MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Accidental Low-Carb 'Magic Shell' Topping Recipe


Looky what I was able to make with just two simple ingredients

The thing I like about being an experimental kitchen wizard is coming across an exciting new low-carb twist on an old favorite. For all you recipe nuts out there, you know what I'm talking about. Try, try as you may, you work hard to find some low-carb alternatives to your favorite high-carb foods (my friend Judy Barnes Baker who wrote the CARB WARS: Sugar Is The New Fat cookbook is an absolute WHIZ at this!).

Well, lightning struck at the Moore household last night when I came up with one heckuva ice cream topping that quite frankly I have missed since I started livin' la vida low-carb four years ago. I enjoy eating my CarbSmart ice cream, but have wished I could have that "Magic Shell" stuff from Dairy Queen on top for a chocolaty coating.

Thanks to my accidental discovery, NOW I CAN!!!



By PURE LUCK I was melting a ChocoPerfection bar in the microwave and usually put a little bit of water in the bowl to prevent the chocolate from burning. Well, I opened up my refrigerator to pull out a chilled ChocoPerfection bar when I looked over and saw my Nutiva brand organic extra virgin coconut oil. Hmmmm, I wonder what THAT would taste like mixed with the chocolate?

So, I pulled it out and scooped a tablespoon of coconut oil into the bowl with the broken up pieces of ChocoPerfection. I microwaved it for about 30-45 seconds, pulled it out and stirred it up a bit (with the coconut oil already melting), and then put it back in for another 30-45 seconds, stirring again and repeating until a smooth mixture.



At first, I was kinda miffed that the chocolate was so runny. But I wasn't gonna waste the chocolate and not use it, so I decided to pour it on top of my CarbSmart ice cream. Christine wanted some, too, so I poured some on top of hers. I handed the bowl to her and walked back into the kitchen to finish mine when I heard a screech come out of her mouth.

"Where did you get the 'Magic Shell' and is this low-carb?" Christine inquired. Not knowing what she was talking about, I said, "Huh?" She said the chocolate coating on the ice cream was hard like the stuff you get from Dairy Queen. So I pushed my finger against the "shell" on my ice cream and she was RIGHT!

COOL!



Unbeknownst to me, I had created a low-carb version of "Magic Shell." I can't tell you how many times I wish I had this stuff since my low-carb lifestyle began in 2004. But now I can have it again with my ice cream when I decide to have a nice low-carb treat every now and then. Sweeeeeeeet!

And all you need is two ingredients: ChocoPerfection bars and coconut oil! ENJOY!

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's a lot of ice cream for one serving.

9/16/2007 9:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG Jimmy - that sounds unbelievable! I'm gettin' some of those bars, and I'll find that ice cream and coconut oil TODAY! thanks as usual for your great info.

-Kelly aka soon2bslim

9/16/2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

It's sooo good, too, Kelly! ENJOY!

THANKS Mark! Gotta have enough for my wife Christine so she can enjoy it, too! :D

9/16/2007 12:20 PM  
Blogger Mariah said...

hi Jimmy! YUM! Great discovery you made!! I love coconut oil & hadn't thought of making magic shell with it!! I just made some and put in on the homemade protein ice cream that I just made! Steve loved it too! I'll post the ice cream recipe on your message board if it's not there already!! :) Talk to you later! -Mariah

9/20/2007 9:52 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I LOVE it, too, Mariah and would adore seeing your homemade ice cream recipe at my forum. THANKS! Hope you and Steve are doing well. Christine and I are gonna make it down your way one of these days. :D

9/20/2007 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home