MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cleochatra's Amazing Low-Carb 'Oopsie Rolls' Recipe Is To Die For


Nope, this ain't no Egg McMuffin. It's an Oopsie--seriously!

Some of the best food creations to come out of my kitchen have happened almost by accident. Just when you think you've totally messed up the perfect recipe and you're kicking yourself for not following it by the letter, along comes a pleasant surprise to totally blow you away. Of course, you really MEANT to do that, right? *wink wink*

Remember this low-carb "magic shell" recipe that sorta fell in my lap last Fall. I couldn't believe it when I saw it because all I was trying to do was come up with a nice chocolate syrup sauce for my low-carb ice cream. But lo and behold, looky what happened when I poured it on top of my ice cream--a sweet, delicious hardened topping just like that magic shell stuff. OH MY GOSH!!! What an amazing find that was--despite it being an "oops."

Well, today I have another "oops" recipe for you from a wonderful low-carb blogger I told you about on Monday (see #12 under this post) named Cleochatra who runs the fantabulous blog called "The Lighter Side Of Low-Carb." If you haven't already bookmarked this blog, then DO IT NOW! She is one incredibly funny and entertaining writer and a pretty awesome low-carb cook, too, if you like recipes (and who doesn't?!).

But even the best sometimes experience the trials and tribulations that hit our inner Paula Deen where we're a whole lot close to Paula Abdul instead! Ah, but never fear because fate always has a way of turning that lemon into lemonade and the birth of a new and exciting recipe awaits. Or, something like that.

In the case of Cleochatra, that lemon would be the appropriately named "Oopsie Rolls." It's obvious why she named them this because they were supposed to be one thing and ended up another. But the flexibility of these oh-so-yummy low-carb bread roll thingys is quite evident in a series of recipes I'll share in just a moment. First, let me show you this neat little recipe compliments of Cleochatra.

CLEOCHATRA'S BEST EVER REVOL-OOPSIE ROLLS

3 large eggs
1 packet of Splenda
A dash of salt
A pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!


Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture).

Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake for about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool.

Storage and freezing:

I store them in a Ziplock bag with the bag open partially (this way they breathe and don't get too moist) and keep them in the fridge after the first day. Then, when you want to use them, take them out and set them on the counter for 15-30 minutes or until they are room temperature. This makes them more "dry" and less sticky.

As for freezing, I tried freezing and they do freeze. This time you want to close the Ziplock when storing (I only store two per bag). To thaw, let them rest on the counter until room temperature in the bag with the bag open. When they're close to room temperature, set them outside of the bag so that they can "dry" out slightly for use.

Makes 6 "Oopsie Rolls"
Calories 85 each
Carbs Less than 1g each (WOWee!!!)

So there you have it--the world-famous "Oopsie Rolls" (not to be confused with the high-carb copycat candy known as Tootsie Rolls). Oopsie mania is sweeping the nation now, so do you wanna see some fabulous recipes using the "Oopsie Roll" as the centerpiece? SURE YOU DO! Check these out:

  • Oopsie French Toast
  • Oopsie Waffles
  • Oopsie BLT and Pizzas
  • Oopsie Gourmet Valentine Pizza
  • Oopsie Panini
  • Oopsie Pita with Lamb Gyro with Tzatziki
  • Chocolate Almond Oopsies
  • Oopsie Almost Tiramisu
  • Oopsie Birthday Cake
  • Oopsie Boston Cream Napoleon
  • Oopsie Chocolate Eclaire Cake
  • Oopsie Cream Puffs
  • Oopsie Pizzelles and Canoli

    Think you can come up with an "Oopsie" recipe to add to Cleochatra's collection? Post it in the comments section below and Cleo might just share your recipe with her readers at her blog in the very near future. "Oopsie" mania is running wild! AAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!

    Labels: , , , , , ,

  • 7 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    these things are cool... I'm on my third batch already!

    I don't bother with the cream of tartar, my mixer whups up the eggs just fine without it. btw, I finally have a reason to keep this big giant space hogging mixer I inherited - I didn't think I'd ever use the damn thing. I wouldn't want to try this recipe without it.

    3/21/2008 9:19 AM  
    Blogger Amy Dungan said...

    I love this recipe! I used it a couple of weeks ago as hamburger buns and they were fantastic!

    3/21/2008 12:21 PM  
    Blogger Taraneh said...

    Cleochatra is a sweetie, and don't forget her recipes for cauliflower or zuchinni pizza crust - it's GOOD!

    3/21/2008 11:31 PM  
    Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

    I highlighted the cauliflower recipes on Monday.

    3/22/2008 12:20 AM  
    Blogger Jamie said...

    Thank you so much for your kind words! I am very blessed to have so many wonderful friends in the low-carb community.

    4/11/2008 12:41 AM  
    Blogger todd said...

    Hey! I have a question. Is there anything I can use instead of cream cheese? I am allergic to dairy products. I can use this egg replacer stuff in place of the eggs, but I don't know what I could put in instead of cream cheese!

    Thanks!!

    12/02/2008 5:20 PM  
    Blogger Delilah said...

    I need help mines or coming out flat..

    1/04/2009 12:24 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home