MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, April 23, 2007

Golden Low-Carb Baked Macaroni & Cheese


This popular side dish is back on the menu for low-carbers again!

I am a bona fide fanatic when it comes to homemade macaroni & cheese. When I was growing up and my dad owned some buffet-style restaurants, I got so excited on the days he put this delectable side dish on the menu and usually piled my plate high with the stuff. Of course, that could explain how I got to be so fat for most of my life until I started livin' la vida low-carb.

So it was a major thing for me to give up my mac & cheese habit when I started the Atkins diet in 2004, but I did it despite all the kicking and screaming I was doing inside my head. If you read my book, then you know how much I absolutely LOOOOOOVVVVE it.

But wouldn't you know it, I've been able to find a low-carb recipe for macaroni & cheese that tastes just like the real thing. Better yet, it is for a baked mac & cheese (no cheap-o box version here, baby!). Compliments of our friends at Low-Carb Connoisseur, I'm pleased to present you with this easy-to-make recipe for Low-Carb Baked Macaroni & Cheese. ENJOY!

LOW-CARB BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE

3 eggs
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 lb grated sharp Cheddar
1 lb grated Mozzarella
1 box Dreamfields brand low carb elbow macaroni


Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 2 quart baking dish with spray oil. Cook Dreamfields pasta as directed on box, drain and set aside to cool slightly.

In a blender, combine eggs, cream cheese, butter and heavy cream until smooth. Fold this mixture into the cooked macaroni until well coated.

Place 1/2 cooked macaroni noodles evenly in baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese. Add remaining macaroni and top with cheddar. Bake for 1 hour. The top layer of cheese should be browned slightly.

Total Net Carbohydrates = 66.72
Net Carbs For 1/8 Serving = 8.34

Makes 8 servings

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Shasta said...

I have read that you have to be careful with the Dreamfields pasta. It must be cooked al dente for the carbs to remain low. Overcooking it, or reheating leftovers, supposedly released those magically locked up carbs.

4/25/2007 11:07 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

So the solution, Brenda, is to only make enough Dreamfields to eat in one sitting and ALWAYS cook it al dente. That's the best way to do it anyway. :)

4/25/2007 11:13 AM  
Blogger Murphy the Blues Hound said...

Are these really low carb, i tried them and they taste too good to be low carb. I thought it was some kind of hoax.

4/25/2007 2:02 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Dreamfields are ABSOLUTELY low-carb, Murph Blog! It's funny how we now EXPECT low-carb foods to taste terrible to justify that they are REALLY low-carb. That's too bad because pasta like Dreamfields and chocolate like ChocoPerfection are indeed the real deal. That's why I blog about them in such high regard.

Visit this page for more information about the Dreamfields pastas.

4/25/2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

1- With the DF, you must not overcook it because it gets nasty. I can still turn the sticks purple after overcooked DF, but it's not really worth eating. The flavor changes. I find that I get best results while cooking to the bottom of the suggested time range.

2- The only thing that I have heard (from DF's) that will unlock the carbs is doing something like the following: Cook it to done, then cook further in a pan with tomato sauce. I suspect there is something about heating with acid and sugar on the high temp of the burner. Because why make lasagna noodles if you can't make lasagna.

3- I have been making a variation of this recipe for nearly 3 years now. It is okay as written. It really takes off with sharper cheddar, replacing the mozz with either real mozz di bufalo or gouda (again, sharp is good) or parano, and grating parm over the top. Also, light application of tabasco or red hot, some gran garlic, some white wine all brighten it up quite a bit. Caveat: I am not fro the south and do not understand light flavored Mac & Cheese. I don't see the point.

This recipe will make 8 serves, which freeze & nuke back nicely.

I forgot to mention. I add chicken and/or ham to it to make it more protein power compatible.

4/25/2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Dahn said...

Oh man! This was delish.. I made a serving for 4 with intentions of eating one serving, saving the rest. I ate 2 servings even though I was stuffed after one. :-(
Great recipe.

7/04/2008 11:08 PM  
Anonymous Melinda said...

I just made this today for our cookout. There's just 2 of us, so I 1/4thd the recipe. Looks great, can't wait to try the finished product!

9/27/2009 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murph, you questioned Dreamfields really being low-carb. The proof is in doing a blood-sugar test after eating regular noodles and after eating Dreamfields. My diabetic friend swears by Dreamfields based on his test results.

1/25/2010 1:59 PM  
Anonymous LowCarbMan said...

I hope it stay low carb when you cook it because I don't like hard pasta and I cook it for a good 15 minutes.

2/22/2010 10:02 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I interviewed the president of Dreamfields on my http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes podcast in 2009 and he said not to cook Dreamfields longer than 10 minutes or it loses the matrix that makes it low-carb. FYI!

2/22/2010 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home