MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Steve Dyar Was A Big Man With A Bigger Heart For God

I will be the first to admit that I don't always understand why God allows bad things to happen to good people, although I know that He promises to "work all things together for the good to those who love Him and are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28) I honestly believe that in my heart to be true even when it hits hard personally.

Such is the case with my friend and former minister of music Rev. Steve Dyar. I previoulsy told you about this big man with the bigger heart for God when he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in December 2006. Steve and his beautiful wife Susan had felt the calling to go into full-time music evangelism and were in the process of touring around to various churches.

Then it happened--CANCER!

When the cancer hit, everything was put on hold as they went through the emotional rollercoaster ride that experience brings. The radiation treatments lasted for several months up until a few weeks ago and yet Steve was still having trouble breathing and swallowing. This really tall guy was melting away to nothing when he surprised our church choir at Easter to sing a song in our musical program. It was a real miracle!

Little did we know, though, that would be the last time we would ever see Steve sing.

On Friday afternoon, my friend Steve Dyar went home to be with that God of wonders he sang so beautifully about for most of his life. It was described as a peaceful passing and he was not in any pain when it happened. I couldn't help but think of a song that Steve used to sing with our choir when he was the music pastor at our church when I heard he was gone.

It's that song "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe. With that booming baritone voice, I can hear him singing it now:

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side

I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When that day comes
And I find myself
Standing in the Son

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you


Today Steve is at the beginning of forever worshipping that Jesus he loved and adored in his time here on Earth. He has a new body that is free of the pain of cancer he has endured these past few months and now is "standing in the Son." I rejoice in knowing that he is now home and will live eternally with Jesus walking those streets of gold in heaven.

I am so privileged to have been able to cross paths with this incredible man of God with a faith unlike anyone else I have ever known. This was a man after God's own heart and I am a better person today because of the example he was to me as a man. I will NEVER EVER forget what I gleaned from this big man with the bigger heart for God because he taught me more about servant leadership and Christ-like love than anyone else I've ever known.

To his wife Susan and their two handsome grown sons Stephen and Sterling, I want to express my heartfelt sympathy and love for you. That man you called husband and dad made a real difference in both my life and well as in the life of my wife Christine. We give God the glory and the honor for allowing us to know you and share a few years of our lives together.

Be sure to save a seat in heaven for us, Steve! We know we're gonna see you again someday and what a day that will be! We love you and will miss you greatly. Praise God from whom all blessings flow--and YOU were a blessing to me!

One of Steve's favorite praise songs was "Blessed Be The Name" by Matt Redman:

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name


This song defined the life of an amazing man who chose to bless God to the very end. Even "when the darkness closed in" on him in 2007, still he boldly cried out "Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord!" I only hope to have that same kind of faith if I ever face a trial as great as Steve did.

With this, I say goodbye for now, Steve Dyar! I hope to become even half the man that you were in your life and I commit to live the rest of my life in such a way that brings praise, honor, and glory to the Lord God Almighty. Rest in peace for all of eternity, my friend. I'll see you one day when the good Lord decides it is time for me to come home, too.

Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cormier said...

Hi Jimmy - Please accept my deepest condolences on the passing of your friend. "I Can Only Imagine" is a very nice song. I had never heard it before Kalan Porter - the winner of Canadian Idol 2004 - sang it on the final show. (He ended up winning.) If you'd like to post the video as a tribute to Steve, you find the embedding code at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI4NRlFQSB8 . Again, please accept my deepest condolences.

7/22/2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

Jimmy and Christine,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a very special person indeed. May God comfort you both, his family, and others who loved him, as only God can, through this trying time. You are all in our prayers.

7/22/2007 9:31 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Sparky's Girl! Steve most certainly was special and we will miss him sorely. But we'll have a nice welcome when we get to heaven. :)

It was GREAT meeting you and your family yesterday at Ryan's in St. Louis! THANK YOU for coming out and I hope to see you guys again soon. Tell your husband I'll be ready to go golfing with him the next time we're in town. ;)

7/22/2007 10:36 PM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

My heartfelt condolences with the passing of your friend, Jimmy and Christine. At least he's in a much better world now.

7/23/2007 6:43 AM  
Blogger BLW said...

It is better for God to pull the plug on Dyar than continue to have him live on this cursed planet (if he is chosen by God to go to heaven).

By the way, one can't enter heaven by just be a 'good' person (by your works)(see Ephesians 2:8-9). The laughable statement about "why God allows bad things to happen to good people", people doesn't realize that once you sin, you are cut-off from God and these things are thy byproduct of sin.

God can do whatever he wants with HIS creation.

7/23/2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

Warning: Relious discussion ahead. If this offends you, stop reading here.

