MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, January 22, 2007

Think Of Me Turning 34 Today


A message from a fetus on the 34th anniversary of Roe v. Wade

Dear friend,

This week I turn 34.

It's hard to believe. How time flies. January 22, 1973 seems like so long ago. I'm the oldest in my family. It's a pretty big family, but I'll explain that later.

If you're a baby boomer, you probably don't think much of my generation--Generation X. But that's because we're a threat to you! My generation is changing the world! Just think of all that has happened in the world these past 30 years...

The end of Vietnam. Watergate. Jimmy Carter. Actually, I don't remember much from the 70s, since I was just entering elementary school when Ronald Reagan became president.

I loved the 80s. That's when I grew up, but I had no idea just how much the world was changing.

Then, the Berlin Wall fell. I'll never forget that day in November 1989. I was 16 and on top of the world. I can remember my history teacher telling me that the world would never be the same. He was right.

Then, something even more dramatic developed. The Internet. If you want to understand me and my generation, then go online--MySpace, YouTube, and blogs are where you'll see me hanging out.

When I was in college, a few of my friends saw it coming. We helped start a revolution online. And don't believe it when they say the Internet bubble has burst. The only thing that has burst is the old way of doing business.

Now there are no boundaries for people like me. The sky is truly the limit! I got married three years ago to a beautiful and loving woman, and we're expecting our first child in three months. A new generation begins...

Yes, life is good. Except for one problem.

You see, I wasn't actually born on January 22, 1973. In fact, I wasn't born at all. I never was given the chance to take even that first breath--nevermind the 432 million breaths that would have followed over these 34 years.

Not a single breath.

That's because of something else that happened on January 22, 1973.

Seven justices made a decision that would dramatically affect my life--and the lives of 40 million others who would never take a breath.

That's my family. And it's growing every day. In fact, in the next 24 hours the family of abortion victims will grow by about as many people who died when the World Trade Center buildings collapsed on September 11, 2001.

The 9-11 cleanup concluded after nearly a year, but our cleanup--the one from 1-22 continues.

And to think it was all based on a lie. Jane "Roe" of Roe v. Wade was lied to. And so were you--if you believed even for a moment that the mass of tissue wasn't a human life.

That mass of tissue was me!

My goal here isn't to make you feel guilty. Rather, think of me--or what could have been me--the next time the topic of abortion comes up.

Think of me graduating from high school and going to college. Think of me getting married and having children. Think of me celebrating my birthday on 1-22 with family and friends.

Think of me turning 34.

Signed,

An aborted fetus

This post is dedicated to those millions of precious gifts from God who were never given a chance to experience the joy of living life as you and I have. May their souls rest in the loving arms of God forever and ever.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Awesome post!

1/22/2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger ETTC said...

I've been reading your post everyday about low carb and today I'm wondering what the aborted fetus post has to do with low carb.

Only a woman knows the fear and panic associated with a pregnancy without marriage, or a result of a rape, or other extenuating circumstance. And only the pregnant woman feels the rush of wind when the man flees the scene.

I know this is your blog and what you post is your business.

Good luck to you and your blog I'm sorry I have to leave.

1/22/2007 7:21 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Hey ettc, I'm sorry to hear you took offense to this post today. As you acknowledged in your comments, this is indeed my blog and as a result I do have the option of writing about WHATEVER is on my mind. Nobody ever said this blog is exclusively about low-carb...I sometimes throw in a non-nutrition subject here and there.

Again, this blog is about me. And I could not let this day pass without publishing something very near and dear to my heart about something that happened 34 years ago that was a tragic day in the history of our nation.

I make no apologies for how I feel and I fully understand there are many facets that people like to bring up when they discuss this issue. Nevertheless, I will not get into a debate about this because we each believe what we do.

I'm sorry to see you leave, but it's your loss in the end. The overwhelming number of posts I have written here are low-carb/weight loss-related, so it is quite childish to throw a temper tantrum just because you didn't like the message of ONE post that you happened to disagree with.

