MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, May 16, 2005

Why Are You On Low-Carb, You're Not Fat?

During my weight loss last year, I liked to visit all kinds of restaurants. I really appreciate this part of livin' la vida low-carb because you just don't have too many options for dining out when you are doing a low-fat diet.

"Yes, I'll have a salad with a side salad with dressing that tastes awful please."

Poor low-fat dieters!

But on the low-carb lifestyle, you can transform virtually any meal into a delicious low-carb one by making a few subtle substitutions. And, as I have said many times before, most restaurants are more than willing to accomodate your request if it's within reason.

For example, I have not had any trouble getting a side salad and/or green beans in place of the potato and bread at most restaurants. And my favorite breakfast restaurant allows me to get extra meat, eggs and/or cheese instead of the carb-loaded pancakes and hashbrowns.

When I explain to servers what I want to eat, I always tell them up front, "I'm on low-carb." Most of them are somewhat understanding of what that means now that it has become such a prevalent part of our society (although there are a few servers who think all you can eat on low-carb is meat and just don't understand why fruit is not acceptable on low-carb -- I'm all too eager to educate them further so they can better assist the next low-carb customer).

Now that I have been maintaining my weight loss for the past five months, I still order my food the same way I did during my weight loss in 2004. Occasionally I will allow myself a few extra carbs, but I don't usually feel very good after doing that. That's why most of the time I'll order my meals low-carb.

But imagine my surprise recently when I told a nice, young waitress that I eat low-carb and she responded by saying, "Why are you on low-carb, you're not fat?"

Oh, I could have just jumped out of my seat and given that girl a great big hug! I laughed out loud and told her about my weight loss, but she still didn't believe me. I explained how doing the low-carb lifestyle had changed my life forever. To offer evidence of my weight loss, I returned later with a picture from when I was 410 pounds and she still found it hard to believe I was the same man. I get that a lot these days. :-)

Of course, the reason I still do low-carb is because it is a safe, healthy alternative to low-fat diets. Why would I change my eating habits just now just because I've reached my weight loss goals? A professional sports team doesn't immediately try to break up a team after they win the world championship, do they (at least not on purpose!)? Then why would you change the eating habits that brought you weight loss success? You need to dance with the one that brung ya!

People will compliment you on your appearance because losing weight looks good, especially to the people who used to know you when you were a lot bigger. Whenever I meet new people, I don't usually tell them about my weight loss. But somebody usually points it out to them and I go through the whole picture show again! It's kinda fun in a sort of self-absorbed way. But it also gives me a chance to tell people the truth about low-carb and how incredibly effective is can be for others to regain the health they have lost while losing inches from their waistline.

This blog and my upcoming book are invaluable tools that can be used for that purpose, too! THANK YOU to everyone who has told a friend about this blog. I pray that it help people to be encouraged and educated about their own low-carb lifestyles. As always, your comments are welcome anytime!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ijust discovered your blog over the week-end and have enjoyed reading it very much. Yes, the light finally dawned for me, too. I now know the secret of losing weight, as I continue to lose (effortlessly) on a low-carb diet. The secret is: "Don't eat any sugar, flour or starchy vegetables, and stay away from processed foods." I am also trying to stay away from the low-carb "bars" because I tend to like them too much, if you know what I mean. Your testimonial to a low-carb lifestyle and your weight loss story is inspiring, and I look forward to reading the book that you are writing. In the meantime, I hope you'll continue to add entries in your blog.

5/16/2005 10:44 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Welcome to Livin' La Vida Low-Carb, Sandy! Congratulations on making this your lifestyle of choice for weight maintenance and improved health.

Don't worry about me giving up writing anytime soon at this blog. Although I am staying quite busy writing my book (I'm on Chapter 7 now!), I still feel it is important to keep track of what's going on out there right now, too.

Come back often to read my response to the negativity that pervades the media about low-carb. THANKS again for finding us and tell everyone you know to come check us out!

5/17/2005 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home