MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, March 05, 2007

Diabetic Learns From Low-Carb Podcasts

It's so gratifying to hear feedback from people who read my blog or listen to my podcast shows about something I have discussed. It makes all the many hours of researching, studying, and writing worth every moment I have invested. Seeing changed lives happen right before your very eyes is truly something to behold!

When I recently did back-to-back episodes of "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" podcast looking at the latest research on low-carb diets and diabetes (you can listen to those shows here and here), I received an incredible story of low-carb weight loss and health success.

This quite literally speaks for itself:

I am a subscriber to your podcast show and I truly appreciate your enthusiasm on a subject that is now very near to my heart--diabetes! Just to give you a little background, I have been obese for the last 15 years (285 lbs on a 6’1" frame).

On September 12, 2006, I was diagnosed with diabetes (blood sugar of 400), high cholesterol (LDL 300+) and my triglycerides were through the roof (385 and rising). I was in bad shape.

I had tried what I thought was the low-carb lifestyle before and had a little success on it at first. But I relied too much on word of mouth for much of my diet information and therefore ate a ton of bacon, chicken and steak and completely left out the fresh vegetables. Needless to say, that plan did not work for me and I soon found myself eating a diet full of burgers, fries and other such crap again.

Well, thanks to The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show and Diana Schnuth's The Low Carb Lifestyle Podcast, I decided to study low-carb and understand what it really means. I even read the books this time.

Since then I have been eating a diet rich in fresh veggies and meats and I have confounded my doctor. I went back in for my 90-day checkup in December and "magically" I had lost 40 pounds. But most surprising to me and my doctor was that my blood sugar was absolutely perfect (it now stays well between 100-125), my cholesterol was down by 150 points and my triglycerides were down to 85.

I have never felt better and now have so much energy that I find it hard NOT to exercise every day. Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention is that I have a-fib and my heart was going into arrhythmia about every other day for 4-6 hours per day back before I lost the weight. I still get them now and then and need some more work there, but they only happen for moments at a time and only every few days now.

As of right now, I am down to 239 pounds which means I've lost a total of 51 pounds from my high of 290. I know it's not the 180 pounds you lost, but I'm happy as can be. I've got about 20 more pounds to go to get to my next goal weight of 220 pounds which I haven't weighed in 20 years.

Thanks for what you are doing to spread the truth. Keep it up!


That's one inspiring message for people who need to lose weight, control their diabetes, and get healthy! I LOVE hearing stories like this because it shows real people are changing their lives day after day following the principles they learned by doing the low-carb life the right way.

As always, feel free to share your low-carb success story with me anytime at livinlowcarbman@charter.net. I'd love to hear how livin' la vida low-carb has made a difference in YOUR life.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

nothing is as powerful as the truth... it's great to hear stories like this! :)

3/06/2007 2:03 AM  
Blogger renegadediabetic said...

It's sad to see the state of diabetes care via the standard dietary advice for diabetics. The more diabetics who can be brought to see the light of low carb, the better things will be.

3/06/2007 10:18 AM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

Absolutely wonderful!

3/06/2007 10:43 AM  
Blogger Mark McManus said...

This site is a great resource. This letter is inspiring and I'm looking forward to the new research coming out. I'll certainly be back!

3/06/2007 3:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful letter---I wish him the best of luck on his new life.
I have shared copies of the podcasts with my mom---trying to get her to reembrace the LC WOL---she had followed it along with me for a year--and lost 60 lbs---and got off her meds----after me working out of town for the past year---in which she reverted to her old eating habits gained 80lbs and 3 new meds---I'm happy toreport she is urrently returned to the LC life and doing much better. I'll be taking some of the research to her MD when she sees him next month MAYBE he will FINALLY get a clue......

3/06/2007 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home