MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Atkins Low-Carb Diet Has Become Automatic

One of the best parts about having a blog dedicated to low-carb and weight loss is the constant flow of brand new, ongoing, and long-term success stories of people who have made livin' la vida low-carb their permanent lifestyle change. As more and more people learn the unbridled truth about this "diet," the momentum just keeps building and building in a positive direction for the low-carb cause.

My cup runeth over with compliments in my e-mail inbox and it's humbling to think my nearly 200-pound long-term weight loss on the Atkins diet has helped others in their own journey. But nothing energizes ME more than to read positive accounts of other people who have made the Atkins low-carb diet automatic in their lives like I have.

Because these kind of e-mails are such an encouragement to me, I'd like to share just a few of the best ones I have received in recent weeks from people who are quietly living a healthy life. Prepare to be uplifted, encouraged, and inspired!

Here's a reader who found out about low-carb from her chiropractor:

Waaaaay back in 1999, I was working two jobs, was depressed, bloated, my skin broken out, etc. All the regular MDs told me there was nothing wrong with me. I went to a chiropractor who asked me about my diet. At the time I was doing the low fat thing, very little meat or protein. He handed me a copy of the Atkins Diet.

Of course, I lost weight that I really didn't need to lose during Induction and in my greed stayed on it too long. I didn't add back the carbs, and I didn't eat the right foods. However, I felt much better.

I cringe when people call Atkins the "bacon and brie" diet. I don't know. My copy of the book didn't want people to eat lunch meats, nitrites (only nitrite free bacon) and tons of cheese. I seem to remember olive oil, salmon, chicken, and nuts being mentioned.

However, nobody does that. They go right for the bacon and the butter. It really IS a whole foods diet if you do it properly. If you do it properly and actually DO what the good doctor said to do, you CAN eat whole grains, even pasta, but just don't over do it.


A new reader is also new to low-carb and already seeing results:

I just happened to run across your writings on the low-carb diet gig--nicely done! I have only just started the Atkins diet and am beginning week two. I started one week ago weighing in at 220 and in seven days have dropped 10 pounds.

I’m 5'10" tall and having serious knee problems from osteoarthritis. I face having my knees totally replaced with prosthetic joints. My doctor said losing weight would help and he was absolutely correct.

After losing just ten pounds, I am already feeling significantly less pain in my knees. My goal is to get down to 170 pounds--that’s 40 more pounds for me to take off.

The Atkins diet has been a piece of cake (no make that a hard-boiled egg). I’ll let you know how it goes.


Finally, an accidental diabetic finds a safe haven in the low-carb lifestyle:

I'm diabetic from pancreas damage caused by misdiagnosed gallbladder disease. I have a kidney transplant. The kidney disease is from a minor birth immaturity that damaged my kidneys and ultimately lead to kidney failure. In 2005, I had abdominal surgery. The surgical wound became infected with staph, I had septicemia, I was in a coma, my kidneys failed and I stopped breathing.

My family was actually planning my funeral, but somehow I survived. I spent 6 months on dialysis and then had the transplant. Afterward, I was given Prednisone and promptly gained 60 pounds. I was horrified. I've always had a weight problem (obese child and teen, trouble controlling as an adult) but had had the wieght under control for several years.

After a year of this, one Doc convinced (coerced) the other Doc to take me off the Prednisone, and my weight loss journey began. On my doctor's advice I did the low-fat, low-calorie diet. In 9 months, I only lost 15 pounds. Now, I'm really desperate.

Then I remembered the Stillman diet and the Drinking Man's diet. Low carb. Kind of scary with a new kidney and all the hype about how low carb may cause kidney damage. I started low carb after a lot of thought. I'd been given a second chance at life and I wasn't fully living it. Maybe low carb was the answer.

I'm very happy to say that it was.

Low carb gave me great food, effortless blood sugar control and I lost the other 45 pounds in short order. This way of eating is now the way of life for me. Because of the transplant, I have blood work done every month.

I see the proof of what low carb can do right before my eyes in the results of my blood tests and by checking my blood sugar. My kidney function is perfect. One doctor looked at my lipids profile, proclaimed I'm going to live forever and jokingly asked for a transfusion.

BTW, all my doc's (endo, neph, PCP and transplant surgeon) know I'm doing Atkins For Life and ALL of them approve. I know that's hard to believe, but they've all seen the wonderful results.

So, if you hear from people scared of low carb because they're diabetic or have a kidney transplant, be sure to tell them about me. By the way, your blog and sites are a great resource and I'm really glad you're out there.


WOW, what inspiring stories for us all! Do YOU have a low-carb story to share with the world (oh, okay, maybe not the WHOLE world, but at least the world of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb")? Then send it to me anytime at livinlowcarbman@charter.net. I'd LOVE to hear from you!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cormier said...

Hi Jimmy... This is a very inspiring blog, especially for people like me who've been dealing with a weight problem for ... well... forever. I've done low-carb before only to fall off the wagon, however it worked 100%. I felt great. Had energy. Wasn't bloated. Headaches decreased. I'm getting ready to go again. I feel terrible physically. Ugh. I have a referral to a weight-loss surgeon but that is a last resort for me. I'd much rather do it the natural way... and plus, taking a couple of months off work just to recover is really not possible. Anyway, enough of that! Great job and I will be checking out your blog on a regular basis.

4/12/2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS for sharing your comments, Brian! I'm confident you WILL be just as successful as I have been as long as you remained focused on what you need to do to make livin' la vida low-carb your one and only way to eat for the rest of your life.

That's what I've done for over three years and it's working magnificently! :) KEEP AT IT, buddy! I'll be here to provide education, encouragement, and inspiration anytime. Great to have you with us!

4/12/2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger Brian Cormier said...

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!

4/12/2007 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home