MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, November 27, 2006

SheKnows LowCarb Magazine Returns Online



SheKnows LowCarb
magazine returns with online-only presence

When January 2006 rolled around, there was only ONE low-carb magazine that had survived the media onslaught against livin' la vida low-carb--LowCarb Energy. In February 2006, they changed their name to SheKnows LowCarb and even did a feature story on my 180-pound low-carb weight loss success! That was cool!

Then, right before the summer they announced they would be shifting the low-carb content to their Diet & Fitness magazine, but then Coincide Publishing suddenly pulled the plug altogether on low-carb in June 2006 thinking interest in that subject was long gone. In other words, no more low-carb magazines! Boo hoo!

So imagine my surprise over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend when one of my readers alerted me to the fact that SheKnows LowCarb was back...er, sorta. While they are not bringing back the print version of this once-glorious low-carb magazine that struggled to be profitable enough to continue on earlier this year, the folks over at Coincide must think there is enough of a resurgence in the demand for low-carb information to provide some exclusive online content via their SheKnows LowCarb web site.

Currently there are two special issues for viewing RIGHT NOW!

The first one is a Holiday 2006 special bonus issue featuring strategies for resisting temptation, delicious low-carb dessert recipes and easy-to-make breakfast casseroles with tips for feeding a hungry party crowd for Christmas and New Year's!

The second one is the Winter 2007 issue and contains advice on making low-carb soup, creating a hearty low-carb meatloaf, a reference guide for eating out at an Italian restaurant, unique and scrumptuos omelets, fun and helpful kitchen gadgets and LOTS more recipes that SheKnows LowCarb has always been famous for.

If you are hoping to access this content for FREE, though, guess again. While it would be nice to have yet another place for low-carb recipes and information online at no charge, Coincide Publishing is charging an introductory fee of $9.99 for a one-year online access only subscription to SheKnows LowCarb.

While that is cheaper than the $6 they used to charge for the quarterly print magazine, it's still a little higher than I think most people will be willing to pay since there are many other FREE sources of low-carb recipes, news, product reviews and information like my blog as well as Low-Carb Luxury, among many others that I have listed at my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Links" blog.

Sure, I'm glad to see SheKnows LowCarb is trying to get back in the mix again, at least for the time being. But when their subscribers don't come flocking to them for a fee-based online magazine, I hope they don't get the idea that a low-carb magazine is a bad idea because I don't think it is. I can't tell you how many people have BEGGED me to make a "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" print magazine.

If the number of people reading my blog and listening to my podcast show are any indication of the number of people who are STILL interested in the low-carb lifestyle despite the constant negativity in the media, then it is my opinion that a print magazine is indeed a viable and potentially profitable option to return to the bookstore, drug store, and big box retailer shelves. The only people truly aprehensive about "low-carb" are those who oppose it!

I have contacted SheKnows LowCarb to find out what they plan on doing with their magazine and if there is anything special they will have for subscribers. Before they shut down the print magazine, I was supposed to be one of their contributing writers. In fact, I had already written TWO columns for them that were scheduled to be published in August and October. They never went to press. :(

If I hear back from them about their return, then I'll let you know what they have to say. Until then, if you'd like to subscribe, then CLICK HERE. If the online version is anything like the print version was, then this magazine will be well worth your time to check out. Let me know how you like it if you decide to subscribe.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger TESS said...

I had sent them money for a subscription to the print magazine. They folded but had already cashed my check and refused to refund my money.they never even honored it with a different magazine. I won't be subscribng to their online magazine any time soon since they can't be trusted.

11/28/2006 6:36 AM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

I won't be subscribing either. They have my money as well. Low-Carb Living did the same thing to me just before they folded. They offered me a great renewal price, I renewed online, then never heard from them again. :0(

11/28/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Spinster Sister said...

I use to subscribe to Low Carb Energy, Smart Cooking, Low Carb Living (thru eDiets) and CarbLite. They are all gone now.
Yet I was excited to see the online version of She Knows Low Carb that I joined up over the weekend. From what I can tell so far, the receipes and the photos are lush - in fact - I would dare to say that some of them are repeats from previous issues, BUT...
I am most looking forward to the new stuff coming up and if we all band together and tell Coincide NOT to pull the online version and more importantly what we want to see featured, I am sure they will oblige. Especially that their online version has only been available for about 1 week.

Maybe we can get Jimmy to write for them again!

11/28/2006 5:27 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I'm working on that, Randy. Haven't heard back from Coincide Publishing about it so far, but I will let you know when I do. :)

11/30/2006 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home