MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, May 10, 2007

With Z-Carb Low-Carb Chocolate Bars Gone, ChocoPerfection Stepped In To Fill The Void


What ever happened to the Z-Carb low-carb chocolate bars?

With a noticeable increase in the sales of my debut book Livin' La Vida Low-Carb: My Journey From Flabby Fat To Sensationally Skinny In One Year in 2007, I'm beginning to receive a lot of e-mails from some people who want to know where they can find certain products I wrote about in my book.

One of the most common questions I get is about a chocolate bar product called Z-Carb. When I was losing my weight in 2004, a co-worker of mine who was livin' la vida low-carb introduced me to these delicious sugar-free low-carb bars made with erythritol and Splenda. What a find this was and I was immediately hooked!

With only negligible carb counts (less than a half gram of carbohydrate per serving), these chocolate bars which came in flavors like peanut butter, crisps, and almonds were a lifesaver for my sweet tooth while losing weight. I sometimes ate as much as a POUND of this stuff a day! Yep, a POUND! Mmmmm.

I first mentioned how chocolate can be a part of your low-carb lifestyle two years ago at my blog. With all the health benefits of eating chocolate--especially dark chocolate (see Kate Welch's outstanding blog post on this topic this week)--I enjoyed making Z-Carb bars a key part of improving my health.

Unfortunately, as has happened many times over the past few years, some of my favorite low-carb foods have been discontinued and gone out of business. That's economics for you, like it or not. But it really stinks when this happens because you get used to having certain products in your low-carb lifestyle to help you along.

Although I spent hundreds of dollars on Z-Carb bars which were readily available in Wal-Mart, the corner convenience store, the drug store chains...EVERYWHERE!...they couldn't make enough money to keep manufacturing them. They had to bring Z-Carb bars to an end in the Fall of 2005 right about the same time my book was being published. Bummer.

So what do you do?

Well, I could have thrown a hissy fit and gone around grumbling about how unfair life is now that Z-Carb bars are gone. Instead, I went out and found something to take its place because I had to have my dark chocolate. I wanted to find an alternative that tasted as good or better than the Z-Carb bars, made with erythritol and NO maltitol, and low enough in carbs to eat on a regular basis.

Thanks to low-carb retailers Michael and Marilyn Kirtley from Low-Carb Central in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I was there for a book signing in January 2006), they introduced me to what would become my new favorite low-carb chocolate bar that quite literally blew me away by how incredible they were.


After tasting ChocoPerfection bars, I said, "Z-Carb who?"

Fellow blogger "Melting Mama" Beth Badore agrees with me that ChocoPerfection low-carb chocolate bars are the bomb, baby! Plus, they're high in fiber and contain absolutely ZERO maltitol. Yeah! No nuclear bombs in my tummy!

That's so rare these days, so we need to support those companies who get it. Read my interview with company founder and president Mary Jo Kringas, a low-carb weight loss success story who lost lots of weight eating at least two ChocoPerfection bars a day (and still does!). Amazing!

Nowadays, I couldn't go very long at all without having my ChocoPerfection fix. Melted, broken and sprinkled, or straight out of the package, this chocolate will hit the spot. Although Z-Carb bars are no longer available and completely gone from store shelves now, ChocoPerfection stepped in to fill the void.

Now, ChocoPerfection better not go anywhere! :D

If you'd like to see products like ChocoPerfection bars in stores like Wal-Mart, grocery stores, drug stores, and convenience stores, then recommend it to your local store and write their corporate office an e-mail. If they hear enough people requesting a product, then they may bring it in.

THANKS to everyone who e-mailed me about Z-Carb bars. Hopefully this answers your questions about why you can't find them anymore despite my glowing comments about them in my book. Welcome to one of the challenges of livin' la vida low-carb.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Dungan said...

I agree. These are by far the best tasting low-carb chocolate bars I have ever had. My kids liked them better than the full-sugar kind!

And the customer service from this company cannot be beat!

5/11/2007 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home