MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Wikipedia Links To Popular Low-Carb Blog

If you have been on the Internet for a while, then undoubtedly you have heard of and even used the Wikipedia web site already. In fact, when I am blogging about a new term that people may not be familiar with, I often link to Wikipedia as a way to help people educate themselves better on that subject.

As one of the top 20 most visited web sites on the entire World Wide Web, Wikipedia is a donation-funded powerhouse resource for finding information on just about anything. Some of the information is suspect, but for the most part it is somewhat reliable for giving you what you need about whatever it is you are looking for.

With that said, how did they do in describing the Atkins diet?

Not too bad.

There's a great overview of the history of the Atkins diet, details about what the diet is, including the various phases, a discussion of the popularity of the diet, a mention of the criticisms people have about the diet, a recap of the positive benefits of the diet, various misconceptions about the diet, and a listing of several other books and resources for people interested in following this nutritional approach.

As someone who went on the Atkins diet and was extremely successful doing it losing 180 pounds in 2004, I was thrilled to see what I would consider a fair and balanced summary of the history of the diet. But imagine my surprise when I notice embedded within this Wikipedia listing about the Atkins Nutritional Approach a link to one of my blog posts.

I stumbled upon it under the "Misconceptions about the diet" section near the bottom of the page and was drawn to this line that looked vaguely familiar to me:

"Many people who try Atkins have reported eating more vegetables while on the plan than they ever did before, for example on an informal online low-carb blog survey.[13]."

When I read this, I immediately recalled this blog post from last year when I wrote about the results of a survey low-carb researcher Dr. Richard Feinman conducted with the Active Low-Carber forum members where most of the members reported a doubling of their vegetable consumption since they started livin' la vida low-carb.

And lo and behold, look where Wikipedia linked to with their [13] reference at the end of that sentence: the "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog! Sweet! Excellent! Whoa! Can ya tell I'm a little excited? :D

I was pleasantly surprised by this because nobody from Wikipedia approached me about including the link on their site. That's okay with me because they did provide a direct link to my blog although I wasn't the one that conducted the survey as noted on the Wikipedia listing. Dr. Feinman's research survey was ANYTHING but "informal" and he registered the honest feedback from people who are actively low-carbing.

Nevertheless, it was great to see the link and I am thankful that Wikipedia decided to list one of my blog posts on this page about the Atkins Nutritional Approach. Feel free to link to any other posts I've written, Wikipedia! If we can get the truth out there about livin' la vida low-carb, I'm all for it! :)

While we're at it, howabout a "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" listing at Wikipedia? Well, it's not there yet (but it may be coming soon)! Right, Wikipedia...pretty please with Splenda on top? (with my bottom lip poking out!) :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

The Wikipedia concept comprises of a number of great ideas which are, however, sadly not implemented in the most optimal way. The result is a enormous collection of sometimes reasonably accurate, and sometimes wildly inaccurate and even false information. Several scientists, who saw their work grossly misrepresented or seriously distorted are "at war" with Wikipedia. One of the reasons for this is that Wikipedia's "administrators" often lack sufficient in-depth comprehension regarding the topic at hand. They do, however, have (and reserve) the exclusive right to alter anything that is posted as they see fit. See the problem?

But of course I understand your enthusiasm to see this great blog -and the Atkins diet- mentioned in such a -potentially- important forum. Congratulations, Jimmy :)

8/07/2006 4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home