement.

Last I'd heard, the ruling was that the number of grams of transfats in an item only had to be listed in the nutritional information.

Guess I need to do a google on it.

~~~~~~~
As for the donut burger, remember this is ball-park fare, not breakfast food, so they're probably slurping it down with a beer or sugary soft drink.

Try as I might, I'm not seeing much of anything with any nutritional value at all in the McGriddle ingredients, but lots of carbs and transfats.

7/04/2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, that's it! The McGriddle. Those are wonderful, and that's why this donut burger appeals to me. :)

I actually had a McGriddle as part of a binge quite a while back (I'm usually not up early enough due to working evenings).

7/04/2006 11:36 PM  
Blogger Max Cascone said...

I'm a pretty conscientious low-carb eater, probably not as hardcore as i could be, but better than most. I find that when i do allow myself to have something like this, it tastes so much better because most of my diet is relatively bland. When i go out for sushi or chinese, it's that much better because i don't eat it all the time (although i did have a sushi... habit... a few months back). I even had a fried twinkie a few weeks back. The sugar high was pretty awesome, although i don't think i'd want another one. All i'm saying is, when you let yourself have something ridiculous every now and then, it's okay as long as you get right back on your healthy habits. And i think it makes you a happier person, too - you can't deprive yourself constantly and expect to stick to a lifestyle.
My $.02.
Max

7/07/2006 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home