MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Crazy Kamikaze Low-Carb Update Time

I don't normally like to do this because it doesn't give me a chance to be as opinionated as I wanna be in my blog posts, but that annoying hack attack and Blogger shutting down my blog for a week has me backed up with a ton of low-carb news that I can't wait to share with you. So, rather than hoarding all this great content, I'm just gonna throw it all out there for you to enjoy. There's a lot to share, so here goes.

This IndyStar column about a new study claiming low-fat diets are better for cardio health than low-carb ones. Only 20 people were included in this "study" and it's unclear how they quantify why low-fat was better. Hmmm, ya think it could be based on a biased OPINION rather than any actual data analysis? They really should check out this REAL study on the long-term heart health of people following a low-carb diet.

The long-term consequences of the Atkins diet are questioned in this WXII-TV story and it wasn't half bad. Usually there's such a bias against the low-carb lifestyle over the long-term, but this was pretty good. CHECK IT OUT!

Did you catch the March 2008 issue of Good Housekeeping? In a rather inconspicuous column about adult acne is women 30-50 years old, you'll never believe what an amazing low-carb nugget of truth that was found in it--listed among the reason why adult women suffer from acne after stress and hormones was a "carbohydrate-laden diet." Yippee! :D

Many of you have been asking about the Canadian documentary "My Big Fat Diet" which I was privileged to screen while attending the 2008 ASBP/Nutrition & Metabolism conference in Phoenix, AZ a couple of weeks ago. This film was shot by independent filmmaker Mary Bissell and her team at Bare Bones Productions and they are fully committed to bringing this to the United States. Contact your local PBS station to ask them to show the documentary. Additionally, they're working on making this available on DVD, so stay tuned for more information about that. Also, I have an interview set with Mary to share with you on my podcast show soon.

I love a good grassroots campaign when it's for a good cause. And my fellow low-carb blogging friend Regina Wilshire from the "Weight Of The Evidence" blog has a good one for you to participate in right now. It seems there is a petition that has been submitted to the FDA by various special interest groups in favor of pharmaceuticals trying to completely destroy and annihilate the dietary supplement industry--their primary competition. This is trying to be pushed through without any input from the public, so go read Regina's plea for us to get involved at her blog.

Wanna see some brand new "no sugar added" products coming out? Click here to see what's on tap.

One of my regular readers and low-carb success Burt stumbled across some pro-low-carb mentions at a rather strange place--The Disney Channel! As the father of a 4-year old and a 16 month old, the television stays on Disney. Burt said he's noticed several times a character talking about carbs. One of the shows was "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody" where one episode shows a character pretending to be a dog eating a doggy biscuit when she suddenly replies, "Ewww, that's too many carbs!" The other example is on a show called "Phineas and Ferb." The sister of one of the main characters was offered a shaved-ice snow cone and she turns it down muttering something about too many carbs. COOL STUFF, HUH?! ;) THANKS for the tip, Burt.

Did you hear noted celebrity vegan Natalie Portman went on the Atkins diet? (Note the date of this column for the full scoop!) Speaking of Atkins, last Thursday (when my blog was still down!) was the 5-year anniversary of the tragic slip-and-fall accident that took the late great Dr. Robert C. Atkins from us prematurely. Read long-time Atkins nurse Jackie Eberstein's moving tribute to the man she worked with for 30 years helping people understand the healthy Atkins low-carb nutritional approach.

The "World's Fattest Man" Manuel Uribe just keeps losing weight on a low-carb diet and inspiring millions in the process. He's approaching 600 pounds lost and counting...KEEP IT UP MANUEL! Check out all of Manuel's progress from his starting weight of 1230 pounds at my links blog.

Finally (for now!), I'd better be careful with my career as a blogger because apparently blogging for a living is a death wish. I don't see it that way as long as you set up the proper boundaries for yourself by not getting so engrossed in the work of keeping content on your blog that you sacrifice your health in the process. My formula for writing is to take lots of breaks throughout the day, rest when I'm tired, and spend quality time with my wife Christine when things get tough. Blogging has been the best job I've ever had and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I LOVE IT (although there's not enough time in the day to get everything I want to talk about in)!

That's it for now because it's getting late and I have to get out of town for the next few days. My sister-in-law is having a bridal reception on Saturday in Virginia Beach, so we'll be heading that way on Friday and coming back late on Sunday night. There'll be plenty more to blog about when I get back, so keep reading!

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

It just occurred to me after reading your column that when a celebrity finally accepts low carb as a way of life and loses weight and feels great and tells and shows the world about it, our troubles will be over. -- Or will they have just begun.

Like Willard Scott or that black guy or Jackie Gleason or Oprah Winfrey or somebody.

Look what John Travolta and Tom Cruise did for Scientology. -- It's bound to happen sooner or later only this time it will be real!


Oh, happy day!

4/25/2008 5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for me it was the macular degeneration link which was an "oooh another good reason Im doing this" (it's in my family)

processed white just isnt good for us!

4/25/2008 6:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just wondering if the Natalie Portman article is a joke. If you look at the bottom of the article, it says "It’s worth noting that today is April 1st."

4/25/2008 7:49 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS J.! Did you see my parenthetical note that said "note the date of this column for the full scoop?" I know it was a fake story, but it's funny they tried to pull this off. You're right, Tom! It will take a well-known celebrity touting this way of eating for it to become a social phenomenon. Although a lot more Hollywood actors and actresses use a low-carb diet to get into shape than would admit it. Brad Pitt comes to mind.

4/25/2008 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

curious..have you tried the next gen muffins?

your opinions?

4/25/2008 9:11 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Great question MizFit! I am away right now but do a google search on NexGen muffins and you'll see a review I did for them. Thanks!

4/25/2008 10:48 AM  
Blogger Kevin M. said...

Jimmy, I know you're crazy busy, but that FDA petition story is very important. This kind of serious legislative dirty pool could undermine the alternative-health care field, including low-carb, for decades. Comments of non-professional individuals will have little impact. The whole strength of this petition is that it is a secret. The biggest power you have as a blogger is to expose secrets. I think maybe it deserves a trumpet blast headline of its own. The entire althernative-health community needs to be notified about it. What do you think?

4/25/2008 11:59 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I agree it's an important subject, Kevin. I'm away until Monday or I'd blog more about it. I did hit this hard previously if you'll Google "FDA strongarming the vitamin industry." Sounds preposterous, but it can happen.

4/25/2008 12:40 PM  
Blogger Jen C. said...

While I love seeing low carb references in our real lives (especially those that shed a positive light on the lifestyle), I'm actually appauled at the ones discovered on the Disney Channel. I'm sorry, but children shouldn't be worrying about calories or carbs. And we wonder why we're raising a society of eating disordered young women? About the first time my child told me that something had too many carbs b/c they saw it on a TV show I think I'd throw my hands up in despair. I'm all for teaching healthy, low carb habits. But let's not call attention to it, shall we?

4/25/2008 12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to see you blogging again Jimmy. I'm really excited about "My Big Fat Diet" going to DVD? I cut of cable and dishes four years ago so I'm DVD only and REALLY want to see it. How did you like it?

4/26/2008 12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANKS

Im all in fer some muffins and shall click through you.

4/26/2008 8:02 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

It was both funny and educational about low-carb...I couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear! :) I look forward to sharing my interview with the filmmaker Mary Bissell on my podcast show soon as well as Dr. Jay Wortman who was the doctor who put the people on a high-fat, low-carb diet.

4/26/2008 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home