THANKS for all of your excellent comments in the past. I'll miss your contributions, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Keep on livin' la vida low-carb, my friend.

1/22/2007 7:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa E said...

Thanks for posting this Jimmy. I know what it is like to have views of a political nature that most of my co-workers and some of my family disagree with. I have found that a lot of people believe in our first ammendment rights as long as what is being written/said doesn't offend them. One of the things that is so great about our nation is that we are free to believe what we want to believe. For someone to no longer read your blog because they disagree with a pro-life belief that you have, in my opinion, is downright childish. God bless you, Jimmy.

1/22/2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger BillyHW said...

Only a woman knows the fear and panic associated with a pregnancy without marriage, or a result of a rape, or other extenuating circumstance. And only the pregnant woman feels the rush of wind when the man flees the scene.

And only a woman knows the pain and regret and suffering that comes with abortion. And that lasts a lifetime.

Great post Jimmy. Let's pray that one day the unborn will once again have the protection of the law, and the love of all their mothers and fathers.

1/22/2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Hmm. I agree Jimmy that this is your blog and you never claimed it was strictly about low-carb. That said, a post like this is a significant turn-off to a number of potential readers who could benefit from your message but who will simply close the window because of a rant such as this. I'm pretty sure you're aware of that and write according to your conscience. To be honest, I would too.

I'm not going anywhere and I don't want to lessen the impact of the effort you put in with regards to health blogging. I'd like to note, however, that I send the link to your blog to friends with a caveat that your political views show through more often than you think they do. I know you believe that this is a welcoming place for everyone who is interested in improving their health but posts like this show that is not, in reality, the case.

1/23/2007 9:23 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS for your comments, Anne. But I wouldn't label what I wrote in this post as a "rant."

Instead, it was a creative way to share my heart as I always do at this blog. If it turns people off, then that is something I can't control. They'll get over it!

I never hide the fact that I am conservative politically and that I am a Christian man who believes in God. Concealing either of these from my readers would be doing a disservice to them as I have been nothing but an open book with all that I do at my blog.

With that said, I appreciate your concerns about damaging the message of livin' la vida low-carb with posts like this. Even still, I cannot and will not change just for the sake of appeasing those I may offend. That's not being authentic.

If you haven't noticed, I'm not very politically correct, even when it comes to health blogging. Just because I may espouse views that everyone won't agree on doesn't mean I should change.

This blog would no longer be Jimmy Moore's blog, but some faceless populist blogger that nobody will know or respect. I am who I am, so people must take it or leave it.

Again, THANK YOU for sharing your comments with me about how I run my blog. But the way I see it is people can make a choice to read or not read whatever it is that I write here. Nobody is compelling them to stay.

Yes, I am grateful for the large readership base at my blog, but that's because I have been unafraid to say what is on my mind regardless of what my readers may think.

That's one thing that will NEVER change about "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb." You can count on it!

1/23/2007 9:38 PM  
Blogger MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Truth be told, I find abortion very sad myself and I have a difficult time understanding why people would make that decision. BUT, I have never been put in that position AND NEITHER HAVE YOU. I may not agree with it, but I would never argue against a law that is keeping young women from having "back ally abortions". Making abortion illegal is NOT going to stop someone from terminating a pregnancy. If she is really that desperate, she's going to do it no matter what. If making abortion illegal would really prevent it, I might be with you on this one but in reality, you are just coming off as ignorant.

2/21/2007 1:11 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS for your comments, Angela. This is not the forum for debating the pros and cons of abortion. All I did was present a different perspective to get people to think about this issue from the human perspective. I'm glad that's what it did for you. :) Have a great day!

2/21/2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger Lillie Ammann said...

I linked to this message in 2007 and have linked to it again on the 36th anniversary of Roe v Wade. Thank you for writing this powerful testimony to the tragedy of abortion.

1/22/2009 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home