MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, October 16, 2006

Altena Sheds 200 Pounds On Atkins Diet, Does Half Marathon In Under Two Hours


Altena finished his first half marathon since losing weight on Atkins

When your life is completely transformed following a 200-pound weight loss experience, you really do start to feel like you can accomplish anything you want. The freedom that comes from knowing you have achieved permanent control over your weight is indescribable. Sometimes I have to pinch myself just to be reminded that this change in my life really did happen thanks to livin' la vida low-carb.

My blogging friend Kent Altena knows about this as well. Ever since he first wrote to me about his similar Atkins weight loss success last year, he has had his mind set on one goal: TO RUN IN A HALF MARATHON!

While I have not made that a goal in my life yet (perhaps someday, but not right now), it has been the driving force for Kent as he has vigorously trained for his opportunity to run with the athletes in the Des Moines, Iowa area. His weight loss story was featured in the local newspaper there back in April and they published a picture of Kent running in preparation for his half marathon.

Since June, Kent has been getting ready for the Des Moines Marathon and he knew it was going to be a challenge when he did it on Sunday. But he was ready and admits that he was "anxious to actually get out there." He wanted to run the race in under two hours, which would be 9 minutes per mile, and would have been thrilled to finish in less than 1:45, or 8 minutes per mile. With 1700 participants in the half marathon, how did Kent do?

He shares the exciting news about his first half marathon today in this blog post. I will reveal to you that he beat that two-hour mark and set for himself a solid performance to improve upon for next year. Kent has already signed up to do some shorter races to help him prepare even better for the half marathon experience.

CONGRATULATIONS, Kent! You have shown people that NOTHING is impossible when you are livin' la vida low-carb. Too bad People magazine passed on your incredible weight loss success story because what you have done is nothing short of remarkable.

Oh, by the way, Kent said he decided to "carb load" before the race.

"I ate 30 carbs instead of 25," he quipped.

HA! That's pretty funny, Kent! Keep them legs moving, my friend. Perhaps I'll get out there and join you in a race someday. I'm so proud of what you have accomplished and wish you continued success as you keep aiming higher and higher with your fitness goals. One thing's for sure, you probably had the best time for someone who once weighed over 400 pounds! :D

10-18-06 UPDATE: Kent decided to videoblog about his half marathon experience today:



Be sure to check out the pictures at the end of the video which show Kent crossing the finish line and get a load of this T-shirt he designed to share with his fellow competitors why it was okay for him to be walking during the race. All of us here at the "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog are so very proud of you, Kent! WAY TO GO!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kent said...

The race gave me an opportunity to mentally design my t-shirt for my next race. It is going to say on its back:
"I may be walking...

but at least I am not 429 pounds."

On the front it is going to have Missing or Wanted poster with 40 5-lbs bag of sugar on it. I pleased with how the first part of the race went, and now I can just fix all the newbie mistakes for next year. Next year might be the year I run the full too, but I have lots of work before that happens.

10/16/2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger AnOldHouse said...

Congratulations, Kent! Way to go!!!

-David

10/16/2006 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home