The amazing transformation of "The Biggest Loser" Australia winner!
Readers of my blog know how much of a fan of the hit reality show "The Biggest Loser" that I am because it brings back so many memories for me and my personal journey towards better weight and health.
Watching the contestants when they hit the ranch looking for hope regarding their weight problem, seeing the trainers teach them to move their butts to take better care of their bodies, observing the new good habits they form regarding their diet, and cheering them all on to weight loss success along the way. What an amazing show you can't help but LOVE, especially if you are a weight loss success!
Earlier this year, the wildly popular success of "The Biggest Loser" in the United States spawned a spin-off show in the land down under--Australia! With that country dealing with a huge obesity problem just like the U.S., it made sense to have a show like this help inspire a country to be fit with citizens who live there. That's exactly what it did.
"The Biggest Loser" Australia used the same format that the American version did with a few twists and turns here and there. Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels were there as the on-air trainers for the Red and Blue teams respectively. They did run into a bit of controversy from health groups who blamed the show for not teaching good nutrition and "humiliating" the obese. Puh-leeze people! Lives are being changed forever and that's the best you've got?!
That inaugural season of "The Biggest Loser" Australia catapulted one man to instant celebrity status in his own country and he has been trying to catch his breath ever since--Adro Sarnelli! A man of few words, but driven to help as many people as he can get fit and trim while improving their health, Adro is just now slowing down from the whirlwind that hit him when he was declared "The Biggest Loser" Australia winner back in April.
Adro's post-"Biggest Loser" experience trainer Ray Kelly (read my interview with him in case you missed it!) produced this amazing training video of how he helped this young man lose over 130 pounds dropping from 319 pounds down to 187.5! It truly is remarkable what Adro was able to accomplish so quickly!
Despite the demands on his newfound busy life, Adro agreed to an interview with me for my blog and I'm proud to share it with you now. Be encouraged and inspired in your own weight loss efforts by this incredible man named Adro!
1. First of all, Adro, CONGRATULATIONS on being named the very first "Biggest Loser" in Australia. How does having that title make you feel?
THANK YOU, JIMMY! TO BE QUIET HONEST HAVING THE TITLE IS PROBABLY THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT FOR ME TO DATE IN MY LIFE. IT MEANS EVERYTHING TO KNOW THAT I DID IT.
2. As someone who has gone through the process of overcoming a weight problem myself, I understand the many challenges that face those who desire to defeat obesity once and for all. What do you consider the single-biggest reason why you were so successful at weight loss?
THE SINGLE BIGGEST REASON I WAS SO SUCCECCFUL I WOULD HAVE TO SAY IS BECAUSE I HAD HEAPS OF SUPPORT, MAINLY AT THE BEGINNING WHEN YOU ARE MOST LIKELY TO WANT TO GIVE UP.
3. Please share a story about any specific moments during your weight loss when you felt like losing weight just wasn't worth it anymore and you wanted to give up. What did you do to push yourself through those times?
THERE WAS ONE TIME WHERE I HAD WORKED OUT AND DIETED HARD FOR A WEEK DURING THE TAPING OF THE BIGGEST LOSER AND I ONLY LOST 600G (that's about 1.3 pounds). THAT WAS ALL I LOST FOR A WHOLE WEEK'S WORTH OF VERY HARD WORK? THEN I REASSESSED THE SITUATION AND LOOKED INTO DIFFERENT OPTIONS FOR MY DIET AND OTHER LIFESTYLE CHANGES AND IT REALLY STARTED WORKING FOR ME. I THINK I JUST NEEDED TO REALLY TAKE CONTROL OF IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE.
4. Weight loss is as much mental as it is physical. How did you prepare yourself mentally in the beginning or during the process of losing weight to get to where you are today?
