Cool off during the dog days of summer with this yummy low-carb treat!
Who among us doesn't remember the days when we'd take two cookies and smash our favorite flavor of ice cream in the middle to eat when the temperatures outside were blistering like they are right now? Yep, we sure did and it was a great way to cool off. Unfortunately, it wasn't so good on the waistline.
Nowadays, we're eating better than we used to because we're livin' la vida low-carb (RIGHT?!) and we're shunning the sugar in our diet, too (RIGHT?!). Because of that, I'm happy to share an absolutely amazing low-carb chocolate chip-macadamia nut ice cream sandwiches recipe compliments of our friends at Low-Carb Connoisseur.
LOW-CARB CHOCOLATE CHIP-MACADAMIA NUT ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
1 (8-ounce) package Big Train Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
1 Stick butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
MACADAMIA NUT ICE CREAM
3 cups heavy cream
2 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup NOW Xylitol sugar substitute
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Singing Dog Organic vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup coarsely chopped Mac Farms macadamia nuts
1. For the cookies: Mix according to package directions, adding the butter and egg. Portion the dough to make 20 cookies. Bake and cool following the package directions; set aside.
2. For the macadamia nut ice cream: Pour heavy cream into a heavy-bottomed 3-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a low boil, stirring often so the cream does not boil over. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, place eggs, egg yolks, sugar substitute and salt. Using either a hand mixer or a whisk, beat together until thickened and smooth.
4. Using a ladle, remove about a cup of the hot cream from saucepan and gradually whisk into egg mixture (this tempers the eggs so they wont curdle). Whisking, pour tempered egg mixture into remaining cream in saucepan.
Place over medium heat and whisk until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into a clean bowl, whisk in vanilla and almond extracts; let stand until custard is completely cooled to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours. Refrigerate 2 hours, until well chilled, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
5. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. Add chopped macadamia nuts 15 minutes before freezing process is complete.
6. To assemble sandwiches: Arrange 10 cookies, top side down, on work surface. Using an ice cream scoop, working quickly, place 1/4 cup ice cream on each cookie. Top each with another cookie, bottom side down. Wrap each sandwich well in plastic wrap and place in freezer. Freeze at least 4 hours (ice cream will be soft) or overnight (for firmer sandwiches). Can be stored in the freezer up to 1 month.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 25 minutes
Total Carbohydrates: 20g
Net Carbs: 15g