BW, I mean no disrespect, but dont't you think your comment is a bit harsh? Would you say that to someones face while they are mourning the loss of a friend? Jimmy knows you don't get to Heaven by works, or just because you are a "good" person. Even Job, who was upright in God's eyes, asked why? He didn't understand it. He didn't blame God, but he didn't understand it either. It rains on the just and the unjust. That's a fact caused by the fall. Knowing God has the right to "do whatever He wants with HIS creation" doesn't make it hurt any less. But knowing that God does all things for His glory and our benefit (because He loves us) goes a long way to help in the healing process.

You said "if he's chosen by God to go to heaven". Are you saying we can only go if God choses us and that our decisions don't matter? God wants us all in Heaven. WE make that choice by choosing Jesus, repenting, forsaking our sins, and doing our best to live the way God intended us to.

If I've misunderstood the "tone" of your post, I apologize. But your comment has me somewhat baffled.

7/23/2007 7:50 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

This was submitted by a dear reader:

Dear Jimmy & Christine,

Your beautiful tribute to your dear friend Steve Dyar touched a note in my heart. It is so clear from your words how deeply you both loved him, and how much he meant to you during his life here on Earth.

I am reminded of a song by one of my most beloved folk song heroes of the 1970's- Phil Ochs. You may not be familiar with the music, but the words speak volumes, and in the despair of the loss of a dear loved one, remind me of the value of pushing on in the face of our own sorrow.

Artist/Band: Ochs Phil
Lyrics for Song: When I'm Gone
Lyrics for Album: There But for Fortune

"There's no place in this world where I'll belong when I'm gone
And I won't know the right from the wrong when I'm gone
And you won't find me singin' on this song when I'm gone
So I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here.

And I won't feel the flowing of the time when I'm gone
All the pleasures of love will not be mine when I'm gone
My pen won't pour out a lyric line when I'm gone
So I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here.

And I won't breathe the bracing air when I'm gone
And I can't even worry 'bout my cares when I'm gone
Won't be asked to do my share when I'm gone
So I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here.

And I won't be running from the rain when I'm gone
And I can't even suffer from the pain when I'm gone
Can't say who's to praise and who's to blame when I'm gone
So I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here.

Won't see the golden of the sun when I'm gone
And the evenings and the mornings will be one when I'm gone
Can't be singing louder than the guns when I'm gone
So I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here.

All my days won't be dances of delight when I'm gone
And the sands will be shifting from my sight when I'm gone
Can't add my name into the fight while I'm gone
So I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here.

And I won't be laughing at the lies when I'm gone
And I can't question how or when or why when I'm gone
Can't live proud enough to die when I'm gone
So I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here."

7/24/2007 12:55 AM  
Blogger BLW said...

Sparky's Girl: "Are you saying we can only go [to Heaven] if God choses us and that our decisions don't matter? God wants us all in Heaven. WE make that choice..."

That's right. We DON'T make that choice, it is GOD'S (John 15:16). He has predestined your path long before you were born. Remember God is in control of EVERYTHING, so its up to us to have trust in him and not in ourselves. Once we put trust in ourselves, we cut ourselves off from God.

7/24/2007 1:02 PM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

BW: Did you read the verses surrounding that verse? My husband is an ordanied minister. "John 15:16 - Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you." This is Jesus speaking to his disciples. God only can ordain a man or women and give them a fruitful ministry. We have a JUST God who would not create someone just to destin them to eternity in Hell. The angels themselves were chosen and fell. It is OUR choice. God loves us and wants us with HIM. John 3:16 " For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." Enough said.

7/24/2007 3:39 PM  
Blogger BLW said...

Sparky's Girl: Without God choosing you to be saved, you would never believe in John 3:16. In fact, go to http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8449/election.html. This will best explain it to you. I guess your so-called "ordained" husband left this out.

I will be waiting for your reply.

7/24/2007 7:47 PM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

No thanks. I have my Bible to refer to when I need answers. I'll just stick with it and pray if I question something. This I have no doubts about. Have a nice day.

7/24/2007 8:30 PM  
Blogger BLW said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/25/2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger BLW said...

Sparky's Girl, I think you are asking the WRONG questions.

And yes, God will create someone who will never be saved (straight to hell).

We are born dead in sin, so we would always reject Christ. How can a person repent their sins if they love it? How can they come to God when they hate him?

Therefore we see that if God left salvation up to us, we would all reject Him. If He did not predestine, no one would be saved because no one would believe. God can bring to faith anyone he wants and at anytime.

All of this with scriptures are backed up in the previous link (above).

Since you've sinned, God will let you continue in it. God will even give you a powerful delusion so you will believe the lie (2 Thessalonians 2:11). So, if you think you are really saved or considered yourself blessed, you just might be cursed!

Maybe you and your so-called "ordained" husband minister should rethink to yourselves that you might not be saved after all and repent your sins to God. After all, you are in sin if you believe that YOU choose God (to be saved) and not the other way around.

Are you going to tell me next that we are in control of our own destiny?

Doubting now?

7/27/2007 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home