WELL, MY SITUATION WAS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THEN SETTING OUT TO NORMALLY LOSE WEIGHT. BECAUSE OF BEING ON THE SHOW, I HAD TO PUSH AND I WAS IN THE POSITION WHERE I COULDN’T REALLY GIVE UP. SO I GUESS IN THAT SENSE I WAS A LITTLE MORE SPOILED THAN MOST PEOPLE WHO TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT. BUT I THINK THE BEST PREPARATION IS TO TRY AND LOOK FORWARD AND SEE WHERE AND HOW YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU'RE DONE AND REALIZE THAT YOU CAN'T GET THERE IF YOU DON'T GET UP TODAY.
5. Having the help of professional trainers certainly can't hurt people in their weight loss efforts. Why don't you brag a little bit on your experience with your trainers and tell us specifically how they helped you better understand why exercise is so important to weight maintenance?
I COULD GO ON FOREVER ABOUT THE EFFECTS THAT BOB (Harper) AND JILLIAN (Michaels) HAD ON ME AND MY WEIGHT LOSS IN THE HOUSE AND THEN RAY (Kelly) OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE, BUT I THINK THE THREE OF THEM WERE ALL UNITED ON ONE THING AND THAT IS EDUCATION. TEACHING ME THAT BY DOING THIS I WILL ACHIEVE A CERTAIN RESULT AND MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE I KNOW THEY WERE ALL 3 GREAT TRAINERS BECAUSE WHILE WE WERE WORKING ON THE BODY THEY WERE HELPING ME SORT OUT MY HEAD AS WELL. I REALLY FEEL THAT IS WHAT WILL MAKE THIS EFFORT STAND OUT FROM THE REST.
6. As someone who lost over 180 pounds following a low-carb lifestyle and keeping it off for two years, I know this way of eating works as a permanent method for losing weight. What has your low-carb experience been like and do you think you will continue to eat this way forever?
I WILL DEFINITELY EAT THIS WAY FOREVER! I TRY AND FIND LOW-CARB SUBSTITUES FOR WHAT I CAN AND I CERTAINLY DON'T EVER EAT ANY STARCHY CARBS AFTER MID-DAY. I NOW KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT HOW I GOT AS BIG AS I DID AND I REALIZE THAT THE CARBS HAD A MAJOR NEGATIVE IMPACT ON MY LIFE BEFORE MY WEIGHT LOSS.
7. Obviously after your enormous weight loss in a short period of time, you had some excess, loose, hanging skin to contend with all over your body. I can certainly relate and hope someday to have it taken care of myself. How about you? What are you doing to deal with this very real problem for those of us who lost a lot of weight?
YES, I HAVE HEAPS OF EXCESS SKIN LEFT AFTER THE WEIGHT LOSS. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW FAST I LOST WEIGHT BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE IT NO MATTER WHAT BECAUSE I HAD IT ALL BEFORE I LOST WEIGHT AND WORSE NOW. I AM ACTUALLY GOING IN FOR SURGERY ON OCTOBER 3, 2006 TO HAVE MY FIRST OPERATION WHICH IS THE BODY LIFT. THEN I WILL GET MY ARMS, MAN BOOBS, AND THIGHS DONE ON NOVEMBER 14, 2006. MOST OF ALL, THESE SURGERIES ARE FOR ME TO HAVE CLOSURE ON THE WHOLE IDEA OF NOT BEING A FAT GUY ANYMORE.
ACTUALLY, I AM MAKING A DOCUMENTARY FILM ON THE EFFECTS OF WEIGHT AND WEIGHT LOSS WHICH I AM SELF PRODUCING AND HOPE THAT IT WILL CLEAR UP A LOT OF PEOPLE'S FEARS AND THOUGHTS ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT AND WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE WEIGHT HAS BEEN LOST. IT WILL ALSO DEAL WITH A LOT OF THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN STREAMING THROUGH MY HEAD SINCE LOSING THE WEIGHT.
8. You are now committed to helping others who struggle with weight loss and declining health find a way to rise above their problems through your new health clubs called "The New Me." What made you want to start this new business venture in your life and where do you see it taking you in the foreseeable future?
