MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Captain D's Now Has Low-Carb Menu Items


Captain D's steps up their menu to serve the low-carb consumer

When the most popular low-carb friendly restaurant chain Ruby Tuesday decided to get rid of their famous low-carb cheesecake in May 2006 followed just a couple of months later by scrubbing their entire low-carb menu for good, I put out a public challenge to the restaurant industry.

"This leaves the door wide open to another restaurant to step it up and cater to the growing obese and diabetic population. If you make the menu attractive enough to people and still keep the items healthy, then it very well could work. Who's it gonna be? Anyone? The millions of us who are livin' la vida low-carb are waiting...patiently...anyone?"

Applebee's has tried but they are too afraid (of what?!) to call it a low-carb menu item while my former favorite fast food place Subway went the other direction earlier this year when they REMOVED the low-carb wraps from their menu. Idiots!

Then you've got places like the Olive Garden serving a "no sugar added" dessert to diabetics that contains GOBS of sugar and nearly 70g carbohydrates! EEEEK!

Well, despite these futile attempts by other well-known restaurant chains, I was pleased to share with you recently about Cracker Barrel and their "Low-Carb Offerings" menu which is perfect for low-carbers. Now I have another restaurant chain to add to the small, but growing list of courageous companies willing to offer people who are livin' la vida low-carb some healthy low-carb alternatives--the Nashville, TN-based Captain D's.

When I was growing up, I just LOVED it when momma brought home Captain D's for dinner. Of course, it was the fried fish and hush puppies that I remember the most with that unmistakable aroma that filled the whole house. Ah, those were the days!

But those things are much too high in carbs for my low-carb lifestyle now which is why I was happy to hear they offer what they call a "Carb Counter Meal" that comes straight from the grill.

Their web site boasts of their new low-carb offerings:

"Counting carbs? Choose baked fish or chicken meals with a variety of low carb side items to customize your meal."

How about that? But are those sides indeed "low-carb?" Let's see!


The Carb Counter Fish meal on the menu at Captain D's

First up, they have a Carb Counter Fish meal that is served with fresh steamed broccoli (low-carb), mixed vegetables (pretty low-carb even with the carrots) and a crisp side salad (with Ranch dressing keeps it low-carb). If you pick out the carrots in the mixed veggies, this meal is only about 5-6g carbs. EXCELLENT CHOICE!


The Carb Counter Chicken meal gives another low-carb option

The other low-carb alternative is the Carb Counter Chicken meal that is also served with fresh steamed broccoli, mixed vegetables and a crisp side salad. Again, if you remove the carrots, then you should keep your carb intake to below 6g carbs. Sweet!

So there you go! Another major American restaurant chain has joined in with Cracker Barrel and decided that people who are on low-carb diets are important enough to provide specific menu items for their dietary preference.

Sure, most places will bend their menu with substitutions, but you gotta respect a company like Captain D's for being unafraid to specifically address a real need--low-carb options for the discriminating low-carb consumer base!

The only problem is Captain D's is not as widespread as Cracker Barrel. In fact, I don't even have one close to my home (the nearest one is 50 miles away!), but I will certainly seek it out specifically when I am traveling. If a company is willing to cater to my needs, then the least I can do is give them my business.

I encourage you to frequent Captain D's as well and let them know how much you appreciate their Carb Counter meals by leaving them feedback about it. I know they will appreciate hearing from those of us who are livin' la vida low-carb, so let's validate their decision to create this special menu for us by sharing our positive feedback about it! THANKS everyone!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Captain D's....but, I cannot go there and NOT order the deep fried dill pickles! I've tried...it's just too tempting. Ha!

6/10/2007 9:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Captain D's is updating it's menu - to provide you MORE healthy options. In early September 2007, we will broaden our line of healthy entrees to include Tilapia, Salmon, Flounder, Mahi Mahi and Marinated Chicken breasts. You can chose to add your choice of sauce - or enjoy it with just our grilled seasoning. And you can chose the sides, ranging from mixed vegetables to steamed broccoli and sliced tomatoes. Options will vary by restaurants. You can visit our website at http://nutrition.captainds.com/ for complete details. If you're watching your calories or your carbs or your fat, complete details are available to help you make a healthy decision. We hope you visit one of our restaurants. We love to hear what you think through http://www.captainds.com/files/talktous.aspx. Thanks! -- Sandy Smith, VP Marketing, Captain D's

8/28/2007 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just visited Captain D's in NC. I ordered the broiled fish platter. I made it clear that I wanted a low carb meal, no bread, no sugars. I guess I should carry a list with me of all the prohibited ingredients because they gave me a plain baked potato and put my small piece of fish on a bed of rice. What a disappointment for $6.39.

3/11/2009 9:53 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Sorry to hear that, Marisa! But you really need to tell them EXACTLY what you want. They don't know what "low-carb" means.

3/12/2009 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home