MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Slim Pickins For Splenda-Sweetened Sodas


I get flooded with e-mails about Splenda-sweetened diet sodas

There is a lot of interest by people who are livin' la vida low-carb to find a diet soda that is sweetened with sucralose, commonly known as Splenda, instead of aspartame, aka Nutrasweet. Unfortunately, the options are few and far between and are getting smaller by the minute.

One of my readers wrote to me recently about how Diet 7-Up has changed from Splenda back to aspartame without even telling anyone. This happened about six months ago, but some people are only just now noticing the change.

Here's what she wrote in the e-mail:

My Mom and I are both diabetics and we bought some Diet 7-Up to drink knowing that it has Splenda, which is safe for us, instead of aspartame. There was nothing on the bottle about the change except in the ingredients label.

My poor Mother was in bad shape for an entire day because of the violent sudden diarrhea that aspartame causes in both of us. If you could warn your readers about this, I am sure many people would be thankful.

In my diabetic class, over 90% of us have some type of reaction to aspartame ranging from stomach problems to migraines. None of us ever had any problems from Splenda.


Because of this e-mail, I thought it would be best to share a list of the Splenda-sweetened diet sodas currently available on the market. It is certainly slim pickins, but well worth looking for when you want a diet soda.

Keep in mind these Splenda-sweetened sodas are mixed with another sweetener called acesulfame potassium, aka ACE-K, to enhance the sweetness:



CAFFEINATED SPLENDA-SWEETENED DIET SODAS
Diet Coke with Splenda (12-packs only)
Pepsi One (12-packs and 2-liter bottles)



SPLENDA-SWEETENED DIET SODAS WITH NO CAFFEINE
Diet Rite, all flavors (12-packs, 2-liter bottles, 20 oz bottles)
Diet Cheerwine (12-packs, 2-liter bottles, 20 oz bottles)
Waist Watcher (12-packs, 2-liter bottles, 20 oz bottles)

You can also find many store brands that are sweetened with Splenda and ACE-K, but most of them have caffeine in them. Just read the labels carefully to avoid the ones with aspartame.

It will be difficult, but try not to buy into the highly-marketed, hyped-up diet sodas like the new energy cola Diet Pepsi Max and even Diet Pepsi Jazz or the vitamin-infused Diet Coke Plus and the ever-growing line of Coke Zero products just because they taste good with the ACE-K blend. They all contain NASTY-tame (that's my word for aspartame!) and should be absolutely avoided since there are just too many good alternatives available with very real questions about aspartame's safety still left unanswered.

Incidentally, for people who don't like the thought of using ANY artificial sweeteners, you'll be pleased to know there's a new version of Diet Coke that is tentatively going to have the plant-based all-natural sweetener stevia in it that has many of us low-carbers thrilled. Hopefully it tastes as good as the NuNaturals brand of stevia.

Coke is currently going through the process of getting FDA approval for their name for stevia--rebiana--but The Coca-Cola Company has some corporate muscle to strongarm them into acceptance. If and when this comes out, it will become my new favorite diet soda. I'm assuming this one will also be an ACE-K blend.

The diet soda market is currently dominated by NASTY-tame offerings, but hopefully that will soon begin to change. If it's a cost issue, then I know I wouldn't mind paying a little more to get Splenda in Diet Cherry Coke or Diet Mountain Dew. I'd even like to taste Splenda in Diet Barq's root beer sometime.

Why not offer a few more choices?

For low-carbers like me who love drinking diet soda, that's all we're asking for. How about it soda manufacturers?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

A reader informed me of another brand of diet soda made with Splenda/ACE-K and available on the West Coast:

Jimmy,

I'm doing low-carb on a budget because I'm disabled after surviving a head-on auto collision many years ago.

I recently bought a few Shasta sodas (3 liters for 99 cents!) for the holiday and was surprised to find it is sweetened with Sucralose and Ace-K only. It is quite tasty, too.

Is this brand only available in California or can you get it on the East Coast, too? If you can get it you should try it; not all flavors have caffeine, but the cola does.


Well, I am familiar with the Shasta brand, but I haven't seen it in stores here in my home state of South Carolina. It's good to know there is another option out there.

7/05/2007 7:36 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

I buy Diet Shasta Cola in 12 oz cans (six packs) at the DeCA commissary on Davis Monthan AFB here in Tucson, AZ. They also carry Diet Rite in 12 packs and 2 liter bottles and Diet Coke w/ Spenda in 12 packs and 2 liter bottles (although sometimes they are sold out) and Pepsi One in 12 packs and 2 liter bottles.

