MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Friday, November 11, 2005

Flying On A Plane Ain't What It Used To Be

My wife and I got on an airplane for the first time in about 6 years this morning for our trip out to the West Coast for the BIG book signing at CarbSmart on Saturday.

WHEW, what a day it was! After getting to bed around midnight, my alarm clock started blaring away that awful chirping sound at 3:00am EST and I got up immediately. My wife Christine on the other hand is a little harder to get out of bed. But she got up and we were out the door on our way to the Greenville/Spartanburg airport.

We arrived at the airport around 4:30am EST and got to experience what flying on an airplane in the year 2005 was like. After going through the airport security that now exists (complete with dumping the entire contents of your personal belongings into these bins that look like what they use at a restaurant to bus the tables as well as removing your shoes), I was confident that anybody who would want to try to do harm to people on a plane would have to be pretty patient and vigilant to make that happen now.

When we were able to get on the plane, I noticed something as soon as I sat down. WOW, my butt doesn't get stuck in the seat like it did 6 years ago! In fact, I actually had ROOM to wiggle if I wanted to. This may not sound like much to some people, but when your big fat rear has not been able to comfortably squeeze in between the arm rests when you fly, THIS IS A VERY BIG THING!

Also, for the first time in my life I did not have to use the seat belt extension. Ironically, our flight was delayed somewhat because they had to go hunt down more "seat belt equipment" as the flight attendant called them. There were a lot of overweight and obese people on that crowded plane.

Once we were up in the air, I expected we would have some kind of beverage and snack service provided. Boy was I wrong. While we got the beverage, they didn't give you the entire can like you used to get. I drank Diet Coke of course.

But I was also expecting to get maybe a small bag of peanuts (and looking forward to this low-carb treat), but they were not available. Instead, for three bucks you could buy a "snack pack" which I saw from another traveler who purchased one that it came with many carb-loaded foods such as Wheat Thins, Fig Newtons, crackers, and more stuff I wouldn't put in my mouth if I was starving!

So that's exactly what I did. I did manage to buy a couple of sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches on English muffins that I threw away in Chicago O'Hare airport, but that didn't last very long. When we arrived at LAX around 12:00pm Pacific Time, I was starving.

After a quick lunch consisting of chicken salad and fresh veggies, Christine and I went to the hotel room to rest. It had been a long day and my eyes were bloodshot!

Now I'm feeling refreshed and ready to enjoy my eventful weekend in Southern California. A special thanks to Andrew DiMino from CarbSmart for hosting my wife and I this weekend. We are so happy for the opportunity to share this time with those of you in the area. I've never seen so many palm trees in my life!

If you are in or around the Southern California area, then you are cordially invited to visit CarbSmart on Saturday from 1-4pm. In fact, while I was in the store this evening, a customer walked into the store and recognized me from the promotional poster hanging up in the store. She asked me about my book and we told her about the signing. But she went ahead and bought my book and asked for me to sign it, too.

Neato mosquito!

What a ride this has been with the release of my book "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" so far! And this is just the beginning. I have book signings scheduled for South Carolina, Virginia, and Wisconsin in the coming weeks and months with more new dates being added all the time. Keep checking my book tour schedule for the latest information.

If you are interested in hosting me for a book signing and/or speaking engagement, then please contact me at livinlowcarbman@charter.net.

SEE YA ON SATURDAY AT CARBSMART!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home