MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, April 30, 2007

Could An Intermittent Fast Help Hypoglycemia?

After I recently blogged about hypoglycemia as a possible side effect of livin' la vida low-carb, one of my readers had an interesting circumstance in her life that she wanted to know if anyone else has had experience with.

Here's what she wrote to me in an e-mail:

"I became hypoglycemic at 21 and had no idea what was suddenly wrong with me except that eating French fries fixed the symptoms. I was diagnosed and advised by doctors who didn't believe in hypoglycemia and simply told me to eat sweets and glucose tablets.

So after hugely gaining weight (glucose tablets led to me eating 6 meals a day to combat the worsening symptoms), I worked out over the years how to deal with it by trial and error. One thing that I have never heard any other hypoglycemic mention is that I discovered I can 'train' myself for a fast (for example, for 8 hours, if circumstances demand I will need to skip lunch that day) by fasting the day before.

On the first day I will be useless and shaky for the last few hours (I am luckily not too hypoglycemic and have never fainted), but on the second day I can function normally for much longer and don't need to eat until around the time when I gave in on the first day.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this, and whether there are medical implications that would make it worth investigating how and why it is possible."


I don't have any specific experience doing this, but it sorta sounds like the intermittent fasting plan that I tried last year for weight loss. Has anyone use this kind of strategy for controlling hypoglycemia? My reader and I'm sure many others who are reading the blog would like to know.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

I was totally hypoglycemic and now I am totally not hypoglycemic. I had to eat or I would get very ill most of my life. Now I eat whenever I want to and generally only twice a day, about noon and six or seven PM with zero hypoglycemic symptoms. My compulsive eating disorder left me too.

5/01/2007 12:02 AM  
Blogger renegadediabetic said...

I haven't had any experience with fasting and hypoglycemia. However, after reading Sugar Shock, it seems that treating hypoglycemia with sugar is like fighting fire with gasoline. The sugar picks you up for a while and then sends you into another blood sugar crash. How stupid can these doctors be????

5/01/2007 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home