7/05/2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger Abishai said...

Also, for many people in the South who are fans of "Big Red", it is also sweetened with Splenda.

7/05/2007 11:46 AM  
Blogger Diet Pepsi Girl said...

There's actually a line of "healthy" sodas called Airforce Nutrisoda that are sweetened with Splenda and don't have any aspartame, caffeine, sodium, etc. They usually have vitamins and stuff added and come in several different flavors.
Unfortunately, although I've heard of them, you would probably have to order them online. They come in 12-packs but they dont' sell them in regular grocery stores.

7/05/2007 1:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A word of caution...As an overweight Type 2 diabetic I've been an avid fan of Splenda for quite a few years. (Aspartame gives me headaches if I drink 2 sodas or more in a day.) HOWEVER, I've recently realized my constant consumption of various Splenda beverages caused me to develop a severe case of insomnia. After finally tracking down the source of my problem and cutting WAY back on Splenda usage I'm sleeping like a baby!

Bottom line....moderation is the key to anything and we each have to find what works for us.

7/06/2007 10:56 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Could it be the caffeine and not the Splenda causing your insomnia?

7/06/2007 12:02 PM  
Blogger ravengal said...

If the SAVE-A-LOT chain of grocery stores is in your area, their house brand of diet pop is sweetened with Ace-k and Splenda. The Dollar General diet cola is also sweetened this way. However, I haven't checked this lately so this may have changed

7/06/2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

For those of us with ultra-sensitive palates (I'm not a super taster, but I'm not too far off), Splenda beverages taste BAD. Aspertame diet sodas have a taste, but it's not the over sweet icky that Splenda beverages (my sample has included all versions of Diet Rite, plus Coke w/ Splenda and Diet 7UP... maybe some others). And I can always taste the splenda, right through it. It might be a mixing issue that more time will fix, but Aspartame (which has unanswered questions, not real warnings) doesn't have this problem (for me).

PS- There are more warnings about Aspartame because it's been around longer. Give Splenda time and there will be worries about it too. There's a rich history of artificial sweeteners creating panic, specifically around the health of the brain, stretching back to ancient Rome.

7/06/2007 2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't see Diet Hansen's mentioned. They are Splenda-sweetened.

7/08/2007 11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Pot Kettle Black:

I have an ultra-sensitive palate myself and that is exactly why I won't drink anything sweetened with Aspertame. Not only do they taste terrible when you are drinking them but the aftertaste is even worse.

I find that Splenda sweetened drinks taste like the drinks that used to be sweetened with pure cane sugar back in the day. Some of the "designer" sodas are sweetened with pure cane sugar and that is what Splenda tastes like. Of course, Splenda is made from sugar and, after extensive testing, there have been no negative warnings against it.

But, to each their own.

6/11/2008 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to add more about my favorite Splenda sweetened beverage Diet Hansen's soda has some great flavors and they are caffeine and sodium free. Check'em out at hansens.com

7/24/2008 3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, diet amp, the energy drink is sweetened only with splenda.

10/29/2008 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm drinking Diet Cheerwine right now and it DOES HAVE CAFFEINE. Just fyi.

Thanks for this info!

12/13/2008 5:25 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

It's not supposed to. Unless they changed the formula without telling anyone. THANKS!

12/13/2008 5:26 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Diet Shasta sodas are also made with Splenda. I have fibromyalgia and have been staying away from anything with aspartame in it because it flairs up my symptoms. I drank a diet soda last week with aspartame, and the next day I was in excruciating pain and couldn't function for 2 days.

7/18/2010 5:07 PM  
Blogger dartdancer said...

My problem is that I can't drink a lot of caffeine, either.

They do have Shasta sodas here in the Kansas City area, though not in every store. Others include:
Weight Watchers, Jones' Diet, Dad's Diet Root Beer, Hy-Vee Brand Diet Sodas (if in your area). Many of these choices have no caffeine (some do).

I'm trying so hard to give up aspartame, but it's not easy. The search continues.

BTW, at Pot Kettle B, although I love the taste of aspartame Diet Coke and hate the taste of Splenda Diet Coke & 7-Up, there are a lot of Splenda sweetened sodas that taste MUCH better, IMO.

8/12/2011 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home