MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Low-Carb Brussels Sprouts With Lemon And Walnuts From 'The Racing Chef'


Brussels sprouts that actually taste good? This I gotta see!

If I had to name for you the perennial least favorite foods of all time for most people, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Brussels sprouts would be at or near the top of that list. These little miniature cabbages used to repulse me so badly as a child that just the smell of them in the air would trigger an uncontrollable gag reflex that I couldn't hold back. It was THAT gross to me!

Now that I'm older (not THAT old!) and my palate has changed somewhat from that fat, freckle-faced little boy who hated Brussels sprouts three decades ago (after all, I ate some escargot for the first time in my life on my cruise last week--something I NEVER would have tried as a kid!), I'm willing to take some risks on foods that used to not suit my tastebuds very well. Because of Chef Nicky, I'm willing to take that chance on the Brussels sprouts.



Who is Chef Nicky? He's known as "The Racing Chef" because he feeds Team JEGS delicious homemade recipes to fuel them up for race day. It's an interesting gig that Chef Nicky is pleased to be a part of and his recipes are truly amazing. I was recently contacted by him about featuring one of his low-carb recipes with you today and I just about fell out of my seat when I saw it was made with the dreaded Brussels sprouts. But, as you'll see from Chef Nicky, he found a way to make it taste REALLY good.

Here's what he had to say about this recipe he created:

Brussels sprouts are one of the top ten items that people tell me that they do not like. It usually takes a little push for that person to try them again. But, I usually can change their opinion to that they now love Brussels sprouts.

If I am trying to change their opinion, I will cook the Brussels sprouts with bacon, onions, garlic, and a little hot pepper. The recipe that I am going to share with you today is also a hit. The key is to not overcook the Brussels sprouts. I don't like them either when they are overcooked.

This recipe is a very light recipe that can be served hot or chilled. It makes a great hot side for roasted meats, or a great chilled side for your picnic.


So, stop turning up your nose at Brussels sprouts and give this unique creation by "The Racing Chef" a try for yourself. ENJOY! :)

LOW-CARB BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH LEMON AND WALNUTS

1 Pound Brussels sprouts (Fresh/ Cleaned/ Trimmed) I like to cut an X into the stem of the Brussels sprouts so that the water can get in the stem for even cooking
¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
¼ Cup Walnuts (Chopped)
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice (Fresh Squeezed)
2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest (Fresh/Grated)
To Taste Salt
To Taste Black Pepper (Fresh Ground Telicherry)


- Place the Brussels sprouts into boiling water. Stir occasionally (Use about ½ gallon of water with 2 teaspoons of salt to cook the Brussels sprouts)

- Strain the Brussels sprouts when they are the desired texture. (The size of the Brussels sprouts is going to determine the length of the cooking time, so try one every few minutes, or poke a fork in them to see if they are done. They should be tender crisp when they are done.)

-Add the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly coated.

Note: If planning to serve the Brussels sprouts chilled, place them into ice water as soon as they are strained from the boiling water. Strain them again once they are completely chilled and proceed with the process.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Taraneh said...

This looks like a great recipe.
I have always liked brussel sprouts, though, especially with cheese. :)
I also wanted to say that your blog really helped me with the low carb diet I started this year and how much it has helped me and my family become healthier.
I was especially excited this week when my weight hit my first small goal. These next couple of days my weight went back up one pound, but my body fat has PLUMMETTED at the same time (according to my body fat scale).
I had no idea that body fat could change that much that fast.
I have been keeping my carbs low by eating meats/eggs, veggies, cheese, and other homemade low carb foods.
Since I probably needed to loose about 20 lbs. max, I did not expect fast weight loss, and I have lost around 5 lbs. so far, but my figure looks quite different, and I was very presently surprized when my body fat percentage dropped dramatically.
I've also had a lot more energy and better mood overall.
Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to everyone involved in this and other low carb blogs.

3/08/2008 11:05 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Tara and CONGRATULATIONS on your success! You keep it up, my friend! I'm so very proud of you. :)

3/08/2008 11:10 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

This recipe looks terrific. I like the idea of the walnuts/citrus zest combination. I have a very different but truly delicious b. sprouts recipe on my blog (http://caseyellis.blogspot.com) from back in December.
This sprouts salad is one of the most popular dishes at the party my favorite bistro throws for staff and regular customers each December. Because the sprouts are shredded, first-time guests often don't recognize them as such -- and those who think they HATE sprouts are soon returning to the buffet for seconds.

3/10/2008 3:05 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

Right after I posted the above I realized what a PITA it would be for people to scroll back through the blog to find the sprouts recipe, so I made a list of the low-carb recipes on the lower right-hand side of the front page.
Look for "Warm Brussels Sprouts & Pancetta Salad" near the bottom of the list.

3/10/2008 4:14 PM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

Hey Jimmy, thanks for this recipe! My dh loves brussel sprouts and we just bought some so now I can try this out for him. I hate them, but I'll give a try too and see if this recipe changes my mind. :0)

3/10/2008 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to jump in here to say I have always liked brussels sprouts - this recipe looks great!

3/11/2008 1:25 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

ok this is a bit late but I had to post my favorite way to eat brussels sprouts! me and my kiddos steam them with the jalepeno juice from a can of pickled jalepenos. Then we add butter it is super spicy but we just love them!!

3/27/2008 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home