MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Pepsi Takes Diet Energy Drinks To The 'MAX'


The "invigorating" Diet Pepsi MAX drink arrives June 2007

In what is an obvious response to The Coca-Cola Company's hip and hot new low-carb energy drink product called Enviga, Pepsi-Cola North America today announced the creation of a brand new low-carb energy drink of their own called Diet Pepsi MAX.

There is very limited information available about this new Pepsi product releasing nationwide in June, but we do know it has zero calories and is fortified with extra caffeine and a little bit of ginseng to help "adults to get through the day." Pepsi has high hopes that this product will compete directly with Enviga and other similar energy drinks that have dominated the beverage market in recent years.

Nicknamed the "invigorating cola," Diet Pepsi MAX, which has done very well in test marketing with real consumers, is a product aimed at the 25-34 year-old demographic as well as anyone who is transitioning from sugary soda to diet soda. Even before I saw what it was sweetened with, I already knew Pepsi would be using a version of the ACE-K blends that have become popular with their current product line, including Pepsi One (made with Splenda) and the brand new Diet Pepsi Jazz (which has aspartame in it).

Rather than continue expanding their Splenda product line, Pepsi has stuck with their tried and true aspartame/ACE-K blend that has become the mainstay of products like the overhyped Coke Zero (which recently expanded their line to include Cherry Coke Zero as well). This is too bad since many low-carbers would prefer a Splenda/ACE-K blend instead, but the soda companies just haven't gotten that message clearly enough yet. Will they ever realize we don't like aspartame?!

Ever since I ended my recent diet soda embargo, I have been looking for more variety in my choices and Diet Pepsi MAX may provide that. But the jury is still out on it right now.

I contacted the corporate office for Pepsi today and left a message with someone there about conducting a taste test and blogging about it. I'll blog about it if I get the opportunity to try this product before June. Otherwise, I'll do a review as soon as it comes out in June.

One of the reasons Pepsi decided to make this new product at this time (aside from the heavy marketing presence of Coke's Enviga everywhere) is in direct response to a survey they conducted that found 8 in 10 people say they have trouble maintaining their energy during the day and 6 in 10 feel they can't get everything done that they need to get done in their daily activities.

Diet Pepsi MAX is being set up to meet the demands of that market of consumers with a delicious, calorie-free diet soda. Pepsi marketing spokesperson Cie Nicholson believes this is the right product at the right time for busy Americans.

"Adults have told us that they're constantly looking for the right balance to get them through their day and Diet Pepsi MAX is uniquely formulated to give the mind and body a boost," Nicholson contended.

You will see Diet Pepsi MAX coming in 20-ounce bottles, two-liter bottles and 12-packs of 12-ounce cans. This is a widespread product release that Pepsi is banking on being a viable product as will be evidenced by some pretty heavy-duty marketing and advertising when it comes out. Diet Pepsi MAX becomes the 13th cola product under the Pepsi name.

Stay tuned soon hopefully for my review of Diet Pepsi MAX if I hear back from them about the taste test. What do you think about the concept of a higher caffeine, ginseng-infused diet soda?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Hmmm. Personally I am not that happy with all that extra caffeine. Caffeine may stimulate insulin release and that's the last thing I want...

2/22/2007 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That coke splenda is some good stuff, but I'm hooked on my diet Moutain Dew.

I also love Diet Sunkist and Diet Mellow yellow, but I always return to the Dew.

2/22/2007 10:51 PM  
Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

Please tell me we are not celebrating the feeding of our children as well as adults, more caffeine along with Ginsing and artifical sweeteners? and you caffeine/sweetener addicts are excited about this? Please tell me this isn't happening.

2/23/2007 12:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Kustes said...

"Will they ever realize we don't like aspartame?"
Not until people stop buying it. Speak with your dollars and don't purchase products made with aspartame if you want them made with Splenda. Companies do what is profitable.

"is in direct response to a survey they conducted that found 8 in 10 people say they have trouble maintaining their energy during the day and 6 in 10 feel they can't get everything done that they need to get done in their daily activities."
If people would eat a normal, healthful, whole foods-based diet; get 8-9 hours of sleep per night in a completely dark room; and get some exercise instead of watching TV, they would have little problem getting through their days. Instead, they will turn to chemicals to do what they could do naturally.

Scott
Modern Forager

2/23/2007 6:57 AM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

I try not to drink any diet sodas that contain caffeine. Since this product contains more than usual, I will avoid it completely. As Science4U said, caffeine can stimulate and insulin response. I'll just stick with my Diet Rite.

2/23/2007 10:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just to clarify, SOME people don't like aspartame!!! I tell ya, they can put Splenda in any diet soda they want EXCEPT my Diet Coke. Since there's already Diet Coke made with Splenda for other people to enjoy, I really wish people would stop campaigning so hard to get my aspartame-sweetened Diet Coke taken away. Not everyone is on a Splenda-only WOE/WOD :)

2/23/2007 12:48 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Hey teapotsgalore,

I don't think anyone is trying to take away the NASTY-tame from your Diet Coke. We just want MORE choices that include Splenda, too. A caffeine-free, Diet Cherry Coke with Splenda/ACE-K is the IDEAL soda for me.

Keep on enjoying your aspartame-infested Diet Coke because they'll keep pumping it out for you. To each his (or her) own.

2/23/2007 1:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wrote to Pep.Co. not to long ago thanking them for their caffeine Free Diet MT. Dew...When I was not on my new life style I loved Mt.Dew, could not get enough...and this taste just as good...The only down side is the Aspartame....I told them I would love for them to make it with splenda like some of their other products..but we will have to wait and see.

2/23/2007 3:58 PM  
Blogger Suzanne Johnson said...

I find the new "energy" sodas an interesting concept. I haven't tried Enviga but blogged today about a new Splenda-sweetened "calorie-burning" soda called Celsius that had me buzzing this morning! I keep wondering if there will be a backlash against these energy drinks after someone drinks a dozen of them and has a heart attack?

2/23/2007 4:11 PM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

I'm with scott,

I like Aspartame. I don't like Splenda flavored beverages (too sweet for my current palate. It goes bitter if I drink too fast (for the sweetener).

Enviga is okay. All in all, I prefer something like Arizona's Diet Green Tea over Enviga, largely because Enviga doesn't taste like anything really. It's kind of reminiscient of freshness, but that's not really a flavor.

I don't buy Pepsi unless it's on sale below coke. Diet coke and the varieties with cherry and vanilla are my cokes of choice.

2/24/2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Ronald said...

Won't all that extra caffeine just root our teeth's faster?

2/24/2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

Ronald,

It's the sugar and acid that rots teeth. Caffeine doesn't do that.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may98/895674637.An.r.html

2/26/2007 2:39 PM  
Blogger Lili said...

Another one bites the dust! Diet 7up is no longer sweetened with Splenda as of a couple weeks ago. If you know where I could buy any of the remaining stock, please let me know.

3/14/2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Lost Lady said...

I just received a sample of diet pepsi max and I'm quite impressed. I have always shied away from Pepsi and stuck with Coke (Coke Zero is my favorite at this moment), however this isn't bad. I think it's going to be a nice alternative for those Pepsi drinkers who are looking for a little kick.

3/27/2007 11:19 AM  
Blogger todd said...

Yeah, this stuff is ok. As long as it has caffeine in it, it's fine with me. What happened to my Diet Vanilla Pepsi though? I can't find it anywhere. Someone's going to die.

6/14/2007 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home