I WANTED TO HELP MORE PEOPLE WHEN I REALIZED THAT I HAD THE ABILITY TO DO IT. MY WHOLE LIFE I WAS MADE TO FEEL AND THINK THAT I WAS FAT AND COULD NEVER BE ANYTHING ELSE. THAT WAS MY RACE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO THINK OF IT THAT WAY AND NOW I HAVE SEEN THAT IT'S JUST NOT TRUE. SO I WANT TO HELP AS MANY PEOPLE REALIZE THAT IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO LOSE WEIGHT. I WANT AS MANY PEOPLE TO TO SEE THAT IS TRUE ABOUT THEMSELVES AS I CAN. THE NEW ME CENTERS WHEN THEY COME ALONG ARE GOING TO BE THE GREATEST CONCEPT IN LIFESTYLE MANAGEMENT THAT HAS EVER HIT AUSTRALIA!
9. Obesity is a problem that does not seem to be going away anytime in the near future. If Adro was in charge of the world's health and had the power to effect change in health policies, especially in regards to obesity, what would you recommend?
WOW, THAT’S A MASSSIVE QUESTION! I THINK I WOULD FIRST START WITH MAKING CLASSES IN SCHOOL THAT ARE LIFESTYLE MANAGEMENT AND NOT JUST PHYSICAL EDUCATION. WE HAVE HERE IN AUSTRALIA A VERY POOR EDUCATION SYSTEM WHEN IT COMES TO FITNESS. THEY SEEM TO THINK THAT IF THEY TAKE THE COCA-COLA OUT OF THE SCHOOLS THAT THE KIDS WILL BE BETTER OFF.
INSTEAD OF MAKING IT A CURRICULUM THAT IS STUDIED SO THAT EVERYONE KNOWS THE HOWS AND WHYS OF OBESITY, I THINK I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO START A BIGGEST LOSER-STYLED COMPETITION FOR ALL THE TOWNS THROUGH THE SCHOOLS AND GET THE GOVERNMENT TO FUND THE PROGRAM. AS MUCH AS THEY WAIT FOR THE PROBLEM TO HIT BEFORE DECIDING TO FIX IT, I REALLY THINK THEY SHOULD LOOK AT SOLVING THE PROBLEM BEFORE IT STARTS. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN TRYING TO FIND A CURE AFTER THE FACT. OH, AND I WOULD BAN ALL CIGARETTES!!!
10. Your fellow countrymen and women in Australia as well as millions of Americans are so proud of what you and the other "Biggest Loser" contestants have done to forever alter your lives for the better. Do you think shows like "The Biggest Loser" are making any difference at all in people who need to lose weight or are they just making for feel-good television?
THAT’S A TRICKY QUESTION. I THINK THE SHOW IS DEFINITELY HAVING AN AMAZING IMPACT ON PEOPLE. I GET E-MAILS ALL THE TIME FROM PEOPLE TELLING ME HOW WELL THEY HAVE DONE WITH THEIR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS BECAUSE OF THE SHOW. BUT I ALSO THINK IT IS JUST ENTERTAINMENT TO MANY PEOPLE THEN IT IS AN INSPIRATION TO GET MOTIVATED TO LOSE WEIGHT. BUT IF WE CAN JUST CHIP AWAY AT THE OBESITY PROBLEM ONE PERSON AT A TIME, THEN IT WILL WORK.
11. While your weight loss is still relatively new and you are probably still getting used to the skinny Adro (trust me, it takes a while to adjust to NOT being fat!), can you share any words of wisdom with my readers who are desperate and searching for a way to slay the obesity monster in their life?
HERE IS SOMETHING I LIKE TO SAY, IF YOU COULD TASTE THE SWEET TASTE OF SUCCESS FOR JUST ONE SECOND; THEN I GURANTEE YOU THAT YOU WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO GET IT FOR YOURSELF.
THANK YOU, Adro, and CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss success. Even more importantly, I am so proud to know that someone else who felt hopeless about their obesity is now out there challenging and encouraging others to get healthy, too! Be sure to keep up with what Adro Sarnelli is doing by visiting his web site at AdroHealth.com.